Cameron Archer

Zatman

Just now, useless said:

I don't know how good Brisbane Roar are

Not very, I suspect. But the point is of all the players on the pitch, some who have been £100m transfers, two other strikers who have played for England, etc, he was the one who stuck it in the net.

1 minute ago, useless said:

I don't know how good Brisbane Roar are so not sure how much we can read into the game, but I thought he played very well, contender for our best player in the second half along with Buendia.

You can only beat the players / team in front of you.  His main competition for the ST position also both played against the same opposition and I would say that they finished in the order Archer, Ings, Watkins.  I'm not saying that Archer should start against Bournemouth - but he's put down a bit of a marker and the other two will have to up their game if they want to stay ahead of him.

Obviously we don't see training day in and day out, but being that he's apparently been kept around for the moment rather than loaned out to be assessed I know what striker I've been most impressed by so far...

8 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

He sure did.

Mind you at least he connected with it properly, unlike Watkins' dummy for the goal 😬

Think Watkins actually connected too....perfect assist :P 

Just now, VillaAlex said:

He doesn't just score goals, he's busy, he links up play, he runs at defenders. I'm so excited, I think his Tevez comparison by teammates is very apt.

What was his overall play like today? I think everyone’s excited about the goals but can he link up play and contribute perhaps in the way Ings and Watkins do when they aren’t scoring goals? 

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

He doesn't just score goals, he's busy, he links up play, he runs at defenders. I'm so excited, I think his Tevez comparison by teammates is very apt.

Thats exactly it, he reminds me of Tevez so much, the peak Tevez who was an absolute machine. Archer even has that same build which makes him a nightmare for defenders to deal with, he will only get better imo.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What was his overall play like today? I think everyone’s excited about the goals but can he link up play and contribute perhaps in the way Ings and Watkins do when they aren’t scoring goals? 

There were moments where he could of passed rather than shot, but on the whole, he was busy keeping the defenders on their toes… linking well with players in the build up… overall he had a better half than Ollie, who I thought was anonymous 

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

There were moments where he could of passed rather than shot, but on the whole, he was busy keeping the defenders on their toes… linking well with players in the build up… overall he had a better half than Ollie, who I thought was anonymous 

Good to know. 
I really like him, I just the know the argument levelled against him and in favour of Ings and Watkins will always be what they do off the ball. Watkins - work rate, pressing. Ings - passing, link up play. 
As mad as it sounds, Archer needs to do more than just score goals. Nowadays, strikers have to press and defend from the front. It's one of the reasons why United would be better off without Ronaldo - even though his goals paint a different picture. 

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we sold one of Ings or Watkins and had Archer as understudy, I wouldn’t complain 

I think considering he will play 2 up top in some games and 1 in others it's quite likely you'll see all three stay.

45 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Thats exactly it, he reminds me of Tevez so much, the peak Tevez who was an absolute machine. Archer even has that same build which makes him a nightmare for defenders to deal with, he will only get better imo.

Taller than Tevez tho' (looks it anyway)

I think he should stay as we've got cups and 5 subs, plus we'll get a 2nd training camp with training games before the restart of the season on 26th Dec. 

Cam can go out on loan in Jan to a top Championship side if he needs mins

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Good to know. 
I really like him, I just the know the argument levelled against him and in favour of Ings and Watkins will always be what they do off the ball. Watkins - work rate, pressing. Ings - passing, link up play. 
As mad as it sounds, Archer needs to do more than just score goals. Nowadays, strikers have to press and defend from the front. It's one of the reasons why United would be better off without Ronaldo - even though his goals paint a different picture. 

His movement today was very good and his running in behind caused problems, one stage he made an over hit Mings pass into a dangerous opportunity when we should have won a corner

I think his link up play could be worked on, he tried at times but didnt always pay off. The one people say he should have squared was more difficult as was a few defenders between him and Ollie

• Like 1

Â