Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we were on to something with the French setup. We just seemed to forget you also need a defence and Goalie that gives a shit.

And a manager who didn't freeze out all the "Johnny Foreigners" just because they weren't his signings...  If Sherwood would have brought in a French assistant and embraced the direction our recruitment team wanted us to go in, things might have played out a lot differently for us.  Gana, Veretout, and Amavi all look like genuine quality players now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

And a manager who didn't freeze out all the "Johnny Foreigners" just because they weren't his signings...  If Sherwood would have brought in a French assistant and embraced the direction our recruitment team wanted us to go in, things might have played out a lot differently for us.  Gana, Veretout, and Amavi all look like genuine quality players now.

i completely agree, Amavi, Gana, Veretout are very good players, if we had done the right thing back then i dont think we would even remotely be in the position we are now......

I think the ideas we had were probably right in terms of the types of players we wanted to sign, its just our implementation and management was terrible.

Edited by MaVilla

27 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I get the impression that we have a team in Suso and Smith who are on the same wavelength, thank God.  Without that then it's hard to get full value from transfers, whether you're a big or small club.  I'm sure that Smith would try and coach any player given to him rather than throw a hissy fit if it's not his personal first choice.

Edited by sharkyvilla

26 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I can’t judge Sherwood or the recruitment team on signings without knowing who was responsible for bringing in Richards, Lescott and Gestede.

54 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

Can't seem to start a topic, thats fair enough...

Wednesday are looking to sign Josh Onomah..i know he played a fair few games for Villa, he played about 4 for us...got injured, went back to spurs...

is he worth a punt?

He will be one of those players Bruce will sign wherever he manages.

He is utter shite imonand we always dredded him coming on as a sub.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t judge Sherwood or the recruitment team on signings without knowing who was responsible for bringing in Richards, Lescott and Gestede.

if i recall correctly, it was the "recruitment team" who recruited Gana, Veretout, Amavi, Gollini using the performance data method thingy, but Sherwood didnt like them as they werent "his" signings.

I believe the signings of Lescott, Richards & Gestede were Sherwoods choices, as he wanted "proven players he knew".

Edited by MaVilla

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He will be one of those players Bruce will sign wherever he manages.

He is utter shite imonand we always dredded him coming on as a sub.

MMmm..Well thats a step up from f.ookin' Alman Abdi...but still sounds risky lol

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Those 3 in particular were all Sherwood if I were to guess. 

2 hours ago, ASOWL said:

Can't seem to start a topic, thats fair enough...

Wednesday are looking to sign Josh Onomah..i know he played a fair few games for Villa, he played about 4 for us...got injured, went back to spurs...

is he worth a punt?

I thought he showed flashes of being a very bright talent, would make a great squad player I reckon, still young and learning his trade. Scored 4 goals for us. Did Bruce sign him on loan for Wednesday?

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I thought he showed flashes of being a very bright talent, would make a great squad player I reckon, still young and learning his trade. Scored 4 goals for us. Did Bruce sign him on loan for Wednesday?

No mate...It was the idiot before him if I recall correctly

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Am I the only person that doesn’t hate Delph? 

I blame the club more for how the whole thing was handled. If you break it out all down the club knew all along he was going. But they managed to get 6m out of it and also make him a hated person.

So the club made him do the whole “This is my club, this is where I’m staying” spiel?

Nah... he’s a prick

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thunderball said:

How did he fair at Wednesday?

Onomah?

Total jury out mate..Just didn't see enough to make a decision

I do remember a game when I'd forgot he was on the pitch tho'

Which is a bit worrying

Trouble is with Wednesday this season was...Everyone seemed under instruction to pass it to bannan...or failing that...shout 

"Shoooooooot" at Adam Reach

There was no finesse..it was all rather desperate...allied to the fact Luhukay fell out with several vital players, who when brought back were very influential in the forlorn charge from relegation to playoff hopefuls that your lads scuppered at Hillsborough

Edited by ASOWL

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Pretty sure all of them were long range deflected shots lol

Very deep down there is a player in there but it's just not worth the trouble trying to bring it out. If Wednesday have any promotion aspirations is steer clear of him.

34 minutes ago, ASOWL said:

Onomah?

Total jury out mate..Just didn't see enough to make a decision

I do remember a game when I'd forgot he was on the pitch tho'

Which is a bit worrying

Trouble is with Wednesday this season was...Everyone seemed under instruction to pass it to bannan...or failing that...shout 

"Shoooooooot" at Adam Reach

There was no finesse..it was all rather desperate...allied to the fact Luhukay fell out with several vital players, who when brought back were very influential in the forlorn charge from relegation to playoff hopefuls that your lads scuppered at Hillsborough

You’re in good hands with Bruce.  It won’t be pretty but it will be effective. He will probably get you to playoffs and then anything’s possible. In the transfer market he’s not to bad either. He knows he need one or two special players to be the difference whilst the rest are shutting up shop. 

As for Onomah. He ain’t gonna make the difference but he ain’t gonna make you worse. Basically a signing  that keeps you ticking over if that makes sense? 

Now get the hell out of our transfer thread!! ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

So the club made him do the whole “This is my club, this is where I’m staying” spiel?

Nah... he’s a prick

Believe it or not they probably did. It wasn’t spur of the moment it was manufactured. 

Yes he may well be a prick. I personally think he was just very naive.

edit: just realised I’d already responded. Had one too many tonight.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

Remi Garde needed to takeover at the start of the season, even though Timmy had his good run full of pashun, the writing was on the wall towards the end of the season that he didn't have a clue.

He can be blamed heavily but Timmy's handling of some our players was detrimental to our fight against relegation. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re in good hands with Bruce.  It won’t be pretty but it will be effective. He will probably get you to playoffs and then anything’s possible. In the transfer market he’s not to bad either. He knows he need one or two special players to be the difference whilst the rest are shutting up shop. 

As for Onomah. He ain’t gonna make the difference but he ain’t gonna make you worse. Basically a signing  that keeps you ticking over if that makes sense? 

Now get the hell out of our transfer thread!! ;) 

Yep. As bad as some say the Bruce era was we won 25/26 games last season.(edit won 24 drew 11)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1