Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Stoke

limpid

Match Polls  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/12/18 at 23:59

Very clear to see that we missed Grealish. Nearly all of our attacks came through wide areas and crossing rather than Jack making runs through the middle of the opposition's midfield and defence. It meant that we were more reliant on Hutton and Elmo, and that's never going to work is it, particularly when Stoke were playing for the draw until they got the first goal.

I think if Jack isn't back for the next match, O'Hare needs to come in, or at least someone that can play in the same position.

Edited by KJT123

Just now, AVTuco said:

Why were we more negative than before?

I think we lost impetus in the middle of the park. Grealish just carries the ball with him and there is no-one else who can do that in our team. 
Hourihane, Whelan, Elmo are all going to play safety first and check back losing momentum.

Combine that with the atrocious conditions and Stoke Rugby Football Club managed by the next Englishman going for "dour football of the decade" award. Then you get what we just watched.

8 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Shite performance and fortunate to get a point.  Need to be a lot sharper against Leeds.

Funnily enough, I think we'll be a lot better against Leeds. I mean, stoke are perennial thugs and did what they do. The likes of Leeds, sheff utd and derby will play in a more positive way which in turn will let us play better too.....well, the midfield and strikers anyway 🙄

• Like 1

Bit of huff and puff today, ball didn’t quite stick and final ball was just off. Still like the style of play and the speed with which we’re moving the ball around. Stoke are a horrid team and break up play every which way possible. 

Leeds next and I fancy we’ll get a good result which could see us in the top 6.

am i correct in believing that we are 5th in the form table? (for the last 10 games - aka DS in role)

5 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses, and in that run we have played Swansea, Derby, Boro, WBA, Stoke, Blose & Forest, basically 70% of our games under DS were versus promotion contenders or teams around us.

Not too bad overall :)

FYI the teams above us in the form table (last 10 games) are Norwich, Leeds, Derby & PNE, but i bet none of those have had played the teams we have in that run.

P.S - in the last 7 games we are third in the form table (4 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses), with only Norwich and Leeds above us. (and 6 of those 7 games were versus promotion contenders/teams immediately around us)

Last 7 games our goal difference is 10, which is second only to Norwich with +11, the next best team is only +5 (WBA).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Â