Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Leaving aside the errors and discipline issues from the last few weeks, the long passes that Ming’s plays up to Grealish and Watkins are a massive part of our game and we will miss his passing in the Chelsea game. I think he’ll come straight back in after his suspension as he often starts our attacks and I don’t think Konsa or Hause have the same range of passing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Saying we should get rid of Mings is absolute madness, but if Hause plays well in the next game, I think it sends a very poor message to immediately drop him for Mings. 

We bemoan our lack of depth in the squad. When players earn their place, they ought to keep it. 

I think certain players will always start if they are fit and Mings is one of them. I doubt Hause would have a problem with that. 

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He clearly didn't mean to rake his studs there. Mcginn was in the floor so he had to bring his leg high over him and he tries to get his foot down before his momentum carries him into Zaha and it looks like he has tried to shove his boot up zahas arse.

He probably deserved both booking but Zaha should have been sent off before and fouled mings for the 2nd.

That's more or less my take on it

Zaha flattens McGinn ... Mings jumps over McGinn to get to where the ball is. 
Whether he wants to exert a little bit of retribution for the flattening of McGinn, I don't know.
Don't know whether he catches Zaha intentionally or not.

Zaha appears to be upset with Mings and appears to want to get to Mings. Mings appears willing for Zaha to get to him, but team mates prevent the getting together.

What surprises me is when Zaha is complaining to the referee, I did not see him pointing to the stud marks on the back of his calf? I certainly would have been if I had been raked.

Of course appearances are not always what they seem to be.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

That's more or less my take on it

Zaha flattens McGinn ... Mings jumps over McGinn to get to where the ball is. 
Whether he wants to exert a little bit of retribution for the flattening of McGinn, I don't know.
Don't know whether he catches Zaha intentionally or not.

Zaha appears to be upset with Mings and appears to want to get to Mings. Mings appears willing for Zaha to get to him, but team mates prevent the getting together.

What surprises me is when Zaha is complaining to the referee, I did not see him pointing to the stud marks on the back of his calf? I certainly would have been if I had been raked.

Of course appearances are not always what they seem to be.

I'm still baffled how Palace got the free kick given the whistle went for the foul on McGinn.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Again though I don't think people are saying he isn't up for/to it.

People myself included are saying he has over the last couple of months made too many individual errors, often fairly basic ones. He has also on a couple of occasions lost his cool, Leeds where he got away with it and today where he didn't. We now go to Chelsea without him, which I think we would all agree is far from ideal as we would rather have him in the side.

Mings is a very good defender however despite the collective form and results of our defence I think his personal performances have been below what he is capable of and he needs to improve.

I'm not blaming Mings for all 7 goals conceded but he was poor in those games and I was answering the question of where "poor again" came from.

Trent, you are having the proper discussion on his level of play this season so fair play there. I have nothing wrong with comments/discussions on his concentration or questionable positioning at times. Having spent the majority of my football playing days as a defender I always play close attention to that area of the pitch.  

What does me in and honestly and can sap my enjoyment after a great performance is coming here and watching people call for his replacement. They are there, pages of them, and others on here see it. This is what General Krulak promised us a decade ago 😉 and Mings has played his part. 

I want to enjoy this feel good season and when you look at the squad, Mings will be integral to our progress. 

• Like 1

Dean's take on the incident.

"I thought the first yellow card was pathetic," added Smith. "Tyrone is stopping himself from getting attacked and gets a yellow card for it. With the second one, it looks like there is a foul just before Tyrone commits the foul - so they are two very soft yellow cards."

Perhaps he is just defending his player.

10 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

"I thought the first yellow card was pathetic," added Smith. "Tyrone is stopping himself from getting attacked and gets a yellow card for it. With the second one, it looks like there is a foul just before Tyrone commits the foul - so they are two very soft yellow cards."

As any good manager should. First yellow was soft and the second was deserved. Zaha is an elite level irritant. Mings will have to be better in the future. 

Mings could of got caught out a good many a time this season. I dont think any of us has to relise that we need someone to stay back in times were getting countered. If its Mings that's the one staying back then against the likes of Zaha you know full well who's going to win the race to our goal. Mings should stay further back, should give himself enough yards and time to make a charge to our box. What hes doing is just daft collecting cards when he could be the one to slow opposition down properly but he cant do that cus hes so far out so the only way is to bring them down.

He needs to wise up to faster players, you cant be bringing players down as much anymore. All this video tech and referees looking at it now as soon as someone is doing something wrong you expose the team for a defeat if you lose one player. It could of gone bad today, sure it didnt but it could of and Mings would of been slaughtered on VT if wed of lost being a man down.

All I want him to do is be smarter, hes a good defender but his mistakes at times make it hard to trust him at the time he needs to show his class.

Someone was always going to go out of Mings and Zaha, just so happened it was Mings, I did think it was abit harsh on the first incident but it is what it is and next game he plays he needs to be better.

32 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

This is 100% correct. Mings was screwed over and the reaction on here from some is very odd to me. 

I do think he was stupid picking up the second yellow but he did nothing for the first and he WAS fouled for the second (but still - should have then let Zaha go).

Anyway - I love him - but like Barkley I hope he now has a battle to play himself back in.

• Like 2

To be honest as stupid mings was, that gimp zaha was a moaning little bitch all game. He did 2 fouls after the yellow and should have been sent off himself.

Really dont like zaha. A miserable moody twerp. But we had the last laugh on him.

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I do think he was stupid picking up the second yellow but he did nothing for the first and he WAS fouled for the second (but still - should have then let Zaha go).

Possibly, but it would have been a two on one with Mings chasing and Zaha with a full head of steam.

If Villa went into the dressing room at 1:1 the game would have unfolded differently. 

My point being in that situation what would you do? Your instinct seems to be let Zaha go and Mings' was hold on. 

He **** up, yes, but I feel people are giving him too much stick. He's still a fantastic player for us and was a rock our previous two games. Let's not make him a scapegoat because that role is getting harder and harder to fill in this revitalized Villa. Big Ty is our man!

• Like 1

The first card wasn't a yellow, that was a pathetic decision by the ref. However, the second was a yellow and an absolute brainfart by Mings. 

For me, Mings has been the weakest link in all of the defensive part of the team this season. I still want him in the side for his leadership skills but, I really do think there's room for improvement from him as he's better than what he's showing. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, for some reason people get defensive about Mings criticism.

I think we all pretty much know that he has all the attributes to be outstanding. His head just seems to go at times.

I think my confusion with the criticism here is his head didn’t “go” today - he got a first booking for nothing and then a stupid second booking but one defenders get all the time. It was stupid but it’s not like he got the red mist or something. But some people are talking like he took a swing at the guy.

• Like 2

Â