Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Really poor goalkeeping there, followed the ball across goal and lost her positioning - if she'd taken 2 or 3 steps less she'd have saved that comfortably, which is a shame as she'd made 2 really good saves beforehand.

1-3 now - how is that not a handball?! 😂

Edited by StewieGriffin

13 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

when our buget is one of the lowest thats what happens

But it shouldn't be 40 shots to 1 should it. That's like Accrington Stanley v Real Madrid. We are a midtable premier league team v a top Premier league team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But it shouldn't be 40 shots to 1 should it. That's like Accrington Stanley v Real Madrid. We are a midtable premier league team v a top Premier league team.

i must admit it shouldnt its been dire this half

Yep. Disappointing really. We've ridden our luck, but it's always annoying to see defenders out jumped like that for their second.

If we strengthen anywhere it has to be in defence first and foremost.  We need a quality centre half. Patten, Corsie and Turner just aren't good enough.  For someone of her experience that was shocking from Corsie for their third. Just standing there waving her hands.  Kick the ball away if the whistle doesn't sound.

9 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Really poor goalkeeping there, followed the ball across goal and lost her positioning - if she'd taken 2 or 3 steps less she'd have saved that comfortably, which is a shame as she'd made 2 really good saves beforehand.

1-3 now - how is that not a handball?! 😂

The officiating for that goal was hilarious.  

1 shot is absolutely embarrassing. This side needs genuine investment but don’t see that happening at all. 

The summer will tell us a lot about the direction of this club. 

Hey ho. I was happy with the first half, but the second half was just relentless from Arsenal and we had no answer.

It's going to be an interesting close season. Big changes needed or we're just wasting our time. Liverpool have shown that the top 4 is not a closed shop, despite what others say.

Pretty much sums up our season try hard for a part of the game, give away stupid goals, the fact we have to play Daly in midfield shows were we need to invest - prob need 3 starters in the middle of the park for me.  Weird changes, not sure what the need to get Corsie on was for, we needed to swap out the top two, not sure what Lehman has or hasn’t done to not get a sniff.

Gap to top 3 is not this big (was a top 4 last year), squad depth is the biggest thing, they can swallow up injuries, Arsenal have shown they are beatable this season, the top 2 not so much so.

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

Not sure what people were expecting, this type of scoreline was always likely and would have been no surprise if it was worse, even with us leading at halftime this Arsenal team beat Chelsea 3-1 a couple of games ago, and I think beat Man Utd by the same scoreline, they also had massive psychological advantage over us having had us beat within twenty minutes a couple of games ago and since promotion this is the first time we've conceded less than four goals in home league fixture against them, even last season when we were doing well we lost 4-1 to them at home

We were playing one of the best teams in the league whilst our squad is utterly depleted, van Domselaar, Lucy Parker, Staniforth, and Kirsty Hanson all unavailable, that's four players that would be starters for us, and then we lost another starter in January without time to replace her, and then we've had injuries and illnesses this week, some days we only had twelve players in training, so some of those in today's squad probably not even fully fit

It's where we're at at the moment, hopefully the club does enough, in the summer so that we're stronger next season, and better placed to cope with injuries, not expecting us to throw a load of money at it and suddenly become a top four team, but we need to compete better for that fifth place and take it from there, although to be honest such is the amount of changes needed that next season could end up being more of transitional season

Might as well start the league with the top 6 having 2 wins each and us having 12 defeats and then play the rest of the games. Embarrassingly non competitive when it comes to this lot. Yes I know we got a win against Tottenham, but…. Meh. 

Edited by Tayls

3 hours ago, beachboys1 said:

when our buget is one of the lowest thats what happens

Is the budget really that bad with Daly, Lehmann, Jordan Nobbs, Leon etc. These are all good international standard players.

The stats for this game pretty embarrassing especially as Arsenal miles off challenging for the title so not as strong as in recent seasons.

Not great finishing quite a few points off Spurs and Liverpool as looks likely. The respective managers of those clubs are getting more out of their squads than Carla Ward is getting out of ours.

• Like 2

Seventh will be disappointing but given the circumstance could have been worse, if you'd have said at the start of the season that we would lose Blindkilde and McLoughlin in January, Staniforth, and Paker would miss half the season or more, van Domselaar would miss more than a third of the season, Hanson and Dali would miss as many games as they have, and the squad would be as depleted as it is and has been since January, then I don't think anyone in their right mind, or that knows anything about our squad as an whole or the WSL in general would have expected us to finish top six, if we had have done, it would have no question been a bigger achievement than finishing fifth last season although obviously less enjoyable, it's still not impossible now, but would take an unlikely set of results for it to happen

Over the last eight WSL games, we've taken more points than Man Utd, the same as Spurs, just one less than Liverpool, and two less than Arsenal, our overall form hasn't been bad for a while, what really killed our season was those first five games

Edited by useless

I have got tickets for the Villa West Ham game at VP. Never seen womens football live before.

I am taking my daughter who has been with me many times in the upper Holte to see the mens footy, the wife who was seen only 2 games of footy in her life, one of them was the 6 - 1 win against Sunderland a few years ago.

But.....I am also taking my 10 year old granddaughter who has seen Ipswich play a couple of times, but never watched a game of womens football and it is her first time at VP. She also supports Liverpool as all her friends at school do as well. I think I have failed as a grandparent......

I really hope that I can convert her...if not she can walk all the way back to Cambridge 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turvontour said:

Way too simple to just view this as "Premier League team".

Firstly:  Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City.  Since 2015, the top 3 sides have been Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City - the only time this was broken was last season with Man Utd coming 2nd.  Man Utd have played catch up (I assume increased funding?) but there's still a "top 3".  Since the league has been 22 games long, the gap between those who have and those who have not has been 15 points, 10 points, 10 points and currently maybe only 8 points.

Secondly:  Women's professional football is both a] new and b] has nowhere near the depth of talent that the men's game does.  There are largely maybe 9 European clubs that are "big" in the game and the rest just exist.  Those being Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Lyon, Bayern Munich, Wolfsburg, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City.  From memory, Roma and Juventus are decent and a couple of Scandinavian sides too (might be Hacken and Rosengard or something?) but largely the European powerhouses are those 9 sides.  The best players for the best national sides play in those teams.  There's really very little variation to this; but, then, the women's game is new and developing.

So, yes, it looks bad on the face of it (and I'm sure we'd be expecting to do better than 1 shot), but the gap is genuinely massive.

Edited by bobzy

Â