Matt Targett

villan-scott

I was disappointed to learn that Matt Targett chose to go to a relegation scrapping team, rather than fight for his shirt at Villa.

Maybe he thought the fight was beyond him, but that's a bit defeatest, in my view.

SG is trying to raise the bar and some of our players will be tasked to do more, its inevitable if we want to progress up the League.

I do confess, I am surprised he chose the easy option ( on the surface)...we need fighters in our squad, sadly Matt never measured up to that.

I wish him well, but hey ho.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was disappointed to learn that Matt Targett chose to go to a relegation scrapping team, rather than fight for his shirt at Villa.

Maybe he thought the fight was beyond him, but that's a bit defeatest, in my view.

SG is trying to raise the bar and some of our players will be tasked to do more, its inevitable if we want to progress up the League.

I do confess, I am surprised he chose the easy option ( on the surface)...we need fighters in our squad, sadly Matt never measured up to that.

Very strange take IMO - the easy option was just sitting on the bench. As a professional you have to be realistic and as soon as Digne signed, it was clear as day that he's going to be first choice because on both of their respective days, Digne is a much better player. It's just a fact. It shows that Targett a) isn't an idiot and b) wants to play first team football.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that's harsh. His style doesn't suit Stevie G's way of playing and I'm sure he can see that. Equally, playing with St Maximin would be a bit like last season with Jack which suited him. I can see why he's gone - and they are a big well supported club BUT i wouldn't have let him go!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

tbf, I was listening to Atheltic podcast about Newcastle. It seems they were offering pay rises to players to come on Loan and a bonus for avoiding relegation. 

So I assume with Targett, they offered us a loan fee we thought was acceptable, they offered Targett regular football and more money. 

I can't find any blame for us or Targett for taking this offer.

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think that's harsh. His style doesn't suit Stevie G's way of playing and I'm sure he can see that. Equally, playing with St Maximin would be a bit like last season with Jack which suited him. I can see why he's gone - and they are a big well supported club BUT i wouldn't have let him go!

Exactly, system change. Massive onus on Targett to be that wide forward in attack which is the weakest area of his game. If he wants to play regular football, what clubs better than Newcastle would be coming in for him? 

So in Targett's mind, there is the system here doesn't play to my strengths and Villa have signed one of the Leagues best attacking Left Backs in my position. I want to play regular football at 26 as if I don't and am a back up at Villa for 18 months that will damage my career. Newcastle play a system that is perfect for my game, an attacking wide forward/winger ahead of me and a defensive back 4. They are on an upward trajectory if we avoid relegation and can easily be mid table next season at least like Villa were last season. I'm being paid more money to join them on Loan and if we stay up and I join permanently I'll get a pay bump. 

Why aren't footballers allowed to make decisions in the best interests of their own careers and their family. We all do it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Very strange take IMO - the easy option was just sitting on the bench. As a professional you have to be realistic and as soon as Digne signed, it was clear as day that he's going to be first choice because on both of their respective days, Digne is a much better player. It's just a fact. It shows that Targett a) isn't an idiot and b) wants to play first team football.

Not sure what is strange about fighting back. as opposed to bailing out.

Alan Hutton faced similar circumstances, many times, but just rolled his sleeves up and fought back...he refused to lie down, after being written off, that is a redeeming feature of any players make-up.

I find it strange that you think being given a shirt (newcastle) as oppose to fighting for one (Villa) is the harder task.....sure there might be other factors too.

Sitting on the bench was not my consideration.....fighting for the shirt at BMH was.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

He wanted to go....thats my point.

I imagine that Gerrard reviewed Villa's previous games and concluded that Targett was the defensive weak link in the team, and so took against him.

Presumably Mr G has a plan and was happy to get Targett's wages off the books, as Villa must be paying quite a chunk of Coutinho's wages, which are huge.

Matt looks happy enough, which shows he's a professional who can deal with the ups and downs of a career.

Good luck to him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly, system change. Massive onus on Targett to be that wide forward in attack which is the weakest area of his game. If he wants to play regular football, what clubs better than Newcastle would be coming in for him? 

So in Targett's mind, there is the system here doesn't play to my strengths and Villa have signed one of the Leagues best attacking Left Backs in my position. I want to play regular football at 26 as if I don't and am a back up at Villa for 18 months that will damage my career. Newcastle play a system that is perfect for my game, an attacking wide forward/winger ahead of me and a defensive back 4. They are on an upward trajectory if we avoid relegation and can easily be mid table next season at least like Villa were last season. I'm being paid more money to join them on Loan and if we stay up and I join permanently I'll get a pay bump. 

Why aren't footballers allowed to make decisions in the best interests of their own careers and their family. We all do it.

Thats fine....but I support Aston Villa, and see it from their perspective.

SG wants 2 players for every position, with a view to them competing for the shirt....thats a healthy view for any football club.

Matt chose not to accept that option, so left.

You make your own mind up.

Good, some of the players of the past chose to stay ( Hutton, Taylor, Elmo)and fight for the shirt back....thats all I am saying.

• Like 1

All billionaire money is blood money. They all spend enormous efforts to avoid taxes, under pay their workers and stiff everyone but themselves. That's why they are billionaires. 

The only good billionaire is the one willing to spend money on AVFC one day lifting the PL title. Definitely not going to slate Targett for switching one billionaire pay master for another. 

Also, the only position Targett was competing for was a spot on the bench. Steven bought his replacement a mere couple months after showing up at the club. Targett lost his LB spot the moment Digne signed his contract. There was no competition. It was a replacement and Targett took the hint and found a job he could actually compete for. 

• Like 2

The issue you have is that he has started nearly every game when fit. He is used to being in the first 11. So losing that is a big thing. We can talk about all 22 being squad players all day and all night , but apart from up front there is definitely a first and second string where players come in to cover. 

Maybe he is being honest with himself?  Maybe he can see that Digne is different levels. 

If you tried to make Mings a squad player the same would happen. McGinn as well. 

I will admit i do not think Targett was up for the fight ,but i cannot hold it against him. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

SG wants 2 players for every position, with a view to them competing for the shirt....thats a healthy view for any football club.

Good, some of the players of the past chose to stay ( Hutton, Taylor, Elmo)and fight for the shirt back....thats all I am saying.

He's under contract, so it's not his choice! He doesn't strike me as the sort who would have kicked up a fuss if we'd have said he had to stay until the summer but I don't think we have said that. It looks like we've said wages off the books plus decent loan fee .... we'll take that and all the best Matt. Maybe they see Chrisene as decent cover as well as Ash.

There is no fight, imho, because Stevie wants a different type of left back to Targett - he's only playing if Lucas gets an injury. We all know that and Targett would too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

tbh, Stevie doesn't fancy Matt for the type of full back we want so he was going to be sold in summer with Hickey coming in

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Alan Hutton faced similar circumstances, many times, but just rolled his sleeves up and fought back...he refused to lie down, after being written off, that is a redeeming feature of any players make-up.

I find it strange that you think being given a shirt (newcastle) as oppose to fighting for one (Villa) is the harder task.....sure there might be other factors too.

Sitting on the bench was not my consideration.....fighting for the shirt at BMH was.

Agree, one of the many reasons I love Hutton. Courage goes a long way for me and Alan Hutton never backed down from a challenge. I dont know Targetts reasons but fundamentally I think he has either identified himself or has had it identified for him that he isnt a good for for Gerrards style, and isnt capable of changing. Or not good enough if you want to be harsh. 

Sadly I think Targett will be remembered as another player who Jack Grealish carried.

We move on. And I am grateful for Matt's comtributions. We have better options now.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

We loaned Alan Hutton out 3 times.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I think he’s probably thinking beyond the next 4 months. He’s surplus to requirements at Villa.

• Like 1

Jesus Chris. We have a very solid asset in Targett, one on a long contract and with clear ability. A solid premier league player in questionably one of the more difficult positions to fill for any team.

He will not play 1st team football at Villa, and we have solid back up to Digne in Young. 

So we either stick Targett on the bench, OR, let him play football. If he plays football, he will be better, and he can;

1. Challenge Digne in pre season
OR
2. Get us a bigger fee should he decide to transfer.

Also, he is a professional footballer who wants to play, and wants to push his career forward. He won't do that sitting on the bench. 

What is this load of crap about not rolling his sleeves up or not fighting for a shirt... he is doing exactly that. 

I would much rather have a player loaned to get minutes than one who knows he will sit on the bench. It's a win win for everyone, literally everyone involved. 

How can we question this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Jesus Chris. We have a very solid asset in Targett, one on a long contract and with clear ability. A solid premier league player in questionably one of the more difficult positions to fill for any team.

He will not play 1st team football at Villa, and we have solid back up to Digne in Young. 

So we either stick Targett on the bench, OR, let him play football. If he plays football, he will be better, and he can;

1. Challenge Digne in pre season
OR
2. Get us a bigger fee should he decide to transfer.

Also, he is a professional footballer who wants to play, and wants to push his career forward. He won't do that sitting on the bench. 

What is this load of crap about not rolling his sleeves up or not fighting for a shirt... he is doing exactly that. 

I would much rather have a player loaned to get minutes than one who knows he will sit on the bench. It's a win win for everyone, literally everyone involved. 

How can we question this?

Good post, just one question. Who's Chris?

• Haha 1

Â