Minnesota, USA (Jul 18)

wasn't suggesting that i want austin for a second,  but the question is what role will this striker play? if it is a back up in a team that plays a sole striker, i can understand the reasoning behind buying someone who is unlikely to throw a tantrum if he isn't the first choice every week... 

last season, we only played with one true striker, so everyone else was getting scraps - keeping those people happy is not easy... and there are so many new players to bed in here... 

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I was going to say the same

I've been saying this since last season ffs. Not rocket science is it? Similar to alot of other players, and even management!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rodigan said:

Players good enough for squad: 

Hause

Konza

Kalinic

Thor

Players fighting to make the squad:

Davies

Green

Lansbury

Taylor

O'Hare

Players who don't look good enough:

Bree

Hogan

Konza is a little worrying. Kalinic? Everyone else has been saying he played well?

Didn’t see the game but from what I read/already knew we need to offload bree, green and hogan with Elmo and Kodja coming back should be ok for numbers but could do with a couple more hopefully, players like Taylor, Thor and Lansbury will be ok for squad players ie happy to sit on bench and play cup games for championship wages. 

Didn’t watch it, but seen the highlights. Jota looks very good. Grealish seemed like his usual self. I think with a Jota, it’s a case that he needs to be in a team that play to his style. Hence why he was good at Brentford, and a bit more inconstant at Blues.

4 hours ago, rodigan said:

Players good enough for squad: 

Hause

Konza

Kalinic

Thor

Players fighting to make the squad:

Davies

Green

Lansbury

Taylor

O'Hare

Players who don't look good enough:

Bree

Hogan

From what we saw today I think this is spot on, I might raise Landsbury to the top of second group, He looked like a guy who hasnt played football in a while, but clearly out to stake a claim. I will be interested to see Kodjia play off  all those new creative providers later, it might suit him.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Kalinic didn't have much to do bit did it well enough. I think he's a decent keeper but there's something not quite right there, you can see it in him - he doesn't look comfortable here.

In fairness, he’s hardly had any encouragement since he’s been here, and especially this window. It’s now wonder.

This is one signing that makes me desperately sad, He should be good enough for us at this stage. Hope he finds it in him

Didn’t see the game and only a pre season friendly so hard to really judge. But does sound like a few fans that were getting carried away for next season got a little reminder of how much is still left to do.

Its going to be a very tough season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rodigan said:

wasn't suggesting that i want austin for a second,  but the question is what role will this striker play? if it is a back up in a team that plays a sole striker, i can understand the reasoning behind buying someone who is unlikely to throw a tantrum if he isn't the first choice every week... 

last season, we only played with one true striker, so everyone else was getting scraps - keeping those people happy is not easy... and there are so many new players to bed in here... 

Charlie Austin wants to leave because he wants to play. He's going anywhere to be a back-up. 

I hear what you're saying though. Wesley certainly didn't look like someone with a natural striker's instinct last night, albeit it was all new territory for him. Personally, I think he looked more tired than expected towards the end of that half he played, so maybe not quite with the required fitness levels yet? He also dropped way too deep and needs to stay further up the pitch. 

Anyone seen that video on Birmingham Live? Dean Smith in the process of signing Villa shirts for supporters and some jobsworth word removed steward rips the shirt from the fans hands. Anyone know if the fan got the shirt back?

If I was Deano I'd have volleyed that prick right in the jaw.

5 hours ago, villaluke said:

Austin  

Image result for no meme

You know, I've been saying that since his name was first mentioned but I heard something yesterday that shocked me. Austin only turned pro at 20 after playing non-league. He's played something like 325 games in 10 years so averaging at 32 games per season. Also, he's scored 150 goals in that time. That's a great return for a striker. 

Couldn't be bothered to get up for the game and so I have watched the highlights on a dodgy Youtube video and then read through 20 pages of VT.

Thanks to you all I think I've come away with a pretty clear understanding on how we are set for the season.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it. As good a performance in a First friendly as I’ve seen for a long time.

Considering the heat, and that it was our first friendly, I thought we looked imaginative with the ball, compact without it.

I wouldn’t comment at all on individuals, or the overall “ quality” of the game (makes no sense to me at this stage), but would say it looks - so far - like we are going to defend in numbers, with limited and targeted pressing, and when we attack it’s going to be “ pass and move” together with the other two options we saw a lot of the back of last season, very high fullbacks, and long balls from the back for variety.

All of which I like of itself, but more relevantly at this stage is how it already looked like each player in each half knew their roles.

It was also pleasant to see two goals from worked open play.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2019/07/16/live-stream-mnufc-vs-aston-villa-international-friendly

The Loons website above now has a the full match replay from my location( California). Classy of them I have to say. Maybe it will work for others.

It works here in Brum - cheers! I'll watch the game again later :D

• Like 2

First pre season game against a relatively second string MLS side in challenging conditions, scoring three, conceding none and no injuries - very successful in my book. 

Some great moments from various individuals but, as to be completely expected, not quite the fluidity that we will no doubt see as preseason goes on. 

I thought Jota looked busy first half and Guilbert my pick from the second half. 

UTV

• Like 1

Â