Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

On 13/03/2024 at 19:55, beachboys1 said:

obviously never comitted used us to get a bigger stage in her eyes

Arsenal not being able to get over the line with regard to Earps is fuelling this, but regardless: players will always place the possibility of realistically and rapidly achieving personal goals ahead of loyalty to a club, and the better the player, the more elevated the goals. (To come at it from a different angle: which current Villa player(s) do you think would be unconditionally committed to representing the club?)

Really hope we can win tomorrow, need something positive after what's seemed like relentless bad news for a while now, and to keep slim hopes of a top six finish alive.

Would be nice if everything clicked for once, no mistakes from our defenders, our attackers to all have good games at the same time and for everyone to click, and for us to take our chances.

Not sure what kind of team we're going to be able to put out with the above injuries and the possibility of others, at least it's been confirmed that Leon served her suspension against Liverpool, so should be available.

I've just looked at Everton's form, they've only won one of the last six in the league, losing the other five, and they've only won one home game in the WSL all season, albeit that win came in their last home game, so they might see that as a turning point.

• Like 1

That was a really poor first half from us, can barely put more than a few passes together, when we do get in their final inevitably one of our players will either over pass it, under pass it, or over run it, so any chance we might get doesn't come.

Not sure what we're trying to do with the system either, looks 532 with Daly for some reason playing as one of the midfield three behind Leon and Salmon, it just doesn't look like it's working at all, this match should have been a golden opportunity to get three points, no idea why we've chosen it to experiment.

Everton haven't looked good themselves, which makes it all the more frustrating, play as good as we were previous to Liverpool, and we would win today, but we're making things incredibly difficult for ourselves, against an half decent team the game would probably already be over

Need a massive improvemet second half

Hopefully a scrappy goal from Leon or a daly special drag us out of this, only way I see Everton scoring is if we gift it to them.

dont mind Daly in midfield, she is good a directing them but it leaves us short up top as Dri likes to drift and get involved all over.

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

Much better second half albeit I didn't see the last ten or so minutes after their goal, a shame about that, I think we made the mistake of letting them come on to us too much, and a shame for Leat who I thought was excellet otherwise, underrated goalkeeper.

Great for Dali to get a goal hopefully that gives her a confidence boost, and good to see Gregory get some minutes, from what I saw I thought she looked good when she came on

Three big points—the difference between maintaining pressure on 6th and being in immediate danger of being reeled in from below. Shame about the clean sheet going west. Villa, Spuds and Leicester fighting it out for runner-up-to-the-best-of-the-rest spot (dress rehearsal of the F.A. Cup semi-final tomorrow between those other two).

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Great for Dali to get a goal hopefully that gives her a confidence boost, and good to see Gregory get some minutes, from what I saw I thought she looked good when she came on

Nice for Salmon to get a goal. It was notable how deep Rach Daly was dropping back behind Salmon and Leon; she was really helping to keep it calm in the middle, from what I could tell (only saw the second half of the live stream). She works close spaces really well, holds up, spins away, makes lots of good little lay-offs, knits play together; she's such as asset.

• Like 1

Missed the game also but great win, much needed. 

You know, we need to get out of the Bescot ASAP. Play away every week we'd be great.  

Strangely enough we're only six points off fourth place now, but Man Utd have Bristol City at home tomorrow, so that will go back to nine points

Leicester and Spurs playing each other is a shame as well, if Spurs had a tougher game we could have potentially moved up to sixth if they got beat by three goals, the best result in that game is probably Leicester winning by one goal, as it would keep them below us and keep us on the same points as Spurs

That said our next two games are Arsenal at Villa Park and Leicester at Bescot, so for us to stand any chance of top six we're going to have to start getting results in scenarios where we don't normally, that is beating a top four team, or actually winning more than one league game in a season at Bescot

The Bescot gets talked of as though it carries a curse or something, but a properly trained and drilled football team ought to be able to perform on any pitch prepared to professional/FA approved standards. Villa obviously for the most part haven't performed well there, but the ground itself can't rationally be held responsible. (Is the Alexander Stadium still in the offing? Any atmosphere generated would be more diffuse there with the pitch being isolated by the running track and whatnot, but the wide-slung, open-plan lay-out might appeal to the players, and it would offer something visually distinct that could help create a buzz about AVWFC and help promote the women's game generally. Evening matches could look spectacular there lit up by the floodies under a big sky.)

Had to miss the game today but great result and pleased to see Dali and Salmon score.

Hopefully a confidence boost for us going into the remaining games.  

Â