Minnesota, USA (Jul 18)

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And of course after i say Green isn't good enough he puts in a wonder cross.

That's the problem, he is equally capable of tripe, as he is wonderous things.

Comes with the territory, and being a young winger I guess 

Happy with that. Kalinic, and Guilbert look the business. Thor being Thor.

Man, I really want Hogan to come good. He just has a knack of always being in the wrong place. 

Anyway very good all around. Must have been hot and muggy there, both teams were knackered.

3 minutes ago, rodigan said:

i wonder with kalinic having a pre-season whether he may actually have the chance to be the goalkeeper we thought he was when we bought him... 

Impossible that he's worse

Targett and Guilbert look good buys. Jota the pick of the new boys I thought. Konsa didn't have much to do. Wesley looked ok.

None of the youngsters really impressed.

We kinda know about the rest.

Good to see Chester back.

Stand outs for me:

• Steer/Kalinic - Both were rock solid and covered a few players who were clean through on goal.
  • Guilbert - He plays like McGinn, if he was a Right Back.  Have a feeling he's going to be a fans favorite this season.
  • Jota - Was a class above everyone in the first half.  Not worried about him at all.  Extremely intelligent player with an eye for a pass.

Needs Improvement:

• O'Hare - Outmuscled, off pace, and didn't make any impact on the play or shape, with or without the ball.  Needs more time on loan to develop.
  • Bree - Poor with the ball, out of position constantly, and in a game where everyone looked unfit, he looked the worst off
  • Thor - Yes, he scored a Hell of a goal, but he was extremely poor in that defensive midfield role.  Let too many attackers get by him, which Mings had to try to pick up the slack with.

1 minute ago, rodigan said:

My starting XI from what we saw tonight:

Steer

Guibert - Chester - Mings - Targett

McGinn - Hourihane - Grealish

Jota - Wesley - El Ghazi

I agree except, I thought Thor was more involved than Hourihane and he played many forward passes. Just a shame that Green and Davis were struggling to control the ball tonight. 

Players good enough for squad: 

Hause

Konza

Kalinic

Thor

Players fighting to make the squad:

Davies

Green

Lansbury

Taylor

O'Hare

Players who don't look good enough:

Bree

Hogan

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I agree except, I thought Thor was more involved than Hourihane and he played many forward passes. Just a shame that Green and Davis were struggling to control the ball tonight. 

Thor was more involved, but he was spraying the ball all over the place... it says it all when Mings is a better outlet from defence than our DM

Second half reiterating we need a lot of work still. Too much of that side isn't good enough play regular Prem football.

Guilbert definitely a stand out. Looks like he's got exactly what you want in a fullback.

Kalinic didn't have much to do bit did it well enough. I think he's a decent keeper but there's something not quite right there, you can see it in him - he doesn't look comfortable here.

Good to see Chester (who should have scored) but we all know he's not going to be handling a full season anymore. 

Mings looked a little off the pace, a little lazy at times.

Neil Taylor Neil Taylored.

Lansbury got fouled, scored, and for the rest of the match may as well have been in the pub.

McGinn hustled as we expect. 

Thor looked good, one of the better on the pitch and deserved the goal. It's a shame he doesn't quite have the quality because he's a likable presence and works hard. But he's not good enough. 

Green looked dangerous but then also put in one of the most embarrassing shots you'll ever see. Redeemed with a cracking cross for Thor, but he's not good enough for the Prem.

Davis started brightly in a bizarre left wing berth, but no end product. Maybe a 4th choice striker, maybe, you'd give him a shot. You could see him knocking a few goals in, but equally you could see him doing a Moore brother impression.

And Hogan. A mazy jinking run that ended when his feet outran his head. A couple of touches. His Villa career is over, it's just a matter of when he goes. Typically you'd bet it's a loan to the end of contract situation with him.

All in all a successful friendly but blimey is work still needed. We've got no depth outside of centre half. The quality drops off a cliff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Second half reiterating we need a lot of work still. Too much of that side isn't good enough play regular Prem football.

Guilbert definitely a stand out. Looks like he's got exactly what you want in a fullback.

Kalinic didn't have much to do bit did it well enough. I think he's a decent keeper but there's something not quite right there, you can see it in him - he doesn't look comfortable here.

Good to see Chester (who should have scored) but we all know he's not going to be handling a full season anymore. 

Mings looked a little off the pace, a little lazy at times.

Neil Taylor Neil Taylored.

Lansbury got fouled, scored, and for the rest of the match may as well have been in the pub.

McGinn hustled as we expect. 

Thor looked good, one of the better on the pitch and deserved the goal. It's a shame he doesn't quite have the quality because he's a likable presence and works hard. But he's not good enough. 

Green looked dangerous but then also put in one of the most embarrassing shots you'll ever see. Redeemed with a cracking cross for Thor, but he's not good enough for the Prem.

Davis started brightly in a bizarre left wing berth, but no end product. Maybe a 4th choice striker, maybe, you'd give him a shot. You could see him knocking a few goals in, but equally you could see him doing a Moore brother impression.

And Hogan. A mazy jinking run that ended when his feet outran his head. A couple of touches. His Villa career is over, it's just a matter of when he goes. Typically you'd bet it's a loan to the end of contract situation with him.

All in all a successful friendly but blimey is work still needed. We've got no depth outside of centre half. The quality drops off a cliff.

Pretty much word for word this but adding Grealish Grealished.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Lots to do, but its certainly getting there:

GK: Steer Kalinic Nyland

RB: Guibert Elmo

CB: Mings Chester Hause Konza Engels

LB: Targett Taylor

DM: Hourihane Bjarnasson [LUIZ or PHILLIPS] 

AM: McGinn Jack 

LW / RW: El Ghazi Jota Green [TREZEGUET]

CF: Wesley Kodjia Davies [MAUPAY or AUSTIN]

If you add in us getting most of LUIZ, TREZEGUET, PHILLIPS, MAUPAY, AUSTIN - we're getting pretty close... 

2 minutes ago, rodigan said:

Lots to do, but its certainly getting there:

GK: Steer Kalinic Nyland

RB: Guibert Elmo

CB: Mings Chester Hause Konza Engels

LB: Targett Taylor

DM: Hourihane Bjarnasson [LUIZ or PHILLIPS] 

AM: McGinn Jack 

LW / RW: El Ghazi Jota Green [TREZEGUET]

CF: Wesley Kodjia Davies [MAUPAY or AUSTIN]

If you add in us getting most of LUIZ, TREZEGUET, PHILLIPS, MAUPAY, AUSTIN - we're getting pretty close... 

Austin  

Image result for no meme

• Like 2

Â