Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I think we will slowly start turning these draws to wins, and losses to draws. You can see we are a good side with a lot of talent. Numerous matches even against the "big boys", we have been very good, but lack the experience, stamina, or confidence to close it out.

I think that will slowly change. If we can stay up this season, I really think next year we can be a good side if we hold onto our players. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

My God.. depressing stuff.

First half table

1st half.jpg

Yep whatever DS says in the ten minutes before kick off the players listen and are very focused in the first half.

I'm pretty sure Bournemouth is the only fixture this season where we've conceded goals before the 40th minute which is extraordinary given we're not far off half the season. Actually just remembered Brighton scored around 25 minute mark.

Still to concede just 3 goals before 40th minute so far this season is a great credit to us. Now just need to get the fitness levels up so we stop flagging so much from 70th minute against better teams.

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

What's worrying is we've played pretty well, yet are only 3 points above the drop. When our inevitable shit run happens we might be dragged into it. 

On Paper the hardest run of our season is happening now. All aways are tough and we've also had Liverpool at home which is the hardest home fixture around currently.

I see it differently. Xmas/New Year is the chance to pull well away from the bottom 3 and be comfortably mid table. We are certainly well capable of beating Norwich and Southampton at home and getting at least a draw at Watford. Need to keep our key players fit thought which is easier said than done given the congestion at that time of the year.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Looks like Everton fans truly believes they are in a relegation battle. https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/relegation.108778/

I honestly don't think they are. Their squad is simply too good. When a new manager comes in they will be fine.

They have played a way easier away schedule than we have. Palace, Us, Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton, Leicester, Brighton. 4 points.

Still go to play away Liverpool, Man. United, Wolves, Man. City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs so to me they only really have five winnable away games left and the likes of Norwich and Sheffield United have already gone to Goodison and won.

Can see them needing 6-7 wins at Goodison to be sure of getting more than 40 points so going to be a lot of pressure on their home games from now on and they'll need to beat a few of the top 6-7 I reckon.

In the watch with interest category I think.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They have played a way easier away schedule than we have. Palace, Us, Bournemouth, Burnley, Southampton, Leicester, Brighton. 4 points.

Still go to play away Liverpool, Man. United, Wolves, Man. City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs so to me they only really have five winnable away games left and the likes of Norwich and Sheffield United have already gone to Goodison and won.

Can see them needing 6-7 wins at Goodison to be sure of getting more than 40 points so going to be a lot of pressure on their home games from now on and they'll need to beat a few of the top 6-7 I reckon.

In the watch with interest category I think.

Just goes to show how tough this league is.

Everton were tipped as challengers for top 6 this season.

• Like 1

I don’t think this 1st half table issue is a concern or due to fitness/tactics etc. It’s just a product of how well we have started against the best teams in the league.

It’s inevitable that Liverpool, Man C, Spurs, Arsenal etc will come at us hard in the last part of the games and the psychology of the game then changes.

Until yesterday to a degree we haven’t been good enough to hold out or get that next goal. The Man U game will give the team a lot more belief.

Edited by Elton
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Looks like Everton fans truly believes they are in a relegation battle. https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/relegation.108778/

I honestly don't think they are. Their squad is simply too good. When a new manager comes in they will be fine.

Ours was too good to go down....oh wait........

The fact that only the top 5 have scored more goals than us is a truly unbelievable stat.

Being one of the most critical fans of Smith on here, the man can coach there's no doubt about it.

If we can keep this goal scoring rate up for the rest of the season i'd be amazed.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The fact that only the top 5 have scored more goals than us is a truly unbelievable stat.

Being one of the most critical fans of Smith on here, the man can coach there's no doubt about it.

If we can keep this goal scoring rate up for the rest of the season i'd be amazed.

Who are you and where have you hidden villalad21?

31 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Ours was too good to go down....oh wait........

Not really. Too big a club maybe, but everyone could see our squad was crap. Cissokho, Lescott, Bacuna, Gestede, Richardson all regularly starting. Useless team.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As usual they've spend their money on an endless number of midfielders and neglected to sign a CB and prolific striker.

Think the snake would be far more motivated playing for Leeds atm, wouldn't have bothered signing him tbh.

fixed....

No offence intended to all of the Everton fans out there but I would love to see his grim face the moment he is relegated. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Enda said:

Not really. Too big a club maybe, but everyone could see our squad was crap. Cissokho, Lescott, Bacuna, Gestede, Richardson all regularly starting. Useless team.

Bloody hell I had forgotten about him. Another terrible signing from that era.

Probably the last time too good to go down was arguably Newcastle in 2009, had Owen, Viduka and Martins as their strikeforce and Duff out wide. Barton and Nolan were also there and were great for them in the championship the following year. Coloccini and Jonas Gutirrez made the Argentina 2010 world cup squad while in the championship I think.

Or even their 2016 version which had Mitrovic, Wjinaldum and Sissoko in their regular 11 although I didn't rate that team much.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Probably the last time too good to go down was arguably Newcastle in 2009, had Owen, Viduka and Martins as their strikeforce and Duff out wide. Barton and Nolan were also there and were great for them in the championship the following year. Coloccini and Jonas Gutirrez made the Argentina 2010 world cup squad while in the championship I think.

Or even their 2016 version which had Mitrovic, Wjinaldum and Sissoko in their regular 11 although I didn't rate that team much.

Coloccini was a beast and was Newcastle best player this decade. Led them to success and remained a stalwart defender throughout his time there.