How Many This Month?

Jez

How many this month?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. How many this month?

• None
    • 4 or more

Nothing unreasonable there Jez. As for the reserves he is not letting out for a long time, one is a leftback and one is a centremid. These are not areas we were rumoured to be strengthening in the first place (apart perhaps from Riise @ LB a while back) so it shouldn't make us think we wont be strengthening in the areas that most agree need it i.e. RB, RW & CF. I would say it is just him not wanting to be any weaker in areas where we, at present, don't need to strengthen as a matter of urgency. Would you say that's fair?

Its not really the positions that are leaving Bri, more his words about injuries.

If we were about to invest in a few players would he be so cautious about injuries? Who knows but thats what i think. He is trying for a few but they are dependent other moves going ahead meaning they could all go tits up. This is obviously just my theory and could be completely wrong!

I've gone for two.

Jermaine Defoe. Looking like Fred will sign from Lyon, making Defoe fith choice. A move away from White Hart Lane is on the cards. We could well have some competition from Newcastle though.

Chimbonda - Been told he can leave Spurs by Ramos, we need a right-back. Think he'd be a good buy, attacking full-back, exactly what we're after.

1 of them will either be a short term deal or a loan. Though it won't be the end of the world if we don't get anybody IMO. Guess I'm unique in thinking that.

Theres no doubt our starting 11 is good enough to beat enough teams to guarantee Europe.

But honestly it will be playing the very riskiest of risky risky games, in terms of injuries/fatigue/loss of form, with our season. If he gets no one in, and we then don't qualify due to injuries or suspensions or the team being ridiculously warn out, I personally will lay the blame at MONs feet.

I am hoping and believing we will get four. I feel we need both fullbacks positions covered. We need cover for Bouma (yes we have Barry but do we really need to lose him from midfield)(Also O'Halloran going to the Saints). We need a RB for when Mellberg does leave, even if he doesn't he needs competition. A RW, and a goalpoachnig forward.

Would be happy with Riise, Chimbonda, Giles, Crouch/Bent/Defoe/Doyle. :)

I'll say 2.

But if those are 2 nobodys then thats different, it'll take time to see if they work out. (No knee jerk reactions)

Likewise if we bought 1 regular first teamer i'd be happy if turned out to be a good buy.

We've got a decent squad as it is, I dont think we'll finish in Europe this season, which isn't a bad thing really and I expect any player bought in will improve the squad ie; fill a gap.

I don't think right-mid is that big a priority if we get a decent attacking right-back.

Petrov does just fine out there. The problem with the right hand side is that Mellberg is a centre-back playing out there. I think he has done a good job & we couldn't ask for more from him. But it does mean that the attacking is done predominately down our left.

In terms of Petrov, people say he is playing out of position, but that's not really the case. In the majority of his Celtic days he was playing behind the front two when MON played with three centre-backs, but then when he switched to 4-4-2, Petrov was on the right.

The best balance for a lot of teams is a MIDFIELDER on one side & a WINGER on the other. I'd argue that David Beckham is more of a midfielder than a winger, & that Ryan Giggs is a winger. When they played with Roy Keane & Paul Scholes it was a perfect balance. Of course, the quality of the players & Beckham's crossing ability made it an exceptional midfield, but you get the point (hopefully)

If you look at the top teams, their full-backs are all very good on the ball. This is because the way the English game is, the full-backs see an awful amount of the ball. If you have good attacking full-backs, then you can have a perfectly good balance without having a 'conventional' wide player, at least on one side anyway.

The Arsenal team that went a season unbeaten, for example, had Robert Pires on the left. But he generally played 20 yards inside, much like Petrov does. Pires had Ashley Cole bombing on past him, Petrov has Mellberg... if we signed Chimbonda, say, then this would be much more effective. With NRC holding, there is pretty much cover if an attack breaks down & the right-back is out of position, and if Petrov is playing slightly inside, it gives the opposition defence more to think about.

But what do I know, it's just my opinion!

i genuinely dont think we are gonna get anyone this window. it seems to me that MON said he wants players, but lately he i saying he HOPES he can get someone in. I just have a horrible feeling that we arent getting anyone. If we do, it will be a back up/youth player.

Went for 3. A little bit of what I hope for and what I think is possible. Don't really what to expect. These 3 IMO should be TB, RM and a striker. Then I'd be happy with this january.

No, I still stand by every word of this.

I'm a bit wary of answering in all honesty as I dont want my answer thrown in my face on February 1st. In addition I dont think it's fair to say 2 or 3 players or I wont be happy as it entirely depends upon the circumstances, who is available, who we have pursued, how uch we have to spend, where the manager needs to strengthen etc etc etc . So I'll just say I'll be happy if the manager's judgement has been backed once more.

Â