Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's got a song. 

Douglas Luiz.

Douglas Luiz.

Douglas Luiz. Douglas Luiz. 

Douglas Luiz.

We are Aston Villa. We don't need anything more imaginative than that. 

That is a good point. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, striker said:

Prowse better than Luiz. Prowse affects the game more. 

Tell me you've not watched Villa play in the last 6 months without telling me that you've not watched Villa play in the last 6 months.

Luiz is how we play football under Emery.

• Like 3

Our problem is now he’s getting noticed big time - big offers will come in next year. Whatever happens, we’ll be making a massive profit on him, and never thought he’d be here 4 years when we signed him. 

• Like 1

There was a few occasions today where he was narrowly denied what could have been incredible assists. A couple in particular to Watkins and Diaby respectively where he threaded through balls that a Burnley defender just got their toe onto at the last second.

• Like 3

On 27/08/2023 at 21:29, Amed said:

Our problem is now he’s getting noticed big time - big offers will come in next year. Whatever happens, we’ll be making a massive profit on him, and never thought he’d be here 4 years when we signed him. 

On the flip side - Luiz knows that the way we are playing gives him the perfect platform to show off his abilities and put himself in the limelight for the Brazilian national team.  He'd need to be very confident of being the main playmaker at another team.  So it will take a big offer for us to consider selling him, a big contract to tempt him and also some huge promises about his role in the team.  There will not be many teams around who can hit all three of those.  Hopefully we've got the backing to be braver on the first, more able to match the second and proven track-record on delivering the third.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I can assure you I’m not posting to get attention. It’s my honest opinion on both players.

I’ve watched Luiz in every live game on Sky. For the life of me I cannot see what all the buzz is about. 

Yes he’s a very tidy player but for me Prowse affects the game more.

Admittedly he got off to a tough start to his Villa career with being so young but technically there was always a player there.

Since the Project Restart Douglas Luiz has been fundamental to Villa's fortunes and was absolutely brilliant in that run-in.

Luiz has improved every season, adding goals to his game, assists and leading by example. As a Brazilian, Luiz is hungry for the ball and demands the ball, this is a wonderful trait and his positivity drives Villa forward. His technique as already mentioned is better than many, quick one-touch passes, exceptional control and through-balls just a snapshot of his reading of the game. He will also improve under the tutelage of Emery at the helm.

Sometimes people see what they want to see even when it is wrong.

10 minutes ago, striker said:

I can assure you I’m not posting to get attention. It’s my honest opinion on both players.

I’ve watched Luiz in every live game on Sky. For the life of me I cannot see what all the buzz is about. 

Yes he’s a very tidy player but for me Prowse affects the game more.

Your opinion is fine but you have said this before and get around 4 pages of responses about it. Now you’ve said the exact same thing again 3 games later. 

You can think Prowse is better than Luiz. I have no issue with that and West Ham fans probably think the same after his start there. 

But surely you can see how bringing it up out the blue again will be seen as trolling.

Luiz could play in that West Ham team and do a decent job. But there’s no way ward prowse would be anywhere near luiz’s level in an emery team. He doesn’t have the technical ability to play the type of passing game emery wants to play. That’s the difference 

• Like 1

Ward-Prowse mainly affects the game through dead ball situations - 6 of his 9 goals last season came from either free kicks or penalties. He's perfect for a team that prioritizes attacking from set pieces. He doesn't offer that much in open play, which probably doesn't bother Moyes too much given West Ham's play style. He will match/surpass his highest G&A stats this season because he's playing with a higher calibre of finishers at WHU vs Southampton.
Luiz has better stats for passing and progression and is much more integral to Villa's build-up play. He's also starting to arrive late in the box more often, is effective with his corners (we should be scoring more from the chances he creates) and is now on penalty duty (we will be getting more this season with Diaby, Zaniolo, Moreno etc. on the pitch) so I expect his goals and assist stats to be even better this season (20 goal contributions in all comps is realistic, I think).

They're both excellent, non-similar players and they affect the game in different ways. Personally (bias included) I'd much rather watch Luiz as part of Emery's fluid attacking style of football, but I can't knock people for enjoying Ward-Prowse's set piece excellence.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 2

Â