Ever choked on your prejudice?

KenjiOgiwara

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My dad used to read the Mirror , I probably gave it a passing glance but wouldn’t have really been aware of its political bias at that age 

I can see people being influenced by their parents that’s sort of inevitable but I struggle with how  anyone can be overtly influenced by a newspaper though 

Everything in the Sun is written in a way to provoke anger and evoke patriotism.  With a side order of bewbs.

Edited by Wainy316

Difficult one for me to articulate. Previously I’d had a rather dim view of absent dads, to say the least. When I was told I was going to be a dad after a brief fling it felt like I’d been hit round the head with a hammer, the shock of it. Deciding whether to be involved was a bit of an internal struggle at times.

I have a great relationship with my daughter, see her all the time, wouldn’t change it for the world and I would advise anyone who was in a similar position to me that being involved was the right thing to do for me.

But because I know the shock of an unplanned pregnancy, I’m less likely to rush to judge someone if I found out that they chose not to be involved or that they didn’t act in a way that could be described as “decent”.

Basically I try not to hold other people to my own moral standards because I don’t know the entire story.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

nope im still waiting! was expecting them to come with age

I've got my head around gin but still not tonic

i'm yet to get my head around either...or real ale

When I was much younger, I had what I'd have presumed was a 'normal' prejudice against gayers. They were funny and dangerous in equal measure, to be avoided in case they try to bum someone. Basically, just not quite all there.

It wasn't an extreme view (in my opinion, at the time), I wouldn't have gone out to seek them out and fight them (as I would have with denim clad heavy metal types). They weren't an obsession, they were just consigned to the weirdo bin and to be avoided.

If I'd accidentally found myself in a gay bar, as I once did, I would leave and hope nobody I knew saw me leaving.

I got educated, via a crash course where, to cut a long story short, I ended up spending a couple of nights sharing digs with a gay bloke and from there met a couple of his friends.

Turns out, they're normal. Some of them are nice, some are dickheads, some can dance, some can't, some are a bit tight (with money 😎 ) some are a bit more easy going.

Normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t mind the odd Oasis track now and then. 

They're still and over-rated pub band though. 

Ah you will like them little by little.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) Vegetarian food. So far I am finding it quite delicious. I am still eating meat, but far less than I used to. Took me about 15 years of making fun of it I guess haha. 

2) Using a hairdryer. Absolutely no idea why, but when and where I grew up this was for girls and the Freddie Mercurys of this world. Then this year (after a trip to visit an Italian girl - couldn't make it up), and then I stared combing and hairdrying and it's not half bad. At least I don't rock the birds nest hairstyle anymore. 

Excactly these two, actually. 

I’ve started eating veggie for dinner three or four times a week, and love it. Five years ago I would laugh in your face at the very idea of not having meat for dinner.

I also used a hairdryer for the first time in, probably, 20 years the other day. Didn’t mind it, will probably use it again on a regular basis. I still have a full head of hair into my thirties, might as well make the most of it. 

Two things come to mind and recently too - clubbercise and yoga. I used to think the former was for women called Carol and Sandra getting pink faced whilst failing to keep up with the instructor, giggling as they go on. The latter I felt was for tree hugging hippies who viewed a carnivore like me with scorn as i collapse in a heap after the simplest of moves.

Well, not now. I partake in a weekly class for both and can honestly say that the benefits are surprisingly real already. I thoroughly recommend both.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, peterms said:

May I suggest cutting it up?

Someone snuck it in a sandwich, not visible from the edges but there it was, a chunk of iceberg, the very worst sort of lettuce, lurking in the middle

I am more prejudiced than ever against lettuce now, it's out to get me

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Someone snuck it in a sandwich, not visible from the edges but there it was, a chunk of iceberg, the very worst sort of lettuce, lurking in the middle

I am more prejudiced than ever against lettuce now, it's out to get me

Iceberg isn't worth eating.  Out of interest, is it the taste or the texture you don't like?  Do you eat other salad leaves like rocket or radicchio?

I've been giving tea a go, having always been a coffee drinker (well, since the age of 20 anyway). I had some visitors round after Christmas and the smallest box I could get from Tesco Express was 80 tea bags, so I've been drinking the odd cup here and there.  It's alright.

Probably should have been on the boring thread, but hey ho.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterms said:

Iceberg isn't worth eating.  Out of interest, is it the taste or the texture you don't like?  Do you eat other salad leaves like rocket or radicchio?

I eat plenty of other salad leaves and will tolerate stuff like Romaine as long as its cut well before the root. But Iceberg, grim, pointless, horrible shit. I don't really like the more curly varieties either

Â