Match Thread: Villa v Leeds

limpid

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Fair but equally we are up against arguably the best team in the league. Annoyingly though I don’t think we will win unless we get the next goal. 

They are determined and keep coming, imagine what it will be like if they pull one back, horrendous feeling as it nearly always means we'll throw it away. We cant get out due to their press, they are far too comfortable for the away side. Being put under too much pressure. Thankfully we have a cushion for now..

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We need to keep the ball better.

We're just inviting pressure if w ekeep playing like this

I think you have to give credit to Leeds High pressure for this, all over us like a rash forcing mistakes 

I think today shows Smith is capable of pragmatism, too. We’re noticably more direct and playing it long against their high pressing. Which is working great so far, but in the second half we also need to get control of possession far more and dictate the tempo of the game. Which is easier said than done, given the quality of their pressing and us missing our best player.

Edited by Michelsen

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Lucky. Leeds been the better side

You've carped about Nyland's kicking and that ain't true. There's zero wrong with his distribution. On the contrary, he throws out fast and accurate and clears well of either foot. His issues are closer to the goal line.

And no they haven't. They are two good goals down against a good side playing well. They haven't been awful, but certainly not the better side.

Great first half. Think we increasingly took control and looked comfortable on the ball, forcing Leeds into more speculative efforts on goal. McGinn has been a monster in midfield & Bolassie superb. Two wonderful goals, really top drawer. Pleasing to see Bree so composed as well. 

So what can go wrong?

Hard not to think of our capacity for second half meltdowns at this moment.

Let’s hope in 45 minutes time it’s still positive.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If Leeds keep playing like this for the rest of the season they are getting automatically promoted, 100 %

And we are 2-0 up and if we keep playing the way we have been playing we will be automatically promoted.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If Leeds keep playing like this for the rest of the season they are getting automatically promoted, 100 %

What, spending 45 minutes attacking fruitlessly but conceding two goals? Doesn't sound like a winning formula to me. 😀

• Thanks 1