Set Pieces

mikeyp102

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I hate short corners. Always have. 

You drag your entire team into the oppositions box and you decide not to whip the ball in. Just bonkers. 

The odd one is ok for variation is ok, but not the majority. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The odd one is ok for variation is ok, but not the majority. 

Not for me. There's an old Norwegian national coach Egil Olsen (had a brief stint at Wimbledon). He's all about statistics. He always had his team play very direct and hoofball'esque football. He had an argument I remember that to score goals you see better results if you get the ball into the oppositions box. The end. It's a simple way of looking at it, but in terms of corners I completely agree. 

Then there's the fact that short corners often makes you very at risk for counter attacks. 

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yesterday, it felt like every time we had a corner we played it short quickly and I keep wondering when the last time that worked out for us was?

Good question. I feel like the short corners generate quality chances for us but I can't remember the last time we scored from one. 

Maybe they aren't that effective. 

30 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d be interested to see stats on how we compare to other teams with corners and free kicks over the years. Are we awful or is it just that they rarely actually result on goals?

free kicks we are quite good, Hourihane got a lot of assists and Traore got one yesterday. Corners we are shocking especially with Mings and Konsa both goal threats

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

free kicks we are quite good, Hourihane got a lot of assists and Traore got one yesterday. Corners we are shocking especially with Mings and Konsa both goal threats

We've converted about 4.2% of all our corners this and last season combined. Considering the average is apparently 2.2% in the Premier League(based on a calculation this guy did for the 2010/11 Premier League season. The average could've changed since then https://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/977/what-percent-of-corner-kicks-turn-into-goals#:~:text=On average%2C the data show,of corners and goal scoring.), I don't think we're doing too bad in corners. 

From that same link, it says that the average PL team scores a corner every 10 games. We've already had 3 corner goals this season and we haven't even played 10 games.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yesterday, it felt like every time we had a corner we played it short quickly and I keep wondering when the last time that worked out for us was?

I feel like if targett was the one receiving the short corner it would be fine. His crossing from those positions is very good so I don't understand why he is the last man. Or often times on the edge of the area. Drop either mcginn or Luiz deeper and allow them to put the ball back into the box quickly if it comes back out. 

On 22/11/2020 at 17:56, Laughable Chimp said:

We've converted about 4.2% of all our corners this and last season combined. Considering the average is apparently 2.2% in the Premier League(based on a calculation this guy did for the 2010/11 Premier League season. The average could've changed since then https://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/977/what-percent-of-corner-kicks-turn-into-goals#:~:text=On average%2C the data show,of corners and goal scoring.), I don't think we're doing too bad in corners. 

From that same link, it says that the average PL team scores a corner every 10 games. We've already had 3 corner goals this season and we haven't even played 10 games.

I kind of suspected this. WDFAFC, but so does everyone else. 

I do regularly question why Mings is constantly just guarding space on corners. Time and time again, the opposition’s biggest players are free to attack the ball. The zonal marking doesn’t seem to be working very well, maybe time for a change? 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Putting the aerial dominant Mcginn on the tallest defenders.

Brilliant strategy if I must say so myself. What could possibly go wrong?

McGinn is supposed to block the run. Smith referred to them as blockers in the interview with sky. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I do regularly question why Mings is constantly just guarding space on corners. Time and time again, the opposition’s biggest players are free to attack the ball. The zonal marking doesn’t seem to be working very well, maybe time for a change? 

On the replay for their first last night he was on the edge of the 6 yard box not even close to any of their players and nowhere near the ball, he should be marking their biggest threat.

• Like 1

Just now, mykeyb said:

On the replay for their first last night he was on the edge of the 6 yard box not even close to any of their players and nowhere near the ball, he should be marking their biggest threat.

It really isn't rocket science.

Stop overcomplicating football when it's a really simple game!

Â