Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Our defender who's no 16 (cant find lineup) she alone is really bad and is going to cost Villa the points, shes having a right stinker.

EDIT/ while I was writing that we have equalised so it's now 1-1, Hanssen fired in a 30 yard shot over the head of the spurs keeper.

Edited by Dave-R

That is absolutely shocking, Alex Morgan fires a shot at our keeper from the left of the box and the spurs player comes hurling towards Vice (our keeper) only what looks to have booted her in face, shes clearly down and out they have given the goal and no free kick to Villa.

Seems you cant escape the poor officiating, the goal shouldn't of stood. 

2-1 to spurs..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

That is absolutely shocking, Alex Morgan fires a shot at our keeper from the left of the box and the spurs player comes hurling towards Vice (our keeper) only what looms to have booted her in face, shes clearly down and out they have given the goal and no free kick to Villa.

Seems you cant escape the poor officiating, the goal shouldn't of stood. 

2-1 to spurs..

One of the downsides of no instant replays. Would have liked to see that again. Certainly looked like the studs were up.

• Like 1

Just now, Five Ken McNaughts said:

One of the downsides of no instant replays. Would have liked to see that again. Certainly looked like the studs were up.

It did look like studs were up and it looked nasty as hell, I felt it myself. It should of been disallowed just for the intent because they were more concerned over the ball going in the net than they were the safety of our keeper.

I would sub our number 16 though she has been horrendous and been caught sleeping way to much, now whether shes having off game or is just bad I do not know, i just would not being her on second half.

Also i think we have been abit to slow at shutting spurs down, not to mention slow at making quick decisions, certainly in there half,hopefully second will be much better.

3-1 to spurs and to be fair they deserve it because our defence is just like watching our mens first team last season. Mistake after mistake. I have to be honest our CB is like watching the female Mings lol..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/womens-sport/2020/12/05/aston-villa-women-training-players-brains-bodies/

How Aston Villa Women are training their players' brains as well as their bodies

Villa's Student of the Game programme was the brainchild of sporting director Eniola Aluko

Asmita Ale and Caroline Siems both cringe at the thought of their university class-mates finding out they have a top division footballer in their midst. "I don't think anyone in my class knows," Siems says of her second year Psychology class. "I haven't met anyone in person and no one turns on their cameras on our video lectures."

"You’re not going to be like, 'I play for Aston Villa,' while on Zoom," Ale adds, and they both laugh.

They are two of six Villa players benefitting from the club's Students of the Game programme, which sponsors their educational courses at Aston University. Ali and Siems are undergraduate students, Villa captain Marisa Ewers is completing a masters degree and defender Natalie Haigh has been given a dual role as footballer and analyst intern this season.

The idea for the programme came from Eniola Aluko, the club's women's football sporting director. A former England and Chelsea striker, she completed a law degree alongside playing and says it was her top priority to help others at Villa.

"It was the first proposal I wrote coming into the job earlier this year," Aluko says. "I balanced education and football for a long time, and always felt that it was something that clubs could do more. As female footballers, it's even more important, because we don't have the financial security that exists in men's football. I've been part of clubs that went bust and you've got to find a job. Thankfully, that's not so much the case now, but I still think we need to invest in our players as people and education is a huge part of that."

Ale and Siems both say football is their main priority, but Villa's programme was a big selling point, especially for Siems who signed from Frauen-Bundesliga club Turbine Potsdam this summer. "I’d been studying psychology in Germany for two years," Siems, 21, says, "and I actually found out through Eni that Aston Uni could offer me second year psychology. It made the decision to join easier."

Ale, 19, has been at Villa's academy since 2010 and said it was an easy transition after finishing her A-levels last season: "My parents were like, education first, whereas I’d rather have football first - this is an in-between. I think Eni’s really passionate about education too, the way she speaks about it is really powerful."

The team are still struggling to adapt to life in the Women's Super League, with just one win from five so far, but Aluko is helping  the club become a trendsetter in the classroom. She says she has already fielded calls from other WSL sides on the programme, as they explore ways to retain young, talented players. "That, for me, is the most exciting part about this - the recruitment element," Aluko says. "If you look at Alessia Russo (Manchester United) and Grace Fisk (West Ham) now in the England squad, these players wanted to follow their education and we lost them to the American college system for four years because we don't give them an alternative option.

"Students of the Game is not full scholarships, hopefully we can get to that point, but it gives players a reason to stay playing in the best league in the world, while also progressing their education. We want it to have a ripple effect in the women's game."

That is the long-term aim, but for now Siems and Ale are, like many students, getting to grips with learning remotely under Covid-19 restrictions. It at least makes optimising their time easier, ahead of playing at home to Manchester United on Saturday. While both missed out on the traditional "fresher" student experience,, there is one student cliche they are well versed in. "I procrastinate and I’m quite behind at the moment.," Ale says sheepishly. Siems nods: "Me too, I have to catch up."

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't realise she was the Japan world cup winning captain

So yeah I'd say a decent signing... 

Captain, number 10, female superstar. Yeah not bad. Like a female David Silva. Huge signing for the girls.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

No transfer windows slamming shut in the women's game?

Not a clue, theoretically same as the man's game you can sign anyone anytime but you can only transfer their rights and register them to play during the window and they don't play for a couple of weeks so it's not a problem 

Does this mean they are now confident they are staying up and/or this will cement that?

Sounds like they have the same plan as the men.  Invest a lot of money to stay up then go bigger again. 

Â