Minnesota, USA (Jul 18)

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Nah. I watched it live and there are more positives than negatives for me. 

Tammy wants to play for Chelsea and Wesley wants to play for us. Wes will be fine.

I'd want them both. Not giving up on Wes at all, but not completely convinced yet either. However, after Wes we have nothing... Hogan, Davis ... no goals.

10 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Never in a million years 

MLS #19 in the world

Championship #20 in the world

A-League #61 in the world (so you see why McCormack slotted in nicely)

1 minute ago, VillaCas said:

Yeah that’s rubbish

Beckham, Thierry Henry, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Kaka, Drogba, Pirlo, David Villa, Schweinsteigger, Lampard, Ashley Cole all have graced the MLS.

The championship saw a 37 year old John Terry and that was a massive coup.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Are the extended highlights available yet?, they are supposed to be released tonight aren't they?

Highlights post above  @villalad21

"Is this Jack Woodward commentating? Did he make a Villa return?"

I hope not. The man knows nothing about football and is utterly cringeworthy.

Full match replay here:

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2019/07/16/live-stream-mnufc-vs-aston-villa-international-friendly

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

16 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Beckham, Thierry Henry, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Kaka, Drogba, Pirlo, David Villa, Schweinsteigger, Lampard, Ashley Cole all have graced the MLS.

The championship saw a 37 year old John Terry and that was a massive coup.

Money talks. All well past their prime. 

Not one single chance that the MLS is a more competitive and quality league than the Championship 

https://englishsoccerguide.com/how-do-mls-teams-compare-to-english-teams/

This well researched article suggests about league 1 standard

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Money talks. All well past their prime. 

Not one single chance that the MLS is a more competitive and quality league than the Championship 

https://englishsoccerguide.com/how-do-mls-teams-compare-to-english-teams/

This well researched article suggests about league 1 standard

I don't watch the MLS so I'm not in any position to have an opinion. I understand they have an import system.

Yes, money talks, and they all were at the tail end of their career, but we are talking about greats of the game here.

Anyone of them would of walked into any championship team at the time they joined the MLS.

But as I said I understand the import system and that money talks. I'll take your word for it that the championship is better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I'd want them both. Not giving up on Wes at all, but not completely convinced yet either. However, after Wes we have nothing... Hogan, Davis ... no goals.

How dare you forget Johnny Danger???  

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I watch a decent bit of MLS. Its a fun league. Somewhere between League one and the Championship quality wise but slower than both (to be fair this is driven in part by the local temperatures in some states).

I used to watch a bit ~10 years ago.  Personally, I think that was around the peak of the league's quality of play.  Too many expansion teams added in the past few years have really diluted the quality of the league overall and attendances of some older clubs have dropped to extremely low levels this season.  Chicago (USA's 2nd largest city) has an average attendance of 11,500 this season...  To put that into perspective, Detroit (My hometown) has a 4th division club averaging just under 7,000 people/game.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Commentary on quality has it's place. MLS is now ranked as a better league than the championship, and I read our opponents aren't doing too badly over there.

Whilst I'm unaware of the ins and outs of the match, aside from 5 minutes of highlights, the caliber of opponent does give us some understanding for our position.

For example if the quality was to a high standard, and our team was still able to execute with technical and tactical skill combined, we can be assured preparation is coming along.

If the quality of game was poor, and our players were unable to execute their technique and tactics as we had strategised, then the degree of improvement will need to be greater.

Seems like it was a good day out.

It's worth noting that due to them being in the middle of their season, they fielded a reserve team.

Aside from seeing what the new signings are all about, there's not really all that much we can take from that match in terms of quality.

• Like 2

Â