Racism Part two

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just read that Mahatma Gandhi’s statue in London was vandalised. Now he was a racist but he also did a lot (allegedly) in the struggle against British rule and oppression.  Did he deserve it?

The good outweighs the bad imo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The good outweighs the bad imo

It’s an interesting one. Was Ghandi any more racist to non Hindus than say Nelson Mandela was to non black people? I know it’s an extreme example but I’m surprised  by this attack on his statue to be honest.  

I always thought the world loved Ghandi as he’s portrayed as a hero in the media.

Will have to try and do some more reading on this one. 

For the record I don’t care about any statues. I’m just having a discussion.  @snowychap you tend to know everything. Any thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is an article here from the BBC looking at Ghandi’s views towards black people. His defenders use the same argument that whilst he may have been racist it was just a different time back then.

In 1893, Gandhi wrote to the Natal parliament saying that a "general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are a little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa". 

In 1904, he wrote to a health officer in Johannesburg that the council "must withdraw Kaffirs" from an unsanitary slum called the "Coolie Location" where a large number of Africans lived alongside Indians. "About the mixing of the Kaffirs with the Indians, I must confess I feel most strongly." 

The same year he wrote that unlike the African, the Indian had no "war-dances, nor does he drink Kaffir beer". When Durban was hit by a plague in 1905, Gandhi wrote that the problem would persist as long as Indians and Africans were being "herded together indiscriminately at the hospital".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34265882

• Thanks 1

One Little Indian, the former record label to Kitchens of Distinction and The Sugarcubes and currently Bjork, has changed their name to One Little Independent Records. Not sure how I feel, unsure if its needed but then its not me that would feel anything by their former name anyway. Online the move seems largely applauded. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s an interesting one. Was Ghandi any more racist to non Hindus than say Nelson Mandela was to non black people? I know it’s an extreme example but I’m surprised  by this attack on his statue to be honest.  

I always thought the world loved Ghandi as he’s portrayed as a hero in the media.

Will have to try and do some more reading on this one. 

For the record I don’t care about any statues. I’m just having a discussion.  @snowychap you tend to know everything. Any thoughts?

In india Ghandi isn't overwhelmingly popular with all Indians. The nationalist Hindu's for example (not all but taking a group that do not identify with him). You may call them hardliners, but there is a voice that believe Ghandi was too anti-Hindu and pro-muslim especially around the time of partition. Modi's BJP appeals to the nationalist vote for their power base, but it also means he has to give a voice or a platform for those that agitate against Ghandi's legacy, or for those that want to promote a harder line across India on religious lines (death penalty for killing a cow for example).

Don't get me wrong, Ghandi is hugely popular but many people, usually of a poorer background, are either not interested in him or allow his memory to be tranished for their own right-wing agenda, which is ironic given his own questionable racist background in South Africa. However, it did also appear that he attempted to disavow or separate from those early views, something which Churchill never did.

Edited by peterw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not worried neither do I have a concern.   I’m just asking how many statues have to be pulled down before it’s done. What’s the criteria?

im really not looking for an argument here. 

Personally dont think you said anything wrong there either. Its a fair question.

• Like 1

I just read that they have removed the league of gentlemen from Netflix, I can only assume because of Papa Lazarazu, Also Little Britain

Edited by Follyfoot

My fear with this whole situation is soon your going to see such shortages of police officers because some of this movement has seen more attacks in police officers. My friends brother was attacked yesterday in hackney (there is a video of it) hardly anyone wanted to help him instead more interested of getting their phones and vidoeing incident and mocking him. Its absolutely disgusting and shows how hard police have it.

Who protects us then if we have no police because  as we are not protecting them??

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

I rarely see such platitudes aimed at the strife of teachers, almost 1/5 of who leave the profession within 1 year of qualifying, due to the pressure, behaviour and abuse from students etc. 

Instead they're mocked for saying they have a difficult job, accused of shying away from work preferring long holidays; even during the Corona situation, they were insulted and belittled on the front pages of many national newspapers.

Nobody is denying policing is a difficult job, but generally all public sector work is and I would say the police, before all of this situation resulting in an incredibly minor amount of attacks on them, have it better than a lot of public sector workers.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

I just read that they have removed the league of gentlemen from Netflix, I can only assume because of Papa Lazarazu, Also Little Britain

Little Britain I can understand because some of the characters have dated badly (and its shit) 

If they've done league of gentleman because of papa lazarazu though that's bullshit, despite the make up he's not a "black face" character, there's no racial connotations to him, that's what happens when you don't review things in detail and apply context

Edit - the inbetweeners has been taken off some apps too which I don't understand as well as rumours they're coming for django and hateful 8

Edited by villa4europe

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Little Britain I can understand because some of the characters have dated badly (and its shit) 

If they've done league of gentleman because of papa lazarazu though that's bullshit, despite the make up he's not a "black face" character, there's no racial connotations to him, that's what happens when you don't review things in detail and apply context

Edit - the inbetweeners has been taken off some apps too which I don't understand as well as rumours they're coming for django and hateful 8

I watched Django again the other night. I still think it's a class movie.

Also - The Inbetweeners makes no sense.  I can understand Little Britain, LoG seems a bit of a stretch, but The Inbetweeners is bizarre.  When Will invariably does something against the disabled (accidentally) he shows immediate remorse and is rightly mugged off by his mates about it.

• Like 1

Saw Lewis Hamilton threw his 2p in

Then saw the barrage of abuse he got because he drives a Mercedes car and has a Hugo Boss sponsorship and both companies have ties to the nazis, he also lives in Switzerland for tax reasons

Anything he has to say as a young black man is therefore irrelevant... 

The noise about what the problem actually is is once again taking over discussing and actually fixing the problem, same as always 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the inbetweeners has been taken off

I think its due to copyright issues and not related  ... unless vegans have got it removed for the fish punching episode :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I watched Django again the other night. I still think it's a class movie.

Also - The Inbetweeners makes no sense.  I can understand Little Britain, LoG seems a bit of a stretch, but The Inbetweeners is bizarre.  When Will invariably does something against the disabled (accidentally) he shows immediate remorse and is rightly mugged off by his mates about it.

Disabled people are still fair game aren't they?  

• Haha 1

Â