Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

1 minute ago, useless said:

All our teams, U18s, 21s, first team and women's team won this weekend.

It’s incredible isn’t it. I’m also a big Leicester Tigers and England rugby supporter. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a positive weekend of results. I’ve just spent the day watching highlights of all the matches over and over!

It would be great if Villa women could get to the final. I reckon we would take a pretty large following. I’d go for sure. The improvement that they’ve made this season is really impressive.

• Like 1

It is scary how they are developing. In fact i guess this was the blueprint we had for the mens team . It shows consistency in fhe background as a club.

A team to get us up. A team to survive . And then add real quality and star power to start winning more and more. 

At times the football is immensely enjoyable to watch with far less stoppages due to fouls.  You can see the patterns of play and movement that is being drilled into them. Carla Ward is a hell of a manager it seems. 

I think once we have strengthened again in the summer there will be a strong case for Villa to really start pushing womens football to our fans. We play a really good brand of football . I just hope we do not get gutted by the top 3 in the summer as there are a few that would not be out of place in those teams. 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, useless said:

We've had more than twice as many attempts at goal than them, eleven shots on target compared to their two, will be a travesty if we don't win this game. We've brought off Daly now as well so won't have her to take a penalty should it come to that.

From memory, similar happened in the league against West Ham.  Absolutely battered them on the stats, lost 2-1.

Just been watching the highlights of the match.  Dali looked absolutely superb.  But has anyone seen anything about why our goal at the end of extra time was disallowed?  I've watched it three or four times - the ball was inswinging so it can't have been that the ball went out of play.  There is clear space between pretty much all the players and no defenders at the near post look like they were impeded and / or appealing for anything.  The ball goes straight to their keeper who has no-one within probably 1.5 metres of her and she dropped it almost at the feet of our player who smashed it into the net.  It was direct from a corner so no off-side.  No Villa player touched the ball on its way into the centre so again no offside and so the only touch was their keeper dropping it.  For all the debate about the Arsenal goal being disallowed for the defender holding the keeper by his arm - I would have loved someone to go through this footage and figure out what on earth the ref was thinking.  Thankfully it made no difference in the end - but if we had gone out on penalties after that it would have been an absolute traversty.

Edited by allani

41 minutes ago, allani said:

Just been watching the highlights of the match.  Dali looked absolutely superb.  But has anyone seen anything about why our goal at the end of extra time was disallowed?  I've watched it three or four times - the ball was inswinging so it can't have been that the ball went out of play.  There is clear space between pretty much all the players and no defenders at the near post look like they were impeded and / or appealing for anything.  The ball goes straight to their keeper who has no-one within probably 1.5 metres of her and she dropped it almost at the feet of our player who smashed it into the net.  It was direct from a corner so no off-side.  No Villa player touched the ball on its way into the centre so again no offside and so the only touch was their keeper dropping it.  For all the debate about the Arsenal goal being disallowed for the defender holding the keeper by his arm - I would have loved someone to go through this footage and figure out what on earth the ref was thinking.  Thankfully it made no difference in the end - but if we had gone out on penalties after that it would have been an absolute traversty.

Its probably just a really bad error. The ref cant see the keeper and just assumes they were impeded. You just look at a keeper and a free kick is awarded these days.

46 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its probably just a really bad error. The ref cant see the keeper and just assumes they were impeded. You just look at a keeper and a free kick is awarded these days.

That was my assessment too.  I mean it looks such an easy catch to make - so I think the ref assumed that there must have been some contact (even though none of the West Ham players appealed).  From the angle she had I assume that it looks like our players were closer than they actually were - so she possibly unfortunate that the TV angle makes it quite so obvious that she got it wrong.  Hopefully, she will see the highlights and try and get into a better position next time.  Mistakes happen and thankfully in the end no harm done. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Pound for pound she is up there with Kamara as the best footballer on Villas books.

Wonderful footballer . 

One of those players that always seems to have time when she is on the ball and her vision is different level (almost Sid-esque).  I mean for our goal everything looks like she is set to shoot and then she spots the run of Daly and finds her with the perfect ball for a tap in.  Seriously impressive.

23 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

It is scary how they are developing. In fact i guess this was the blueprint we had for the mens team . It shows consistency in fhe background as a club.

A team to get us up. A team to survive . And then add real quality and star power to start winning more and more. 

At times the football is immensely enjoyable to watch with far less stoppages due to fouls.  You can see the patterns of play and movement that is being drilled into them. Carla Ward is a hell of a manager it seems. 

I think once we have strengthened again in the summer there will be a strong case for Villa to really start pushing womens football to our fans. We play a really good brand of football . I just hope we do not get gutted by the top 3 in the summer as there are a few that would not be out of place in those teams. 

There's been some good coverage in the press too recently.  I think plenty of people are looking at us really challenging the top 3 /4 next season.  It's a big ask but we've closed the gap loads.  It feels like we're in a great position to pick up players this summer rather than worrying about losing players.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I mean there can't be too many better managerial partnerships in world football than Ward and Emery.  The club have done an amazing job to get those two in.  So impressed.

Â