Cameron Archer

Zatman

Just now, Awol said:

Half a season with Vitoria Guimaraes might be a good test if he can get the game time? 

Can’t see that being a better level then the Championship. 

From what I read regarding UEFA squad quotas I’d imagine Archer will be staying at Villa till at least January. I’d imagine his pretty much a shoe in for the Conference League and League Cup games which are mostly played by January anyway if Villa go far enough. 

Just now, RichW said:

Can’t see that being a better level then the Championship. 

From what I read regarding UEFA squad quotas I’d imagine Archer will be staying at Villa till at least January. I’d imagine his pretty much a shoe in for the Conference League and League Cup games which are mostly played by January anyway if Villa go far enough. 

If he can get the game time with us then great, of course it’s better he stays. As others have said the most important thing for him is to be playing regularly. 

On 01/07/2023 at 22:46, abdulaziz1 said:

The question isn’t easily answered, and to answer it will take us to other questions. How much should we pay for Ollie backup? What quality would we get if a player knows he’s a backup? 
How much gamble is it to try Archer? 
Sometimes you won’t get the best solution for your issues, but you’ll take the most efficient one. Especially for the squad game, that’s what should be. So keeping Archer would save you 20m atleast, if he’s up to it great, if not then he could go for a good fee, and then try to upgrade on Ollie himself. I don’t think strikers are easy to find anyway. 
Was there better choices than Youri? Yes for sure, but for the money we’re paying (assuming we’ll have some competition for starting places) it was one of the best businesses. 
I think next year we shall look at upgrading on Watkins, until then we have to save money for the striker rather than getting short term ones and then fail to sell them. We can as well re decide next winter. However we shall get the second striker and winger right. If we got Arda or Willams, and Felix for example I think we’ve had a very good window. The squad can be filled with Buendia, Bailey, A.Ramsey, (Traore and Coutinho depending on their future here)..etc

I think having just Archer as back up to Ollie would be a recipe for disaster. Doing well in the Championship is no guarantee of success in the Prem.

As for England u21, I've never placed any value on performances of players at that level. A look through most of the stars of such tournaments historically is pretty hilarious. Some of the names in the squads wouod blow your mind.

Still, he can only beat whats in front of him so fair play, but we need proven top flight quality to push on. 

Play him in the CC amd maybe the early rounds of the ECL maybe. But better to loan him out.

On 04/07/2023 at 10:30, GlobalVillan said:

I think having just Archer as back up to Ollie would be a recipe for disaster. Doing well in the Championship is no guarantee of success in the Prem.

As for England u21, I've never placed any value on performances of players at that level. A look through most of the stars of such tournaments historically is pretty hilarious. Some of the names in the squads wouod blow your mind.

Still, he can only beat whats in front of him so fair play, but we need proven top flight quality to push on. 

Play him in the CC amd maybe the early rounds of the ECL maybe. But better to loan him out.

I don't think that'll ever happen tbh - he's not the same sort of player at all. 

I'm also of the opinion that he's got a lot to prove and do still. 

The jury's out on him.

Screenshot_2023-07-05-14-30-30-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.11108f57cabc2107deb7a59f56cf1d9e.jpg

Archer was far more productive last season than Watkins was his last season in the championship. I don't see why we can't be comfortable with Archer as our backup striker or even with Watkins playing off him in a role similar to what akpom played for middlesbrough. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Screenshot_2023-07-05-14-30-30-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.11108f57cabc2107deb7a59f56cf1d9e.jpg

Archer was far more productive last season than Watkins was his last season in the championship. I don't see why we can't be comfortable with Archer as our backup striker or even with Watkins playing off him in a role similar to what akpom played for middlesbrough. 

Screenshot_2023-07-05-14-30-54-50_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.ca81c2d597f5d3e0753fea2de345735d.jpg

These are watkins' stats. As you can see Archer created better chances and finished better than Watkins. 

I think he's ready to play back up to Ollie.  From Ollie's point of view, he was poor when he had an "equivalent" striker pushing him for his place, it seemed to undermine his confidence.  If we can get a wide attacker that can also go up top then I think it's a good balance. 

Jesus they don't like passing the forwards the ball. Only watched the last 15 but archer burst through 6 times in the time I saw and every time it was delayed and lost possession or balls gone out instead of pass him the ball.

Only scored as he created 90% of it himself. 

Good work and looked dangerous the entire time I watched, shame some of the players don't release the ball 5 seconds quicker, when he turns his marker and is clearly anticipating a throughball.

• Like 1

This is him now maturing. Because he isnt flashy you forget how creative he is . Knew what he was going to do and placed the perfect pass with the outside of his foot and then ran into the exact space to collect it back back and then bam . Goal  . 2 goals and an assist in about is it 2 hours of football played total ? 

17 minutes ago, Farlz said:

If he isn't given a chance this season then shut down the academy because there's no point.

I mean it depends what the point is. As fans we want to see the players come through the youth to the first team. But selling the Ramseys, chuck, archer etc would generate a couple of hundred million. If you throw Grealish in too.

Edited by turvontour

5 hours ago, Adman said:

I think he's ready to play back up to Ollie.  From Ollie's point of view, he was poor when he had an "equivalent" striker pushing him for his place, it seemed to undermine his confidence.  If we can get a wide attacker that can also go up top then I think it's a good balance. 

I think he's ready to go toe to toe with Watkins and I really like Ollie

Â