Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

New contracts these days doesn't really mean much.

All it means is we will get premium money for him if a champions league club is in for him.

Agree that the contract is only as god as the fee we can get for him, but from a business standpoint this ranks even better than getting the silly money we got for that Chelsea reserve a few months ago..... If the performances on the pitch can one day match the business acumen of the club we will be in very good shape. We live in (never-ending) hope.....

18 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

All it means is we will get premium money for him if a champions league club is in for him.

We will be fine then, can’t see any CL clubs paying Premium money for him. He was a decent punt at £20 million as a squad player. Only English clubs can pay a premium and he’s not a starter for any of the top 6 clubs imo. 

23 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I can’t tell you how long it is but can confirm Alisha is happy with it. 

Especially after working with no length previously 

• Haha 2

Not to be the typical Villa fan turd in the punch bowl but I feel like amongst all this will he won’t he with his contract and the interest from Arsenal that we have rewritten a bit how good he is as football. He’s decent but he’s far from Arsenal’s level. 

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

yes!

Excellent news.  I do think that Doug, Boubs and another (yet to be signed) CM would solve many of our issues by giving us balance and control in midfield.  Doug has struggled to do that because he's been partnered by McGinn and JJ more often than not and so teams can just press Doug harder and deeper.

I'd love to think that he has seen something to be more positive about - but if not I hope that at least the new release clause is pretty good for the summer. 

1 minute ago, allani said:

Excellent news.  I do think that Doug, Boubs and another (yet to be signed) CM would solve many of our issues by giving us balance and control in midfield.  Doug has struggled to do that because he's been partnered by McGinn and JJ more often than not and so teams can just press Doug harder and deeper.

I'd love to think that he has seen something to be more positive about - but if not I hope that at least the new release clause is pretty good for the summer. 

Kamara as DM, Luiz as shuffler and JJ as box to box is the right blend 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

That seems like a pretty darned big deal to me.  If a player good enough for a CL club to be interested can still leave just so as long as it brings us big money that is a hell of a lot better than them leaving and us getting a packet of peanuts.  We've got a hell of lot of work to do before we will be in a position where a player will turn down CL football to play for us.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have to admit I thought a move to Arsenal would be too good to turn down but I knew from a very good source how happy he was at the club and settled in Birmingham so always hoped he would sign. 

Glad we aren’t losing him on a free. 

You do yourself a disservice, you’ve been confident he was staying for as long as I can remember. 

35 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I am completely bemused by this news, it's good of course, but what has changed and what has he been promised?

I would assume he’s been given a hefty signing on fee which would compensate for any signing on fee he would have received as a free agent. A good increase in wages. And possibly a release clause at an affordable price that won’t price him out of a move if he wants one. All assumptions but would make sense to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

I agree In principle, but out of contract he would be in a far stronger position to negotiate wages with potential suitors.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Kamara as DM, Luiz as shuffler and JJ as box to box is the right blend 

I would still want another player in there.  I'd like the option of having Boubs, Luiz and someone who is a bit of the best of both of them for the big matches and then having the ability to use JJ (and possibly even McGinn) in the last 30 or for games where someone breaking from the midfield beyond the attacking 3 is likely to be more effective.

But based on our current options - hell yes that should be the starting 3 every day of the week and twice on match day!!!

Â