Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

Yep indeed.

Was coming back to post this, it's very difficult not to love him 😔

However it must be even a little bit gutting.

Not being any of the Captain's at all is a proper demotion.

• Like 1

I do think that we will be better defensively with Carlos "leading" the back 4 (and I think that Mings should be starting in that back 4) because he seems to read the game better than Tyrone.  It would be (potentially) confusing having Mings as captain and yet him being ordered around by Carlos.  I think Mings will become a better defender if he is just worrying about himself.  Just hope that he isn't hugely demotivated.

1 minute ago, allani said:

I do think that we will be better defensively with Carlos "leading" the back 4 (and I think that Mings should be starting in that back 4) because he seems to read the game better than Tyrone.  It would be (potentially) confusing having Mings as captain and yet him being ordered around by Carlos.  I think Mings will become a better defender if he is just worrying about himself.  Just hope that he isn't hugely demotivated.

I don't think that'll be an issue, they should be talking and trusting each other. Partnering the skipper shouldn't make you a mute. 

I do think this is excuses really, Gerrard for whatever reason has never fancied Tyrone as skipper. His reasoning today rings a little bit hollow to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was coming back to post this, it's very difficult not to love him 😔

However it must be even a little bit gutting.

Not being any of the Captain's at all is a proper demotion.

Can’t lie, really feel sorry for him. He’s been dropped from the England squad and had the Villa captaincy taken off him all in the space of a couple of months. All very publically, got to be hard to deal with. There’s been players that have committed actual crimes or generally conducted themselves really poorly that have got off lighter than that.

Yes I get it’s performance related and I’m not even saying it’s wrong (although I can’t think of a game we’ve won when McGinn has been captain) but just a real shame for him personally. 

1 minute ago, Dale said:

I don't think that'll be an issue, they should be talking and trusting each other. Partnering the skipper shouldn't make you a mute. 

I do think this is excuses really, Gerrard for whatever reason has never fancied Tyrone as skipper. His reasoning today rings a little bit hollow to me. 

I want Carlos to be much more than a mute.  I think he needs to be the leader / organiser of the defence.  So I can see how if Mings is captain the lines of "authority" are blurred.  But between Mings and McGinn I would have Tyrone as captain every single time.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

performance related

Occasional lapse in a generally otherwise good set of performances. He was very good for the most part under Gerrard, despite the system often leaving the centre backs criminally exposed. 

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Can’t lie, really feel sorry for him. He’s been dropped from the England squad and had the Villa captaincy taken off him all in the space of a couple of months. All very publically, got to be hard to deal with. There’s been players that have committed actual crimes or generally conducted themselves really poorly that have got off lighter than that.

Yes I get it’s performance related and I’m not even saying it’s wrong (although I can’t think of a game we’ve won when McGinn has been captain) but just a real shame for him personally. 

YARN | And nice guys finish last. | Superman III (1983) | Video clips by  quotes | 5c12083c | 紗

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

Occasional lapse in a generally otherwise good set of performances. He was very good for the most part under Gerrard, despite the system often leaving the centre backs criminally exposed. 

Konsa looked more exposed under Gerrard. Mings was very solid for the most part. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

I agree actually re last season but thinking that he has been a bit iffy pre season and not an automatic starter. I don’t think Gerrard has fancied him since the moment he stepped in the door.

• Like 1

This just feels weird - the announcement, etc. Gerrard clearly has an issue with him - even the question about him being captain when he was appointed felt odd.

Almost like we're trying to sell him?

I think he's a top human being, and has been our best CB since he joined. Yes, he's made mistakes, but he owns them and never hides. Think has to be a kick in the balls. 

Edited by Pez1974
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, AV82 said:

He's not good enough to play week in, week out. This will hopefully give him a kick up the arse to start performing more consistently.

For what it's worth neither is McGinn but Gerrard has his favourites.

Or maybe our manager has more experience than you, knows more about footballers, sees the players day in and day out, plus was an unreal captain himself. 

I love how we have so many fully qualified coaches and managers that are fans, shame that playing fifa means nothing in the real world of top level professional football. 

TY can now concentrate on his own game, instead of having to carry konsa, hause and at times last season Chambers. 

Ginny I think will be a great captain, he must have something about him to be a leader considering he captains his country also, so I'd rather trust a national team manager and our manager than our thousand of fifa22 managers that wouldn't have a clue about running a Premier league team. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I know the manager was different but grealish kept the captaincy despite drink driving after going to a party during lockdown ffs

This all seems very unfair 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I know the manager was different but grealish kept the captaincy despite drink driving after going to a party during lockdown ffs

This all seems very unfair 

This!! I’m actually disgusted that we placated him that much. Massive mistake from Smith and co at the time. 

It almost feels like you hang him out to dry which is unfair. At least make him vice captain 

Seems a bit odd to me.  I'm surprised McGinn is more sure of a place in the team than Mings.  Dropping Mings was one of Dean's last acts as manager and it didn't turn out too well (I'm not criticising anyone for that, just an observation).

• Like 1

I feel this has been in the pipeline for months and Gerrard has got to own this if it goes right or wrong.

I am sure it won’t affect TM on the pitch as he will always be a leader and organiser.

54 minutes ago, Dale said:

He's one of our best two centre backs. So... He should be playing pretty much every week. 

McGinn isn't in my starting 11.

I'd pick Carlos, Chambers and Konsa over Mings personally.

Feels a bit harsh on Mings but at the same time it might work out in a roundabout way. Mings now has a point to prove, if it was me I would treat it this way anyway and it might get the best out of McGinn again. Neither should be guaranteed starters based on last season though. 

Â