Do you read?

Luke_W

• 2 weeks later...

About a quarter of the way through The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. Enjoying it even if it does bombard you with characters and sub plots. I just love David Mitchell's prose, he does whimsy really well too, and it's about a fascinating place and time in history of which I was completely ignorant. Very enjoyable.

It's an interesting clash of cultures but I wasn't a fan of the direction it took after the opening section.

Three quarters of the way through now, Part Three and the British have just arrived. The deeper into this book I get the more I realise it's actually about the time, the place and the characters who inhabit it rather than about a 'traditional' plot. I'm enjoying it a lot. :)

• Like 1

Reading Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London at the moment. Really enjoying it. His daily search for tea is something I can associate with quite well. Nice to get some background on the desolation he was able to describe in Nineteen Eighty Four as well. 

I've been reading the internet. I'm tempted to look at the last page to see what happened. So far it's quite interesting, if a little tetchy - there's some Cats saying stuff about cheeseburgers (though the sub-editing of that chapter leaves a lot to be desired). Also it goes into  a whole buch of conspiracies. The politicians are the evil characters, in the main - kind of like the illuminati. But it also covers music, sport, drugs, sex, cars and gadgets and there's a kind of narrator called "Google" who helps when you get lost in the plot.

I'm about half way through, now - On the chapter about America and it being a good idea to head for the hills with lots of guns. That bit's funny.

There's already a sequel lined up called "the darknet".

• Like 3

Somewhere near the start there is a whole section of "Chuck Norris facts" which is actually quite amusing.   The problem is the exact same jokes get used again about five years later as James Milner facts and it's tedious.  I've not finished the internet either but I presume that they will be repurposed again at some point in the not too distant future.  The last page is kinda disappointing if you were expecting a revelation though.  It reminded me of  No Country for Old Men. 

• Like 1

I have Slaughterhouse 5 on my list to read soon. Care to elaborate any more, I'd be interested in your views.

I think, like the Rev said, it's not a book that contains a big reveal, it sort of demands that you fill that in yourself, but there's no development, no resolution, no discussion of the fascinating thing as to how he ended up this way, what will happen to him, whether there is some sort of redemption. Ultimately, it's like visiting with a mental patient who has lived through a terrible thing - you feel a sense of sadness, but ultimately frustration that there's nothing you can do and they're never going to change or learn or offer anything. It was like a character study of a character that should have been in a novel.

• 2 weeks later...

On a slightly related note I'm reading Ulysses and decided to abandon the annotation and just read it flat out and it's highly enjoyable, even if the allusions just go in one ear and out the other, in fact I nearly fist pump any time I get one.

Just finished Ulysses. Fantastic book, but not for the faint-hearted. At the start of each 'episode', I read a few pages ahead in the notes, but after that just went with the flow. 

I feel I would have got more out of it if I'd been familiar with Dublin's fair city, but hey ho. As a self-confessed fan of 1920s modernist literature, I felt I HAD to read it, and I'm glad I did. 

Chilling out now with a bit of Alan Furst ("Mission to Paris") for light relief. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't understand how Hitchens fell for the Iraq War hype, he was so sharp on just about everything else. There's a great debate online between him and Tony Blair. Well worth watching, it's a religion debate, and not long after Blair converted. Blair is made to look pretty silly.

Just starting "look whose back" by Temur Vermes

Hitler has just woken up in 2011.... Ok i've not got much further than that just now but it sounds like the book offers some thought provoking satire

Will report back in a few days ...

• Like 1

I can't understand how Hitchens fell for the Iraq War hype, he was so sharp on just about everything else. There's a great debate online between him and Tony Blair. Well worth watching, it's a religion debate, and not long after Blair converted. Blair is made to look pretty silly.

Think 9/11 sent him neocon.

Just starting "look whose back" by Temur Vermes

Hitler has just woken up in 2011.... Ok i've not got much further than that just now but it sounds like the book offers some thought provoking satire

Will report back in a few days ...

Look Who's Back  ;)

Â