Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

I really want this signing to happen. I want to see players with fantastic fitnesss levels that can press all game. Can you imagine both Philips and Mcginn in your face all game. Teams will hate us. 

I actually think some players from Europe take a while to get up to speed with the speed and intensity of the game in England.  Can we afford a few months of players settling in?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There is surely better options out there for £25m+, he's just not worth that amount.

Stewart Downing years ago? 😂

Edited by Kiwivillan

41 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Believe it when I see it. If they were serious I reckon it would have happened by now to give them more of a chance of promotion and probably wouldn't have sold Clarke.

24 minutes ago, useless said:

also have to remember that last summer despite our takeover, Grealish still actually wanted to leave.

I think it was more a case of there being a need to sell until NSWE got our house in order financially. Spurs wanted Jack on the cheap and we no longer had to accept.

I don't think Jack actively wanted to leave at that point.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because he is so far a one season wonder. Thinking he is PL quality and drool about him like people do here is a bit much. He has had ONE good season as a defensive midfielder. And people are comfortable with having a club recently in financial problems, splurge £ 30 million on him. I am just trying to be a bit reflected on the matter. 

You can't compare him to Hogan as a whole based on service time alone, at some point in his career Messi had only one 'good' season under his belt. It's completely arbitrary. 

Watch him play and look at his attributes. Hogan was clearly a very flawed footballer, they're not even remotely comparable in any way. 

It is an example that has been used a lot but we knew Grealish was worth much more than £25m last summer based on half a good season and an FA Cup semi final three years prior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I think it was more a case of there being a need to sell until NSWE got our house in order financially. Spurs wanted Jack on the cheap and we no longer had to accept.

I don't think Jack actively wanted to leave at that point.

By the time he was due to go, he wanted to go. Definitely.

( which i don’t blame him for, and makes his subsequent efforts all the more admirable).

Of course it’s different “ wanting to go” and “ wanting to go now others have decided I must and it will help my Club so I will start thinking about the positives and look forward to it”

1 hour ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Have just seen he is now following JT, JG, Lansbury and Mings on Instagram.

Apparently he's been following them for ages I read some people say... 

Just Imagine McGinn & Phillips in midfielder for us like two terrier dogs

We will have in midfield the Yorkshire Terrier & Scottish Terrier with Captain Jack in front of them!!

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really want this signing to happen. I want to see players with fantastic fitnesss levels that can press all game. Can you imagine both Philips and Mcginn in your face all game. Teams will hate us. 

I actually think some players from Europe take a while to get up to speed with the speed and intensity of the game in England.  Can we afford a few months of players settling in?

This is everything I'm thinking. Gueye was/is a good player but he wasn't that effective for us. We were a mess though, so it might have been hard for him to really show what he was about.

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Because he is so far a one season wonder. Thinking he is PL quality and drool about him like people do here is a bit much. He has had ONE good season as a defensive midfielder. And people are comfortable with having a club recently in financial problems, splurge £ 30 million on him. I am just trying to be a bit reflected on the matter. 

Strange the way we automatically quote and seem to accept the £30 million valuation of rubbish click bait sites.

Have I missed Leed's owner coming out publicly with a price?

I believe Philips is the perfect fit and will supply the things that we've been missing from the holding mid position. Great tackler, good passer of both long and short balls, aggressive, athletic with a nailed on winning attitude .... players do not like playing against him.

I watched him display these abilities many times last season on the wall to wall coverage that SKY give the Championship. The only thing that I haven't seen (so I'll take it on trust) is the fact that he is reported to be a very positive influence in the Leed's dressing room.

If I'm drooling Kenji then fine ..... I think his particular abilities and attitude are exactly what we need to fill what is currently one of our weakest two positions (CB being the other one).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we enquired about him as a possible squad member, and would have been prepared to pay about £14m, but I doubt we'll go much higher than that, and will have other options for the first team. Seems to me a lot of people are over hyping him in their heads.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we enquired about him as a possible squad member, and would have been prepared to pay about £14m, but I doubt we'll go much higher than that, and will have other options for the first team. Seems to me a lot of people are over hyping him in their heads.

Nah, he's just an awesome player. Will easily make the step up imo.

I'm not saying we should obsess over him but I think he's definitely what we need.

Get Santamaria as competition and we're golden.

Edited by Mazrim

Â