Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, VillaChris said:

AWAY FORM AWAY FORM AWAY FORM.

Nothing personal though mate.😉

BTW just looking and seeing Brighton are falling down the table a bit, 4 defeats out of their last 5 and got Arsenal away on Thursday although that isn't as hard as it used to be.

Even when they were having their good run I still thought they'd be near the bottom come end of the season and think they will be if not in the bottom 3. One we should be finishing above.

I’d love to see how our away record looks based on our opponents and other teams that have played them. As mentioned before we’ve played one team in the current bottom half away from home and we won 5-1. Think he needs to find something else unless we have played half the season. 

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are a bit like Norwich tbh.

We are great when we're on the front foot but when we have to defend we are kind of helpless.

Rode our luck in that 2nd half. Then again we were the best team in the 1st half.

We have kept clean sheets this season v Everton, West Ham and Newcastle. In fact only two bottom half teams we've conceded more than once against was Bournemouth and that was a freak opening ten minutes.

We just struggle when some of the better teams and attacks step it up v us but we're not the only team to struggle when that happens. Would help if likes of Mings would realise it's o.k to hit the ball up the pitch when under pressure at times. He got away with it second half v Newcastle, not today.

I think I'm right in saying that because Southampton play Norwich in midweek it means that whatever happens over the next two games we won't drop into the bottom three. Would have taken that before we were due to play Man CIty, Liverpool, Wolves, Newcastle, United, Chelsea and Leicester all in a row.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

I think I'm right in saying that because Southampton play Norwich in midweek it means that whatever happens over the next two games we won't drop into the bottom three. Would have taken that before we were due to play Man CIty, Liverpool, Wolves, Newcastle, United, Chelsea and Leicester all in a row.

4 points from those first 5 is not bad at all. I would have liked 5, but we're not doing too badly.

We've only lost those 3 games in the last 8. We won 3 and the other 2. 11 point from 8 games in those fixtures is good. We're getting results against everyone outside the top 6 now which is great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d love to see how our away record looks based on our opponents and other teams that have played them. As mentioned before we’ve played one team in the current bottom half away from home and we won 5-1. Think he needs to find something else unless we have played half the season. 

Of course it's not amazing but we have played teams who generally hardly lose at home. Think Wolves have only lost once to Chelsea at home although they have drawn a huge amount 1-1. Man. United only one defeat to Palace and drawn with Liverpool and Arsenal recently and comfortably beat Brighton. Man City enough said and for all Spurs issues they've still won plenty of home games this season in prem and europe under both managers. Arsenal also (somehow) unbeaten at home.

Palace was disappointing but we're always rubbish there, bit of a mini Old Trafford to us for some reason.

It would be different if we were losing to likes of Southampton and Watford who can't win at home. Those are the away games I'll properly judge us on like Norwich.

Actually Sheffield United will be a decent one to judge. Can we go to inform team playing way above themselves and impose our game on them. We couldn't last season so that will be a good yardstick.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

4 points from those first 5 is not bad at all. I would have liked 5, but we're not doing too badly.

We've only lost those 3 games in the last 8. We won 3 and the other 2. 11 point from 8 games in those fixtures is good. We're getting results against everyone outside the top 6 now which is great.

It was real bad luck we run into Man. City and Liverpool straight after we had back to back wins. Those are season killing games for many teams. For example Chelsea look amazing, lose unluckily at Man. City and then play really poorly v West Ham.

Maybe OTT but we could've gone on Sheffield United style run if we hadn't had those two games when we did. The Grealish injury also didn't help, more so in the Wolves game when we were below par for most of the game and deserved to lose.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

AWAY FORM AWAY FORM AWAY FORM.

Nothing personal though mate.😉

BTW just looking and seeing Brighton are falling down the table a bit, 4 defeats out of their last 5 and got Arsenal away on Thursday although that isn't as hard as it used to be.

Even when they were having their good run I still thought they'd be near the bottom come end of the season and think they will be if not in the bottom 3. One we should be finishing above.

Said a while back Brighton could struggle - There tippy tappy plays, wins many plaudits - but not many points - they seem to lack thrust up front   (Insert Kenneth williams gif) 

BT’s prediction algorithm, AI and all, isn’t doing well.

‘The Script: How Aston Villa's 2019/20 Premier League season will pan out according to the stats’

https://sport.bt.com/the-script/the-script-how-aston-villa-2019/20-premier-league-season-will-pan-out-according-to-google-opta-and-squawka-S11364379101551

Over the last 7 games, almost 1/5th of a Season, only 7 Clubs are ahead of us on Form.

Thats 6 of the current top 7, and Newcastle ( instead of Spurs from the top 7).

A period during which we’ve played the 2 best sides in the Country.

Weve scored more than Man City in that time, only one less than a Liverpool and Chelsea, with only Leicester ahead of them.

(12 sides have Conceeded less than us.)

Great stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Over the last 7 games, almost 1/5th of a Season, only 7 Clubs are ahead of us on Form.

Thats 6 of the current top 7, and Newcastle ( instead of Spurs from the top 7).

A period during which we’ve played the 2 best sides in the Country.

Weve scored more than Man City in that time, only one less than a Liverpool and Chelsea, with only Leicester ahead of them.

(12 sides have Conceeded less than us.)

Great stuff.

Facing Liverpool, City and Wolves all in a row was really bad timing and masks a really good run of form in the past couple of months.

In all competitions, since losing to Arsenal, our record has been:

P10 W5 D2 L3 GF 20 GA 15 GD +5

We've basically been winning every other game and scoring 2 goals per game and into the QF of the League Cup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the premier league table for this time last year, the team on 15 points was West Ham, Wolves were on 16 points this time last year.  The bottom 3 were on 9 (Southampton), 9 (Burnley) and 8 (Fulham LOL).  

All things considering, we should all be optimistic and it shows we are heading in the right direction.  Caveat to all of this though is that Grealish is pivotal to our success.  Just hope he stays fit.   Being the most fouled player in the league, I think it may be inevitable that he will come off injured again. We really need some more quality additions to the team so we are not over-reliant on Grealish.

Also goes to show what a great job Sean Dyche has done with Burnley, propelling them to 10th Position from 2nd bottom this time last year. 

• Like 1