Matt Targett

villan-scott

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

One of the promoted teams might take a punt on him as the look to sign PL quality to stay up.

We wont get the money we expected to get from Newcastle though 

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We wont get the money we expected to get from Newcastle though 

Given that he was our player of the year last season and has been very solid for Newcastle and helped them to a mid-table finished, we should be making a decent profit on him. Will be a good test of how strong a negotiator Purslow is.  

I know some just want to get rid of some of our fringe players, but you can't be raising ticket prices by 50% on one end and then giving players away for cheap on the other.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Given that he was our player of the year last season and has been very solid for Newcastle and helped them to a mid-table finished, we should be making a decent profit on him. Will be a good test of how strong a negotiator Purslow is.  

I know some just want to get rid of some of our fringe players, but you can't be raising ticket prices by 50% on one end and then giving players away for cheap on the other.

Well he let a near enough player of the season join a desperate relegation threatened team with about 1000000 billion quid for sod all and no obligation.

He's a lot of good things in business. Football negotiator he isn't. He pays at the height of value he recoups nothing, academy prospect of a generation excluded.

At what point do we stop spunking money and recoup nothing?

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Well he let a near enough player of the season join a desperate relegation threatened team with about 1000000 billion quid for sod all and no obligation.

He's a lot of good things in business. Football negotiator he isn't. He pays at the height of value he recoups nothing, academy prospect of a generation excluded.

This is actually the first window (aside from the Grealish sale which was forced upon him) where Purslow will have the opportunity to sell players which should hold value. 

Its like you've forgotten we had a total squad rebuild in 2019. 

We've been offloading dogshit and/or pre 2019 players since he took the job. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We will recoup plenty this summer. 

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

This is the most likely scenario.  I think he's burned his bridges here, so will probably move on to another Premier League club even if Newcastle don't buy him.  Any bottom/mid PL club who needs an LB could be in for him.

Would be a good pick up for Fulham so we need to be hawking a few of our squad players around them I think as they'll certainly be looking for prem experience in some areas.

I still think Targett will sign full time for Newcastle anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Attitude stinks 

I normally not a fan of saying things like this but the blokes a loser, as soon as competition arrived through the door he wanted out, same at Southampton when they signed Bertrand,  he doesn’t back him self at all.

• Like 2

Just now, gwi1890 said:

I normally not a fan of saying things like this but the blokes a loser, as soon as competition arrived through the door he wanted out, same at Southampton when they signed Bertrand,  he doesn’t back him self at all.

I know he’s angling for a move and it’s PR speak but to suck up to their fans like “I’ve never felt so welcome” when the vast majority have been overwhelming in support. He’s burnt his bridges for sure. I assume a deal has already been agreed. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

This 100%...  I remember an interview with Grealish the season Targett joined.  Jack said something about Terry joining the boys for training matches when they're shorthanded during International breaks and how he is still a great player in his retirement.  He also said something about Targett confiding in him that "They spent 13 million pounds on me and Terry makes me feel like I'm a Sunday league player!"  No self confidence at all and it shows in his play.  If he makes an early mistake, he can't recover, especially when the crowd gets on him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

This 100%...  I remember an interview with Grealish the season Targett joined.  Jack said something about Terry joining the boys for training matches when they're shorthanded during International breaks and how he is still a great player in his retirement.  He also said something about Targett confiding in him that "They spent 13 million pounds on me and Terry makes me feel like I'm a Sunday league player!"  No self confidence at all and it shows in his play.  If he makes an early mistake, he can't recover, especially when the crowd gets on him.

Confidence is definitely key with him. He was a far better player when no fans were in the ground during Covid.  

Digne is such an upgrade. 

• Like 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Confidence is definitely key with him. He was a far better player when no fans were in the ground during Covid.  

I think once the expectation of success comes to Newcastle he will struggle, the happiness and buzz around the early days of the new ownership suits him once they expect to be finish in the top 8 year on year he won’t cut the mustard and will shrink.

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Nobody really wanted to talk about this being a huge factor in our "over achievement" last season.  Our defense was fantastic without fans there to distract them and the players could play like they did on the training ground.

• Like 2

Targett was excellent last season but he hit a bad patch after he signed a new contract and started a family.

He was unlucky enough to have a few mares when Gerrard took over, which culminated in the 1-3 loss against Chelsea on Boxing Day.

He plays an important role for Newcastle and is considered good enough to deliver at set-pieces.

He still struggles with his lack of pace and it was amusing to see his method of coping with Sterling the other week, which consisted of going to ground with him and holding on for dear life.

I certainly don't hold any grudges against him, and wish him all the best.

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Bertrand and Targett played together at Southampton for 5 years 

On 04/05/2022 at 19:34, rodders0223 said:

So how much loan fee are Newcastle paying? What % of wages? Or are you completely guessing that we got absolutely nothing for him?

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

as for the fans thing, Newcastle get higher gates than us and he seems to be doing fine for them

Yes but beating  the drop was the expectation, the expectation here is huge, you are rarely content when we win 3-0 ect

Â