Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

I think it fair to say that transfer window drama is no precursor to the season. We've had some brilliant transfer windows lately but some absolute disasters on the pitch. Therefore I sit patiently. 

It is quite worrying that we still haven’t sorted out several positions, including GK, CB x 2, DM and RW. That’s five players we still need minimum. I fancy a couple from the Championship (Butland and Benrahma, maybe Maupay) but we’re getting priced out of moves for them by the looks of things.

I think if we can get Mendy and Trézéguet for a combined £15mil we should put in the offer now - that strengthens 2 positions immediately and doesn’t take up too much in transfer fees. Both have played at a good level.

My other choices would be Gbamin, Mings and Tuanzebe. I don’t understand all this messing around for Phillips, who is too expensive for a player who has ad one decent season in the Championship. We need a player in that position we know can step up, Gbamin is highly rated and young. 

We we just need to get it sorted, but if we get the required quality in then waiting a couple of weeks won’t be a bad thing. It’s even a relatively quiet window from everyone so far.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd rather take a punt on the trezeguet at 8m then spending double on maupay  

Given the choice I think I would prefer Maupay  - but maybe £20m is to much given the other holes we to fill in the squad.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we have to do all our business late on then so be it but we have to accept it will take longer for the team to settle and learn to play Dean Smiths way.

Looking at our August fixtures we are playing against very settled teams. 

Come on - DS came in mid season - made a couple of additions in Jan and got us absolutely flying. Ideally the sooner the better but I don't see it as season defining if new players are arriving days before the spurs game.

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It is quite worrying that we still haven’t sorted out several positions, including GK, CB x 2, DM and RW. That’s five players we still need minimum. I fancy a couple from the Championship (Butland and Benrahma, maybe Maupay) but we’re getting priced out of moves for them by the looks of things.

I think if we can get Mendy and Trézéguet for a combined £15mil we should put in the offer now - that strengthens 2 positions immediately and doesn’t take up too much in transfer fees. Both have played at a good level.

My other choices would be Gbamin, Mings and Tuanzebe. I don’t understand all this messing around for Phillips, who is too expensive for a player who has ad one decent season in the Championship. We need a player in that position we know can step up, Gbamin is highly rated and young. 

We we just need to get it sorted, but if we get the required quality in then waiting a couple of weeks won’t be a bad thing. It’s even a relatively quiet window from everyone so far.

It's July 5th, the transfer window for European clubs opened on July 1st.

There's still plenty of time and so far we have already completed 5 signings.

How do you know we are 'messing around with Phillips'? Chances are there is already a deal in place or we have moved onto our next target. 

Chill, it's all in hand.

Just now, hippo said:

Come on - DS came in mid season - made a couple of additions in Jan and got us absolutely flying. Ideally the sooner the better but I don't see it as season defining if new players are arriving days before the spurs game.

You forgot what happened in late December/January already mate?

i personally think every point next season could be season defining. 

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We aren't on a tight budget, I just think we need so many players they are trying to be prudent with signings.

I have absolutely No doubt we will have spent 100m by the end of the transfer window.

My only real concern is getting them signed in a timely manor so the team can gel and get some friendly games together.

Think that's the right answer

What's not really talked about is player demands, we know clubs are trying to fleece us but what about players too? Say we've bid for butland, we've had positive talks with stoke everything going well, get his agent on the phone..."he's wants £120k a week" it's not going to happen is it? Also agree that the team chemistry is vitally important, jack is our captain and best player on around £60k a week, we aren't giving new players way north of that 

Transfer rumours are the new crack cocaine. Safer no doubt and slightly less life ruining but much more addictive overall. We get the hit with a transfer on Monday, then Tuesday but we just want more, more, more.

Jack Dorsey is the new Pablo. 

Coming from someone as hooked as the rest of you. 

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t understand why people always say stuff like, we’re leaving it late, or we’re messing around. I’m almost certain that if possible we would have got all our targets in on day one. The club aren’t sitting around thinking, plenty of time, another few days of golf in The Algarve and then we’ll perhaps make a few calls and pick up a couple of bargains. 

Transfers are a complex process involving lots of people all with different priorities, some football and some none football. Would any of us move jobs, possibly to another country without considering and consulting our families? 

Transfers will happen but there’s plenty of water to pass under the bridge before they all get done. 

I think everyone is well aware of all of the things you've said. But that still doesn't change the fact that our first team options right now, are probably Targett, Guilbert, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi and Wesley.

I'm sure most people aren't demanding that we sign the other 5 first team players this week, but there is obviously the desire that we bring them in soon enough for them to actually play together in some friendlies.

IMO, a new goalkeeper can come on deadline day, for all I care. Goalkeepers seem to fit into a team seamlessly.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Think that's the right answer

What's not really talked about is player demands, we know clubs are trying to fleece us but what about players too? Say we've bid for butland, we've had positive talks with stoke everything going well, get his agent on the phone..."he's wants £120k a week" it's not going to happen is it? Also agree that the team chemistry is vitally important, jack is our captain and best player on around £60k a week, we aren't giving new players way north of that 

If a player tries to fleece us we just need to say "k thanx bai".

I have no doubt we are much cleverer and prudent now though, for the first time in a decade I am actually fairly confident the owners and management team aren't idiots.

Edited by MaVilla

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I think everyone is well aware of all of the things you've said. But that still doesn't change the fact that our first team options right now, are probably Targett, Guilbert, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi and Wesley.

I'm sure most people aren't demanding that we sign the other 5 first team players this week, but there is obviously the desire that we bring them in soon enough for them to actually play together in some friendlies.

IMO, a new goalkeeper can come on deadline day, for all I care. Goalkeepers seem to fit into a team seamlessly.

A settled back four is ideal and can take a bit of time to gel. As you say would be ideal to get a few friendlies in if possible. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd rather take a punt on the trezeguet at 8m then spending double on maupay  

I'd rather not take a punt.  Punt's are for when you have some room for error.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If a player tries to fleece us we just need to say "k thanx bai".

I have no doubt we are much cleverer and prudent now though, for the first time in a decade I am actually fairly confident the owners and management team aren't idiots.

I agree

These demanding we sign mings, if his agent is bringing £80k a week to the table then the deal isn't hsppening

But at the same time you can't point the finger at villa and accuse them of bring too slow

Trust in the people we have and let things run their course 

• Like 1