Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

I guess it depends on how you consider a clubs wealth. Farhad Moshiri is worth about $2bn, whereas Sawaris & Edens combined are worth at least $10bn. 

Being in the premier league for the past three years and getting huge revenue because of this is obviously a huge advantage, but look at Wolves. Even Fulham, Khan is worth about $5bn and they spent $100m. 

I guess a super rich owner only means so much because it's down to what they want to invest but based on the cash injections we've seen in companies house and their combined wealth I really don't think 30/40m signings are beyond the realms of possibility. 

But I though FFP means you can only spend what you earn?  So it’s irrelevant how rich our owners are.  

14 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

I guess it depends on how you consider a clubs wealth. Farhad Moshiri is worth about $2bn, whereas Sawaris & Edens combined are worth at least $10bn. 

Being in the premier league for the past three years and getting huge revenue because of this is obviously a huge advantage, but look at Wolves. Even Fulham, Khan is worth about $5bn and they spent $100m. 

I guess a super rich owner only means so much because it's down to what they want to invest but based on the cash injections we've seen in companies house and their combined wealth I really don't think 30/40m signings are beyond the realms of possibility. 

Theoretically Villa have two great owners. One of them is well versed in sports franchise and is successful at it, the other is one of the worlds best businessmen. Both incredibly wealthy and both hungry for success in English football. They are used to winning, and want to win. We could be at the start of a exhilarating journey! 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But I though FFP means you can only spend what you earn?  So it’s irrelevant how rich our owners are.  

My understanding is that in the premier league there's a lot more focus on owner investment, whereas in the championship it's about the clubs being self sufficient and sustainable. Owners in the championship as a whole are no where near as wealthy. 

Rich owners also make it easier to pump cash into the club via share issues, training ground sponsorship etc. I don't think we have an issue really, we could easily spend up to £150m this summer and if we stay up I would imagine we will invest accordingly moving forwards too. 

It's only been 3 years but the ambition of transfers for clubs like West Ham, Crystal Palace etc has changed unbelievably! When we were last up there was not a chance West Ham would have players like Felipe Anderson for example.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The only 2 former Villa players who are still playing that I would consider us signing would be Cahill and Milner - and that is only if the wages are right and on a 1 year deal.

There's a bizarre obsession with re-signing ex Villa players on here for some weird reason. I wouldn't have any of them back.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he was actually that good a defender. Would be a massive upgrade on Taylor though. 

Amavi under smith would be brilliant I reckon. I liked Amavi alot. I'd love him back

• Like 1

Might need a marquee-ish signing to show some intent to get other players to believe or get interested in the project?

Huge contracts will always bring certain players, but if we can show that we are building something here more players might be interested.

For all the talk about Wolves cheating by using Mendes they actually did create something that made it possible to get quality players interested without offering £200k/w.

Keeping Grealish in the Championship was huge, now we might need to make another statement of intent.

Hopefully not by spending silly money on the wrong players.

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Do Marseille have any decent players? Didn't Amavi go there?

Thauvin has been very good for them since he left Newcastle, Payet is obviously good but also 32 now, Strootman is good but way too injury prone, Kamara is a good young center back and Sanson could be worth a look.

There's a few others could do well for us as well, hopefully we are taking a look at what might be a few bargains there!

Edited by Teale's 'tache

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Also, as an afterthought, I'd imagine they would of been paying the £9m for Amavi over a number of years, if they can't afford a payment what happens then? Do we get him back or is just something that get's passed on when someone else picks him up?

12 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

It's only been 3 years but the ambition of transfers for clubs like West Ham, Crystal Palace etc has changed unbelievably! When we were last up there was not a chance West Ham would have players like Felipe Anderson for example.

But this is kind of my point as to why the wealth of the owners may become irrelevant. Every club in the top flight can now spend big because of Tv money. But the top 5 or 6 can spend even more. It’s probably the same calibte of players being bought by most its just everything has been inflated. 

I really hope im wrong but I don’t think having the second or third richest owners in the league matters that much anymore. It would have around 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Maxime López or Morgan Sanson would be unrealistic I know but worth cheeky bid .. 

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There's a bizarre obsession with re-signing ex Villa players on here for some weird reason. I wouldn't have any of them back.

Not really. People are discussing players that are available or rumoured to be available.

Some are dismissing them out of hand, on the assumption that they would command huge wages, and basically be too old.

There are countless examples of old players becoming great buys for teams. But because our recent history has seen us waste countless millions, the automatic response is often 'NO', despite some exceptions to the rule being of potential value to us.