Cameron Archer

Zatman

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I know it's shit, but we've almost had half a Grealish in terms of FFP leverage with the sales this summer. It's a huge advantage compared to clubs that have a lacklustre academy. 

Makes a change from our academy players in the past, indefinite loans and then losing them for free or for peanuts.

• Like 1

This feels right - I trust Emery's judgement, so there is no point in just keeping him on the bench.

Good price, low (ish) risk.

Either he goes a smashes it, in which case we've got a serious player who has developed for a good price - developed in a way he couldn't by staying with us.

Or he becomes Rhian Brewster - in which case we've sold him at his peak.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I know it's shit, but we've almost had half a Grealish in terms of FFP leverage with the sales this summer. It's a huge advantage compared to clubs that have a lacklustre academy. 

This is what Chelsea and Man City, and to a lesser degree Liverpool have done for years. And it's what fans miss when they complain about FFP.

It's almost worth running a youth team as a completely separate entity - bring in the players so that they can be sold to fund the first team. If one or 2 move into the first team squad completely a season, you are doing amazing work. 

• Like 1

So really the academies of the top clubs are revenue generating divisions of the main club - developing assets to be sold on for a profit to fund the purchase of established players. Any player who goes on to play for the club for any length of time are something of an anomaly and a bonus to the club. The bigger the club gets the smaller the chances of an academy player becoming a fully paid up member of the main squad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

So really the academies of the top clubs are revenue generating divisions of the main club - developing assets to be sold on for a profit to fund the purchase of established players. Any player who goes on to play for the club for any length of time are something of an anomaly and a bonus to the club. The bigger the club gets the smaller the chances of an academy player becoming a fully paid up member of the main squad. 

I'd actually argue it's more the other way around. The better you are the easier it is to bring through youth players and you already have a full team really of quality. 

Villa need to gamble on signings to improve but if you are already doing great you can look more to the future with your players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

My Sheff U mate tells me £20m buy back if they're relegated and £40m if they stay up.

So basically a £20m buyback then.

Very good for us. Basically 400k a year to get Archer premier league football for a season. 

15 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s better than loaning him to a championship side anyway. 

He'll be playing there next season if he sticks with these.

• Like 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

I'd actually argue it's more the other way around. The better you are the easier it is to bring through youth players and you already have a full team really of quality. 

Villa need to gamble on signings to improve but if you are already doing great you can look more to the future with your players. 

yep, can see that argument. Would be interesting to put a value of what it costs to bring an academy player through the ranks from the age of 7 to whatever camerons age is now. Multiply that by the number of academy players that come through and how few of them actually get resold for any sort of profit

12 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

This is what Chelsea and Man City, and to a lesser degree Liverpool have done for years. And it's what fans miss when they complain about FFP.

It's almost worth running a youth team as a completely separate entity - bring in the players so that they can be sold to fund the first team. If one or 2 move into the first team squad completely a season, you are doing amazing work. 

Yeah this is the model the clubs that already have a larger revenue model than us imploy, and it's a great supplementary income. I get that people might not like seeing youth players sold, fans always seem to have an affinity with the players who've come through our ranks, but lets be realistic. How many of these players that we're selling would realistically be of the quality to play regularly for a top 6 team, which is where we are intending to be? Sure Archer and Philogene would have been on the bench and played a fair few games depending on how we get on in europe, but not enough to develop in to reliable week in top level Premier League players. These deals are best for both parties. Realistically what are the odds Philogene, Archer and Ramsey all develop in to the level of player we'd need? I mean one might at a push, but the odds of all htree doing it is very low. This means we have more wiggle room to sign aonther first team ready player, and if any do reach the level we want we can always re sign them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

yep, can see that argument. Would be interesting to put a value of what it costs to bring an academy player through the ranks from the age of 7 to whatever camerons age is now. Multiply that by the number of academy players that come through and how few of them actually get resold for any sort of profit

It can't cost that much really.  Like 1 day wages of Digne!

I’d loved to have seen Cam lead the line for us but you can’t fault the business we’re doing here. Decent fee for Cam, Ramsey and Chuck in the last 12 months. 

This is why a good and functional academy is worth so much to a club. These guys are pure profit and if they take off in the next few years we can sign CA and AR back. 

• Thanks 1

Â