Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Man Utd and Liverpool winning was predictable, a shame about Spurs beating Leicester though, it's even more annoying looking at next weekend's fixtures as Spurs have Bristol City at home whilst we have Arsenal, so the most likely scenario is us being six points off sixth, unless we can finally beat a top four team this season, I keep thinking surely it has to happen eventually, but just not happening for us this season, hopefully we're extra fired up to give them a better game than we did in the cup, even a lucky 0-0, would do

Scrabbling for a bit of encouragement, Arsenal will have one eye on the League Cup final being played on the Sunday following (the only trophy they can still win, unless the form of Chelsea and City in the WSL suddenly careers off a cliff); their players might be inclined to try and nick a win as economically as they can to minimise the risk of injury and reduce recovery time, which might allow for more time and space to play into. For the same final-just-around-the-corner reason, Jonas might start the game with more of a second-string side, although a) a second-string Arsenal will still be very handy, b) any lesser-played players who get picked will be using the game to make a case for being considered for the final, and so unlike regular first-teamers will regard playing at full intensity to be a necessity, and c) it'll give him the luxury of being able to stick on a Mead or a McCabe or a Russo for an impact cameo if he needs to. Ilestedt at any rate is out for the season, so Villa won’t have to deal with her threat at set pieces. 

Obviously I wish van Domselaar well with her recovery, but I was half of the mind that if she's leaving in the summer, then we should be playing Leat in goal for the rest of this season anyway or at least start rotating her and van Domselaar, as we've got nothing major to play for, and Leat herself is a good goalkeeper in her own right - did brilliantly when she came in for Hannah Hampton last season, I think we've conceded just ten goals in her nine WSL appearances, by our standards that's very good going, she also did very well in the Conti Cup, saving four penalties against Man Utd - so deserves a chance to show she's worth considering as No.1 for next season, she was unlucky not to be given it for this season

Of course all that is predicated on van Domselaar leaving, she might not, and Leat's own future is up in the air as well as she's out of contract in the summer, she's still young but might not want to say if it's only as second choice, so could be a case of either Leat stays as No.1, or she leaves, and either van Domselaar or a new keeper are first choice, with Sophia Poor as No.2, Poor very young but is rated highly and was playing for our first team in pre-season  before dislocating her shoulder, the way things are going she might make her WSL debut this season

I see Carla Ward saying some days this week we only had twelve players available for training ahead of the Arsenal game and that she's used to such circumstances at her previous clubs. Not really a good look for us, considering her previous clubs were small heath where things got so bad she and the players had to make an official complaint, and Sheffield United who were in the four tier and part time until she took them to the Championship

Club needs to do more to back the women's team in the summer, I don't think the signings in of themselves last summer were bad at all, but we needed more, twenty players in the squad not nearly enough, especially in the women's game where injuries seem to be so common place, even just signing a few promising Championship players to pad out the squad in addition to the main signings would make a difference, if we could produce a few of our own that Ward trusts to play that would help too

Hopefully we've got enough to put out a decent team tomorrow, would be such a big result if we could somehow get a win or even a draw, it's one of those where if we play at our best and they have a bad day we could sneak a result, but if we're not at our best it could be another big defeat

• Like 2

Decent goal, one of the only times we have made our passes count in final third, good quick move.  Grew into the game, gave it away a few times again to begin with and feared the worst  - but keeping our shape well, kind of like the Daly in CM role - she is good at directing the team, gets stuck in and has a decent engine.  Would love a second goal, Arsenal will Chuck everything at us in the second half (hope not a repeat of reverse fixture) we can catch them on break.  A good chance here to get that elusive point or 3 against one of the top three.  Goal seemed to give a few a boost 

I think we're playing really well so far. Got a game plan and sticking to it. For all Arsenal's possession in our half, Leat hasn't had too much to do.

Makes a huge difference having Daly in midfield. Is there a more complete player in the women's game? She can play anywhere to such a high standard. She'll probably have a go between the sticks before the season is out!

Great through ball from Nobbs for the goal.

Let's hope we can see this out.

To judge from the radio commentary they're working hard and showing discipline at the back. Of course, you fear an Arsenal second-half switch-up, but so far they've done well. Good to hear that Daly's doing well as a string-puller in the middle; her versatility is such a boon.

I never get carried away by the type of situation we're in now, in fact I would still have Arsenal down as favorites, as these teams can turn it around so quickly, and score two or three goals in a short amount of time, and unfortunately still long way to go, I wouldn't be super confident against a team like Arsenal, unless winning by three goals and not much time left

Edited by useless

Â