Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

I bloody love Tyrone Mings and we are much better with him as a visible influence on the team and a rock at the back.  I am constantly flabbergasted at the cr*p he gets from some fans.  Respect the man who stuck with us from a loan spell when we were in the sh*t and has helped lead us to PL security, all whilst getting caps for England.

He wouldn't get abuse, if he was no good.

I think you are right....He was at the beginning of our renaissance, from those dark, dark days.

He was instrumental in us moving away from conceding goals in the championship.

I like Ty, but I equally recognise, that time moves on and progress with it......SG will stay with him as long as he see's the need to move things on....its our natural evolution.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We should all have been able to see the issue with the poor performances was the midfield and the issue with the midfield was the full backs. It's all well and good praising Mings now for a system change that leaves the CBs less exposed than they had been. 

Mings has been consistent since Gerrard took over in my view, he didn't have a great game against Leeds in the 3-3 is about all I can remember in terms of his performances. Mings was also very consistent last season, but we played with a double pivot and a 6 man defensive set up back then of which he was 1 player.

I think the key for next season is who is the ball playing CB to play alongside Mings and who is the CDM in front of him. I see Mings, Cash, Digne, Martinez as set in stone for starting next seasons opener.

Welcome to Villa talk Tyrone Mings

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

I was SO hoping he'd bag a goal last night, followed by a finger-to-the-lips 'shush' celebration. Seemed a little nervous towards the start, the knuckle draggers abuse did seem to unsettle him. But he settled down, grew into the game, and hardly put a foot wrong. His reaction at full time shows what he thinks of his team mates, and it certainly looks like the feelings mutual, they all embraced him like a long lost brother. Great captain, great role model, yeah he's not perfect at everything 100% of the time, but I'd struggle to think of a realistic replacement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Other Mat said:

Relative to games played his clean sheets and goal contributions stand up against some of our best Premier league defenders. 

N.B. Alan Wright was a beast!

Don't think any of those played in a team as bad as our first year back team either, we can't have kept many clean sheets that year

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Rosk said:

I bloody love Tyrone Mings and we are much better with him as a visible influence on the team and a rock at the back.  I am constantly flabbergasted at the cr*p he gets from some fans.  Respect the man who stuck with us from a loan spell when we were in the sh*t and has helped lead us to PL security, all whilst getting caps for England.

What?

On 11/03/2022 at 08:42, Delphinho123 said:

Tyrone is turning into a bit of a Villa legend. Since the moment he came in, we’ve been on an upwards trajectory. His loan signing is almost the pinpoint moment, as a club, we started on this progressive path to the top half of the PL.

Indeed. That game against Sheff Utd (his second for us I believe?) when we came back to draw 3-3, with him scoring one of the goals, was huge for our confidence that season I feel.

I've said it before, but the most important signing we've made in at least a decade is Tyrone. His arrival is when things turned around and its mostly been onwards and upwards since.

I suspect that if we sign Coutinho permanently in the summer, we'll probably end up looking back at that as the most important signing of the next decade 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People wont want to hear this but Mings has surpassed Grealish in the race to be a Villa legend. Its a word thrown around a lot but Tyrone has nearly got to that stage, probably needs to help us win a trophy or get into Europe to cement it

I also think people underestimate his capacity to remain first choice as we hopefully move towards challenging for Europe consistently. He will continue to improve as a player and a leader IMO

Even as he gets older and we maybe do look to replace him in the first XI, I'd love for him to stick around and play a similar role as Vincent Kompany did for Citeh

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

People wont want to hear this but Mings has surpassed Grealish in the race to be a Villa legend. Its a word thrown around a lot but Tyrone has nearly got to that stage, probably needs to help us win a trophy or get into Europe to cement it

I think Grealish lost the right to be named a Villa legend once he chose Man City.

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

They’re both far from legends, but Mings is certainly closer than Grealish. Grealish is just a footnote now and an impressive transfer stat. 

Â