Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Currently the Brazilian with most goals in Europe’s top five leagues this season according to this article. That's quite something.

Might have changed after the game yesterday thou, no idea.

Douglas Luiz would be great for Arsenal. But Villa’s main man should stay where he is.

Why the love?
He is now the Brazilian with most goals in Europe’s top five leagues this season which is no small achievement and he’s become axiomatic for Villa’s push for the top six. He has six goals in 16 appearances and is very much in the beating heart of the team.

He’s got that Brazilian flair which enlivens most games and with Ollie Watkins ahead of him taking advantage of the chances he creates, it’s proving to be a very effective tool this year. The manager clearly sees him as an important vessel through which to process a lot of the play and that seems to have developed his game into an all-round performer, great with close control but also able to find the strikers with longer balls and crosses. He can also slot home a penalty, having got two this season.

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-john-nicholson-what-so-great-about-douglas-luiz-aston-villa-arsenal

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not that I know of. Last one was when Gerrard was still here, that’s why people are worried about a release clause cos we were terrible when he signed and we’d just turned down offers from Arsenal for him.

I always thought that Dougie was dispensable if a big offer came in but recently I’ve thought him more important to our style. So while most players have a price, I’d say Dougie’s price is growing all the time, so the price would have to be very high and the replacement very good, certainly better than the way we blew the Grealish money, most of which went on Purslow projects and welcome videos. 

Think Dougie should sign a 2 year extension and become top 3/4 earners at the club. Hopefully we end in top 6 this season and be close enough to the top 4 to mean there is progression here. I feel if he can stay in Brazil squads it will help us too

For Villa to progress we need to be able to sell a top player and reinvest in the team and become better as a result. 

• Like 1

I hope a contract extension is on the cards. But if we don’t make CL I can see us having to sell one star player to help balance the books and to continue to build a competitive squad. Dougie is in this bracket unfortunately.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-douglas-luiz-31417076

Douglas Luiz will have to agitate for a transfer this January if he is to stand a chance of joining Arsenal - as Aston Villa simply have no interest in entertaining a sale.

only way this would happen if luiz downed tools and that won’t happen 

Edited by blandy
extract added

39 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

These arsenal rumours just won't go away. Hopefully it is because contract negotiations are underway, which makes sense given his form under Emery and a recent Brazil call up 🤞

You’re right, there will always be rumours about players when we and they are doing well. That’s the nature of the beast. A new contract can help to quieten these things down for a while. But we’re a strong we’ll run club now so whatever happens it should be on our terms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

These arsenal rumours just won't go away. Hopefully it is because contract negotiations are underway, which makes sense given his form under Emery and a recent Brazil call up 🤞

Well people on here shouted for more media attention on Unai and our players.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I always wonder where rumours like this come from. Is it Arsenal, trying to unsettle him  or his agent trying to generate some interest or completely made up with one journo following another?

I obviously hope it is just contract negotiations.

Edited by WallisFrizz

Rumors about players going to Arsenal, Manu U, Liverpool and so on gets clicks. I'm sure Arsenal would love to sign Dougie but unless there is a clause they have zero chance to do so anytime soon.

Bit impressed that the media are saying we might ask for £60m thou. Thought they would want us to sell him for £35m or something...

3 hours ago, burchy said:

I think Dougie and Kamara are key to our successes, without him our midfield is loads weaker. He makes us tick. We need him long term to get to where we want to get to. 

Get CL qualification and a new deal offer will be quickly forthcoming.

12 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I always wonder where rumours like this come from. Is it Arsenal, trying to unsettle him  or his agent trying to generate some interest or completely made up with one journo following another?

I obviously hope it is just contract negotiations.

It will be leaked from the Arsenal end.

Rice to Arsenal rumours started as early as February last season.

I'm not sure the point of it though. Doug knows Arteta rates him from the bid they put in right at the end of the August 2022 window.

I'm relaxed about this. Reason being, Arsenal were sniffing around him when he had 9 months left and he still signed a contract here, when we were 17th. Also, if there was a release clause then it would surely be out in the open by now. He seems to genuinely love it here. 

3 hours ago, sne said:

Rumors about players going to Arsenal, Manu U, Liverpool and so on gets clicks. I'm sure Arsenal would love to sign Dougie but unless there is a clause they have zero chance to do so anytime soon.

Bit impressed that the media are saying we might ask for £60m thou. Thought they would want us to sell him for £35m or something...

I think it would take twice that to even come to the table. £150 mil in two installments or £125 mil in one go might make us sell. Anything else F off. Arsenal can't afford him anyway

Â