Racism Part two

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's culturally appropriated the pronuciation of part of your nickname.

How'd you feel about that, huh?

Didn't realise he was a tree? How dare he? I'm outraged!

Is he any good at his job?

*Edit* This is not meant to belittle the discussion above about racism. More to point out that a monkeypuzzle is a tree!

Edited by Monkeypuzzle

24 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Administrator perhaps? but with a more fancy and jazzy name to it so it sounds more technical and important.   🤔

Probably. Funnily enough I saw her in the pub yesterday (a wake for a deceased ex-colleague), but I forgot to ask her. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I've not seen the film, so I don't know. 

It was a p***take on cultural appropriation.

They spend half the film ripping on how it is inappropriate. 

I'm very much for the protection of culture and black rights, but if you are looking at Tropic Thunder as an example of either racism or cultural appropriation then imo you are looking in entirely the wrong place.

The only people really hard done by in that film are Australians, who admittedly get some very lazy stereotypes and insults.

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

image.jpeg.3997cd89524ed65c05887e905fd63bb2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ea2c5077c2804a826c3f3de6b4f307e.jpeg

Genuine question. Why are these okay, but Monchi’s isn’t?

Are we seriously suggesting that there has been wider controversy about a Sporting Director in Spain doing it than two massive Hollywood films? There's been huge amounts of discourse on them over the years.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The cognitive dissonance here is very real.

There's probably at least a hint of irony in such up in arms offence over the course of 4-5 pages over a solitary example of someone being offended.

Both things can be true that culturally this isn't as brazen an act as it would be in other countries, and that regardless it's still a mad thing to be doing in this day and age for obvious reasons.

Football left its morality at the door a long time ago though. We've got more nation states coming into the game, LaLiga itself being complicit in - and arguably contributing to - outright racism against Vini Jr etc. This is a drop in the ocean at this point, and ultimately it'll pass without any drama despite how much the narrative in here seems to be that this in another example of wokeism(?) ruining society. 

4 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Might want to practice what you preach there my dude. No one is interested.

I'm not the one taking this discussion wildly off-topic or making very false assumptions about the nationalities of those he's freely entered into discourse with. Museums indeed. 😅

22 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Are you english by any chance?

Out there protesting in front of the museum which contains thousands of items your country has pillaged from black people all over the world?

I don't agree with what Monchi has done but a lot of people here need to take a good look in their own backyard before piping up like this is the worst thing in the world.

It gets in the way of any real conversation and silencing the voices who matter the most.

Grow up.

You seem to be shutting his opinion down, he is fully entitled to it, as are you. Why are you offended by someone else's opinion, isn't that exactly what you are complaining about yourself? lol

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

As a Mixed Race man born here in the UK these “woke” people genuinely make our situation harder . I’ve experienced more racism in the past 3 years than I ever did growing up in the 90’s and 00’s. I  agree when people “black up” or whatever it’s called it can come across cringey and I’ve felt slightly uncomfortable int the past at fancy dress parties and so on but it didn’t bother me to the extent that I needed to confront someone about it and to be fair I’ve never experienced a person doing it from a standpoint of malice.

Superb post.

29 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Proud woke leftie here and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt on this one and put this more the 'ignorant' category than 'racist'...but that's just my personal view and I fully acknowledge that it's not up to me as a white person to say what people should or shouldn't be offended by

Be good to hear the views of more people of colour on this matter because there's actually very few articles relating to this festival that I can find and you'd think there would be more outrage 

Exactly where I am with it.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’ll notice several non white posters have posted their views and not one are offended or upset with Monchi. 

Their view is just as valid as those non white posters who haven't spoken up, but are offended - no doubt there are various good reasons why we won't hear from them.

A decent, liberal (live and let live) society, is judged by what it does to protect and respect the rights and interests of everyone regardless of their background. Not just those in the majority. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Pretty frustrated at that account that has mouthed off actually.

Why not mention it as soon as he was linked? Say then I hope he isn't appointed because of this and I think he's a racist. Commit.

He waited for maximum impact. He doesn't care about racism. He cares about attention. Dweeb.

I unfollowed him already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Generally it seems to be a right wing stalking horse 

Generally, it shows a lack of seriousness and willingness to engage with the issues in a respectful way. People with that kind of attitude are not looking to debate, they are looking to undermine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Generally, it shows a lack of seriousness and willingness to engage with the issues in a respectful way. People with that kind of attitude are not looking to debate, they are looking to undermine.

I would class myself as quite left wing and it bothers me that a lot of things associated with the left are so far removed from core principle of class struggle but woke is still an oft used throwaway phrase by right wingers to shut down debate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I would class myself as quite left wing and it bothers me that a lot of things associated with the left are so far removed from core principle of class struggle but woke is still an oft used throwaway phrase by right wingers to shut down debate

Spot on.

• Like 1

Â