Ever choked on your prejudice?

KenjiOgiwara

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

yeah, I agree

I'm sure the 1.2 million Mail readers fact check it before simply believing the ignorant shite that reinforces their prejudices.

BzgGQv2IQAAidUO.jpg

most newspapers are just echo chambers for morons of one shade or another, though looking at the circulation figures there are clearly more right wing newspaper reading morons than leftwing

you quoted a fake headline in your example 

or was that the joke joke and I missed it :blush:

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s because left wing don’t read tabloids. They are far too intelligent for that. 

Tbf the paper boy struggles with all those stairs in those ivory  towers :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s because left wing don’t read tabloids. They are far too intelligent for that. 

You know there has been peer reviewed research done on this and your little quip is actually closer to the truth than you think

Abstract

Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

Clicky

EDIT: The Tories know it too, they don't knock on peoples doors if they spot books on the shelves

• Like 1

I've used hairdriers for years. Perfectly normal way of drying hair 😀

And I think Tony is being a bit naive to think papers don't influence their readers. There's a reason most people stick to one regular paper, ok for a few it might genuinely be the crossword section, but news bias plays a significant part. 

I do remember going through a brief Daily mail phase when I was a teenager. Even my Tory parents were concerned!

I used to have a stronger prejudice against Vegans and chucked them all in the same PETA supporting terrorist lump. Still think PETA themselves are largely bellends mind.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you quoted a fake headline in your example 

or was that the joke joke and I missed it :blush:

yeah, that was the point, but fair play, I think you're the first crazy right wing nutjob surrey pensioner to spot its fake

✊

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was fake? Wtf am I supposed to do with all this pork scented inspect repellent I’ve bought??!!

Can still be useful. It's not the muslim spiders you need to worry about, its the Jewish ones as they control the world! 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I struggle to see how you struggle to see how i struggle 

without wishing to offend you’d have to be a bit of a moron if you let a newspaper influence your view of the world 

That's a bizarre thing to say.

Surely everyone is influenced (to varying degrees) by the inputs in to their life.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

yeah, that was the point, but fair play, I think you're the first crazy right wing nutjob surrey pensioner to spot its fake

✊

Oi less of the pensioner 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That's a bizarre thing to say.

Surely everyone is influenced (to varying degrees) by the inputs in to their life.

It's amazing how many people think it doesn't work. It's like people who think advertising is a waste of time and doesn't work. Guess all of those multi-billion pound companies are spending a fortune on it for a laugh. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's amazing how many people think it doesn't work. It's like people who think advertising is a waste of time and doesn't work. Guess all of those multi-billion pound companies are spending a fortune on it for a laugh. 

I am willing to debate that, because I think advertising is very effective on some people, on others it's pointless. I don't think I've ever bought something based upon adverts. Possibly a cold glass coke in the 90's. Adverts just puzzle me. 

Sorry for going off topic, but I've discussed this with friends before and it's definately person dependant. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I’ve not seen anyone arguing that advertising doesn’t work , what I’ve seen questioned is how much influence a newspaper played in influencing someone’s life ... or should i ban my kids from reading the guardian in case it turns them into vegans ? 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

yeah, I agree

I'm sure the 1.2 million Mail readers fact check it before simply believing the ignorant shite that reinforces their prejudices.

BzgGQv2IQAAidUO.jpg

most newspapers are just echo chambers for morons of one shade or another, though looking at the circulation figures there are clearly more right wing newspaper reading morons than leftwing

This looks like a fake to me - there's no mention of cancer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve not seen anyone arguing that advertising doesn’t work , what I’ve seen questioned is how much influence a newspaper played in influencing someone’s life ... or should i ban my kids from reading the guardian in case it turns them into vegans ? 

Nobody in the last few posts. Sure. I quite often see people posting about how they're too smart for advertising to work and how it's stupid though. People tend to be poor at realising how easily they and others can be manipulated.

I don't think it's as simple as "read a paper, and you immediately buy in to their editorial stance", nor has anyone suggested that. The echo chamber effect is very real, though. People read papers that broadly align with their views. That's why they buy that paper; people typically don't like to be challenged, but instead like to be told that they're right. And when you read the same kind  of material day in, day out for years on end, you begin to lose sight of the other side. the more you're exposed to similar views, the less you question them. I might start reading the Guardian  believing 7 out of every 10 article I read, but I started with that one because it's the one I most identify with. but I read it all of the time, and gradually I start to question that 3/10 less and less. It's along similar lines to "repeat a lie often enough, and it becomes the truth".

I don't think it's a coincidence that as social media has become more prevalent and people can choose to deny being exposed to views they disagree with, politics has become increasingly extremist.

• Like 1

My old dear used to buy me The Sun to read in the morning when I was a teenager, a strange parenting strategy, I agree. She thought it was good for me to read the news. 

Anyway, that leads me to my prejudice. I used to genuinely think that there was very little racism in the UK. It was borne out if naivity and ignorance of being young, but because I wasn't racist and couldn't understand why anyone else would be, I didn't know anyone that was racist I had not experienced racism, I thought it rarely existed. But when I was at school there were only one or two children in each school year which were not white skinned. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

what I’ve seen questioned is how much influence a newspaper played in influencing someone’s life

No, you didn't.

You posted:

without wishing to offend you’d have to be a bit of a moron if you let a newspaper influence your view of the world  

Not 'I wonder how much influence a newspaper played in influencing someone’s life' but 'you’d have to be a bit of a moron if you let a newspaper influence your view of the world'.

Â