Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

So frustrating that we had 3 wonderfully crafted goals cancelled out by 3 instances of absolute kamikaze defending.

Doesn't just apply to Mings but we don't have a catch all defence thread and this guy's the captain.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So frustrating that we had 3 wonderfully crafted goals cancelled out by 3 instances of absolute kamikaze defending.

Doesn't just apply to Mings but we don't have a catch all defence thread and this guy's the captain.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

• Like 1

If Mings was playing with a quality ball playing CB then he wouldn't always be the guy who has to take the onus of playing out from back or carrying the ball forward. Konsa is far too limited a footballer and to my eye is the one who needs to be dropped and replaced in summer. I am a big fan of Gomez and he would be a brilliant partner for Mings. 

We also need to cut the defence some slack as Luiz does absolutely nothing to help the CBs. He's not suited at all to the role he's been asked to play in this team and we desperately need Nakamba back fit. 

Bissouma and Gomez being added to our first team will be transformative for us in the summer. I pray we can pull both of those off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Every single team lets him carry the ball out like he done last night.  

They really don't. All team try and stop defenders carrying the ball out of defence, and there are examples where Tyrone (or any defender) has the ball taken off them in trying it. The key is for the defender to do it at the right time and circumstances and then to actually make something happen. The best advantage for the (any) oppo is to win the ball high up, because any team is then massively vulnerable if the ball is turned over, and all teams try and do that (with the odd exception when they're playing against a far superior team like man City or Liverpool where teams will try and be really compact and get everyone behind the ball).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If Mings was playing with a quality ball playing CB then he wouldn't always be the guy who has to take the onus of playing out from back or carrying the ball forward. Konsa is far too limited a footballer and to my eye is the one who needs to be dropped and replaced in summer. I am a big fan of Gomez and he would be a brilliant partner for Mings. 

We also need to cut the defence some slack as Luiz does absolutely nothing to help the CBs. He's not suited at all to the role he's been asked to play in this team and we desperately need Nakamba back fit. 

Bissouma and Gomez being added to our first team will be transformative for us in the summer. I pray we can pull both of those off.

I really like Konsa, but if I had a choice between him and Mings on current ability, I think Mings is the better defender overall too.

But both Mings & Konsa have produced excellent performances and records for us in the past so I rate them both. I think that the bigger problem is needing better support from the midfield to protect our backline. Luiz is a good player imo, but last night he didn't do enough to protect our back 4 imo.

Edited by osmark86

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

image.png.e86344e1f7b46be07a820e7ff2f5c180.png.74d67eeae3b0399afad58dfcfba148d2.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

thought he was awful, accountable for all three goals and  thought he was Franz Beckanbaur with his forward runs . Yes Konsa was poor to. 

first goal he goes after the ball carrying Leeds player and forces a pass that goes to Dan James that Konsa fails to cover (goes through his legs). Not Mings fault imo.

second goal, Luiz scuffs a ball into the middle that Mings has to throw himself desperately at. Not Mings fault imo.

third goal, Mings plays last line of defense and stops a ball instinctively that unfortunately bounces right back at the Leeds attacker. Could have done better but not really on Mings imo.

• Like 1

Just now, osmark86 said:

first goal he goes after the ball carrying Leeds player and forces a pass that goes to Dan James that Konsa fails to cover (goes through his legs). Not Mings fault imo.

second goal, Luiz scuffs a ball into the middle that Mings has to throw himself desperately at. Not Mings fault imo.

third goal, Mings plays last line of defense and stops a ball instinctively that unfortunately bounces right back at the Leeds attacker. Could have done better but not really on Mings imo.

Down to opinion, his head was all over the place and should have done better in all three instances. 

This is what Ashley Preece of Birmingham Mail says

At fault for Leeds' first and third and perhaps should have wiped James out for his second. Mings also spurned a glorious chance to equalise with a free header from seven yards out as well during what was an eventful first-half for the England man. The chaos continued after the break with Mings brilliantly blocking Struijk's header off the goal-line before a poor and off-balance clearance went straight into Llorente's path who made no mistake for 3-3. 4

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People are allowed to criticise Mings and not mention Konsa, you know. 
Konsa was dreadful last night, and I've said as much to other Villa fans. It still doesn't take away from the fact that Mings is making mistakes that are leading to the opposition scoring. 

• Like 3

Just now, avfcDJ said:

It’s been a key attribute for top defenders for years. Ferdinand was great at it. 

But Ferdinand was top drawer and Mings thinks he is but when he sticks to normal defending hes pretty good. Last night he was too much of a loose cannon and it effected his decsion making

Â