Minnesota, USA (Jul 18)

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah I don’t know what people are worrying about!

It was the first pre season game, we won 3-0 and could have been more, should have been more. Got caught out once or twice in the first half but then how often will we lineup with our two most junior centre backs? 

We were able to play two sets of XI without a major drop off in quality - when was the last time we could do that? 

Scored three really good goals, Jota and Guilbert impressed particularly but no one got injured and everyone got good minutes under their belt.

Am i the only person who saw last night as a resounding success?!

No, I did too 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodigan said:

My starting XI from what we saw tonight:

Steer

Guibert - Chester - Mings - Targett

McGinn - Hourihane - Grealish

Jota - Wesley - El Ghazi

Chester as a starter?, no way for me.

The slot alongside Mings should be konsa or Engels imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Anyone seen that video on Birmingham Live? Dean Smith in the process of signing Villa shirts for supporters and some jobsworth word removed steward rips the shirt from the fans hands. Anyone know if the fan got the shirt back?

If I was Deano I'd have volleyed that prick right in the jaw.

Yes I seen it. How are you anyway @leemond2008

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah I don’t know what people are worrying about!

It was the first pre season game, we won 3-0 and could have been more, should have been more. Got caught out once or twice in the first half but then how often will we lineup with our two most junior centre backs? 

We were able to play two sets of XI without a major drop off in quality - when was the last time we could do that? 

Scored three really good goals, Jota and Guilbert impressed particularly but no one got injured and everyone got good minutes under their belt.

Am i the only person who saw last night as a resounding success?!

100%..... granted I was half asleep and watching with one eye open at times but totally agree. I thought for a friendly mufc provided a decent game. We looked decent going forward especially in first half, yeah we did get caught under pressure trying to play from the back at times but I’d expect that at this point. Decent game...for what it was and not too much to moan about. 

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Anyone seen that video on Birmingham Live? Dean Smith in the process of signing Villa shirts for supporters and some jobsworth word removed steward rips the shirt from the fans hands. Anyone know if the fan got the shirt back?

If I was Deano I'd have volleyed that prick right in the jaw.

Yeah he got his shirt back and a bag of Minnosota United merch to apologise about the steward

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rodigan said:

i wonder with kalinic having a pre-season whether he may actually have the chance to be the goalkeeper we thought he was when we bought him... 

Welded to his line on a couple or crosses/corners.

6 hours ago, terrytini said:

I enjoyed it. As good a performance in a First friendly as I’ve seen for a long time.

Considering the heat, and that it was our first friendly, I thought we looked imaginative with the ball, compact without it.

I wouldn’t comment at all on individuals, or the overall “ quality” of the game (makes no sense to me at this stage), but would say it looks - so far - like we are going to defend in numbers, with limited and targeted pressing, and when we attack it’s going to be “ pass and move” together with the other two options we saw a lot of the back of last season, very high fullbacks, and long balls from the back for variety.

All of which I like of itself, but more relevantly at this stage is how it already looked like each player in each half knew their roles.

It was also pleasant to see two goals from worked open play.

Commentary on quality has it's place. MLS is now ranked as a better league than the championship, and I read our opponents aren't doing too badly over there.

Whilst I'm unaware of the ins and outs of the match, aside from 5 minutes of highlights, the caliber of opponent does give us some understanding for our position.

For example if the quality was to a high standard, and our team was still able to execute with technical and tactical skill combined, we can be assured preparation is coming along.

If the quality of game was poor, and our players were unable to execute their technique and tactics as we had strategised, then the degree of improvement will need to be greater.

Seems like it was a good day out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Commentary on quality has it's place. MLS is now ranked as a better league than the championship, and I read our opponents aren't doing too badly over there.

Whilst I'm unaware of the ins and outs of the match, aside from 5 minutes of highlights, the caliber of opponent does give us some understanding for our position.

For example if the quality was to a high standard, and our team was still able to execute with technical and tactical skill combined, we can be assured preparation is coming along.

If the quality of game was poor, and our players were unable to execute their technique and tactics as we had strategised, then the degree of improvement will need to be greater.

Seems like it was a good day out.

True enough. My point about quality was that as it’s our first friendly I am much less interested in individual player performance and more interested in the overall picture, the style adopted, how clear the players are about their roles etc.

FWiw unlike some I actually thought it a decent enough game, and whilst some individuals performed much better than others, the team as a whole got back defending as a unit well, broke well together, were patient with the ball, mixed up long and short passing, used the full backs well, and generally looked to have a coherent idea about what the6 were trying to do.

Havent seen that in a pre season for as long as I can remember.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrytini said:

True enough. My point about quality was that as it’s our first friendly I am much less interested in individual player performance and more interested in the overall picture, the style adopted, how clear the players are about their roles etc.

FWiw unlike some I actually thought it a decent enough game, and whilst some individuals performed much better than others, the team as a whole got back defending as a unit well, broke well together, were patient with the ball, mixed up long and short passing, used the full backs well, and generally looked to have a coherent idea about what the6 were trying to do.

Havent seen that in a pre season for as long as I can remember.

I think we have a proper football coach in Dean Smith. He has mentioned in more than one interview his desire to work with the ball wherever possible.

That statement, accompanied by another one he made in regards to players being developed to execute an array of technique as well as tactics.

You can tell he is really setting the standards to 'anything's possible' for what teams that play under him can achieve and aspire to. As long as the vision is there and the work done.

If what you have described is a fair reflection of the match, which as far as I could see it is, then it's apparent that Smith has an emphasis on teamwork and tactics within a strategy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

No goals from our forwards, as expected and feared. I'd take Tammy back in a heartbeat.

Nah. I watched it live and there are more positives than negatives for me. 

Tammy wants to play for Chelsea and Wesley wants to play for us. Wes will be fine.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

No goals from our forwards, as expected and feared. I'd take Tammy back in a heartbeat.

Wes played 45 mins. Lets not panic just yet. 

And when the team score 3 who cares if the forwards get one?

• Thanks 1

I was trying to figure out why the shirts they wore looked so cool and retro.

Then I eventually realised it was because it didn't habe a sponsor/logo....damn the shirts look better without the sponsor logo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â