• Bolasie
    • Abraham
    • Elmohamady (Taylor 52)
    • Kodjia (Bolasie 82)
    • Whelan (Freakish 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/18 at 23:59

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Again, I agree with you on the other points - but Rodriguez gets away with three different things here.

Firstly it's a foul on the keeper, the keeper has his hands on the ball and Rodriguez barges into him and fouls him. Now I can understand how the officials don't give that one for a couple of different reasons; firstly it's in a mess of bodies and isn't the easiest to see from behind play and secondly because our keeper's lack of aggression makes it difficult for him to pick up fouls other keepers would because he never looks like he has the confidence to be in control to start with, even when he's got the ball in his hands.

Secondly, he knocks the ball away from the keeper with his hand, it's his hand that makes contact with the ball and knocks it out of Nyland's grasp. This is the one where you might get a ball to hand claim - he wasn't trying to knock the ball clear with his hand, he was just trying to foul the keeper in the hope he could get him to drop it. 

Thirdly, when the ball is on the ground and he's on the ground, he thinks it's going wide or losing momentum or both and steers it into the goal with his right hand - that's a clear and obvious deliberate handball - the linesman should be spotting that. The referee should really be spotting that. It's poor from the officials.

Ultimately it's one incident in a whole lot of incidents in a really good game between two really good sides - the result could have been decided in a whole host of other ways and we've missed opportunities to take that incident out of the picture - what's frustrating is that when you miss chances, or when your opposition beat you with good play, you can accept it, it's your own responsibility and your own failing - we could and should have scored more - Abraham will be frustrated, but for the team the frustration will be that responsibility for the final result was taken out of their hands by the officials.

I think that's a shame given that I thought it was a really good game, one where Albion were dangerous throughout and dominant for a period after half time but one we probably deserved on the balance of play. I'm not massively upset by the result, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching us play and I think the season promises a whole lot. You never know, maybe the magical lie about these things balancing themselves out will come true for us. I think this season, if we can keep players fit, we might be good enough for it not to matter.

those first 3 paragraphs is how I saw it.

Nyland was clearly clattered and as you say, bit of his own fault.....but I have seen play stopped for that as aggressive play, even without the hand ball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He did not feel that badly about it or he could simply have said to the referee that he handled it.

Too much to expect.

it is....but while it is hard to call him a cheat ,directly.....but its condoning cheating or aiding and abetting.

i have seen goals been struck off for us, like that ,in the past....as aggressive play, I think he had the intention to clatter...its not gentlemanly conduct.

Whether the ref seen the hand ball or not, he should have blew IMO......There is challenging and challenging, that was clumsy and aggressive.

I think he set out to take the goalkeeper out and roll the dice....and the braver man won, it paid off, (there really was nothing to lose and no time for technical play left)......much like Geoff Horsfield would do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Here we go people. Just to compound the incompetence:

Jesus Christ. That clown referee was looking right at it. There's no point is speculating whether the dead badger munger lino was looking in that direction, the skin-thief wouldn't have seen it.

Still cannot get over that decision. Absolute shocking. Nyland yet again fumbling at it, but we should have been at least 4 up by that point. As a whole, I thought we were fantastic. So much joy watching this team at the minute. Just can’t wait until we next play. Play offs here we come. 

We could, or indeed should, have converted more of our chances than we did, BUT the challenge on the keeper for the last ditch eqialiser is a blatant foul.

Yes, you can say the keeper was weak, but by the letter of the law any contact after the keeper has both hands on it is a foul, plain and simple, even without the obvious hand ball.

I really hope villa formally complain about the incident and rodriguez is pinished with the 1 match ban for the red card he should have been given for deliberate hand ball. There was clear unnatural movement towards the ball on two separate occassions.

That aside, i think a number of villa players were poor today.  Overall, we were bang average, but still good value for a win which would have put us 6th.  

I am starting to think our bad start has put autos beyond us, leeds and norwich are too far ahead already i think

Nyland - 6 - think he played ok, dont agree that he is in anyway at fault for their 2nd as its a foul and 2 hand balls

Hutton - 5 - thought he was below par today

Taylor - 5 - looks like a rabbit in headlights most of the time. Poor again today and urgently needs replacing.

Chester - 6 - ok, nothing special and no major errors

Tuanzebe - 6 - see chester

Hourihane - 5 - some say he keeps us ticking, but i just dont see it. Most of the times i recall seeing him he was either misplacing passes or watching an opponent run 0ast him. Poor for me

McGinn - 6 - well below his usual level but still ok

Grealish - 6 - hopefully his injury isntbad. He was also way below his usual standard.

Bolasie - 4 - i thought he was poor, predictable and wasteful

El Ghazi. - 9 - continued his improvement under ds and is looking a class act at this level.

Tammy - 4 - very very wasteful i would like us to either start trying hogan more often or to sign another goalscorer to compete with him, as right now if he isnt on form i dont think we have another good enough to fill his shoes

It's easy to blame the linesman when you can watch it from behind the goal in slow-mo time after time.The angle was very difficult for the linesman.

It was bad luck for us in that respect, and the collision was very well executed by Rodriguez. They knew Nyland is weak in crosses and took advantage of it.

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

It's easy to blame the linesman when you can watch it from behind the goal in slow-mo time after time.The angle was very difficult for the linesman.

It was bad luck for us in that respect, and the collision was very well executed by Rodriguez. They knew Nyland is weak in crosses and took advantage of it.

You have just taken the words out of my mouth.....They knew exactly what they was doing.

That was a training ground conflab.

The pre-requisite for a goalkeeper is Bravery, they knew we had a weakness there and it was the last roll of the dice.

We need a new Keeper, one who is imposing and would not succumb to that kind of bullying.

Sadly, words get around and it looks like they have his card marked in this league.

22 hours ago, TRO said:

I just think we had to work harder for our goals than they did for theirs.....but yes, I agree a tad below our normal stuff.

happy....of course Derby, Boro & Albion away ...7 points.

but it still feels like a defeat.

Exactly this 7 points from 9 at places where many teams will come away empty handed....

We can dissect the game over and over....the key things for me are...

1) we are a team on the up, have momentum 

2) not many teams will fancy playing us right now

3) we will clearly strengthen the team/squad in January....and i dont think we will have any problems attracting the right players

Once again i have seen in a game a lot more positives than negatives.....

Whilst i'm disappointed with the result, overall i am happy with the way things are going

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

You have just taken the words out of my mouth.....They knew exactly what they was doing.

That was a training ground conflab.

The pre-requisite for a goalkeeper is Bravery, they knew we had a weakness there and it was the last roll of the dice.

We need a new Keeper, one who is imposing and would not succumb to that kind of bullying.

Sadly, words get around and it looks like they have his card marked in this league.

Ah TRO while we're on the subject of training ground conflab....after watching us for 6 weeks under Dean now are you happy to say our training ground methods under Steve Bruce were nowhere near good enough rather than the players not being good enough to implement the quick passing and pressing style?

We had plenty of good debates over that last season and start of this and well to me the difference is night and day.

Yes Nyland is a liability but we can still win games inspite of him as we showed v Derby, Boro and SHA. New keeper will come in on loan in January anyway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Nyland - 6 - think he played ok, dont agree that he is in anyway at fault for their 2nd as its a foul and 2 hand balls

Hutton - 5 - thought he was below par today

Taylor - 5 - looks like a rabbit in headlights most of the time. Poor again today and urgently needs replacing.

Chester - 6 - ok, nothing special and no major errors

Tuanzebe - 6 - see chester

Hourihane - 5 - some say he keeps us ticking, but i just dont see it. Most of the times i recall seeing him he was either misplacing passes or watching an opponent run 0ast him. Poor for me

McGinn - 6 - well below his usual level but still ok

Grealish - 6 - hopefully his injury isntbad. He was also way below his usual standard.

Bolasie - 4 - i thought he was poor, predictable and wasteful

El Ghazi. - 9 - continued his improvement under ds and is looking a class act at this level.

Tammy - 4 - very very wasteful i would like us to either start trying hogan more often or to sign another goalscorer to compete with him, as right now if he isnt on form i dont think we have another good enough to fill his shoes

These ratings are extremely harsh!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Kodija was a disgrace for that goal. He stands there watching Philips and it only seems to register in his mind that he needs to get back when Philips was about to cross the ball.

He just blew his chance for a start on Saturday.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ah TRO while we're on the subject of training ground conflab....after watching us for 6 weeks under Dean now are you happy to say our training ground methods under Steve Bruce were nowhere near good enough rather than the players not being good enough to implement the quick passing and pressing style?

We had plenty of good debates over that last season and start of this and well to me the difference is night and day.

Yes Nyland is a liability but we can still win games inspite of him as we showed v Derby, Boro and SHA. New keeper will come in on loan in January anyway.

You will probably glean from some earlier posts that yes, i stand corrected.

I am blown away with what Dean has done so far.

I did say during Steve Bruces stewardship that i had no idea what was exactly going on at BMH suffice to say, i seen the same errors week in week out.I had my suspicions, but thats all they were.

without getting in to an ungrateful debate, i still see defensive errors too, in some of our games.

I love Dean Smiths approach and I will be keen to support him during any dark days or reversals.....but i still feel compelled to point out deficiencies, if i see them.

Blues, Forest and Albion.....we showed some poor goals, against....that will be difficult to catch the top 2 if we continue give away soft goals that in the main emanate from not tracking back....not exactly Rocket Science more to do with positioning and a tenacity of mind to recover and not leave it to team mates.

For sure the 2 clean sheets against Derby and Boro...were magnificent.

If we can be mean at the back allied to our fluid offensive style, we will have cracked it.

We have c20 games from Jan 1..... i just hope we can bring in the right re-inforcements.

I think Dean has worked wonders in such a short space of time and despite my comments are a match for any team in the league......I'm just looking to win every game, which i know is perfection.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

You will probably glean from some earlier posts that yes, i stand corrected.

I am blown away with what Dean has done so far.

I did say during Steve Bruces stewardship that i had no idea what was exactly going on at BMH suffice to say, i seen the same errors week in week out.I had my suspicions, but thats all they were.

without getting in to an ungrateful debate, i still see defensive errors too, in some of our games.

I love Dean Smiths approach and I will be keen to support him during any dark days or reversals.....but i still feel compelled to point out deficiencies, if i see them.

Blues, Forest and Albion.....we showed some poor goals, against....that will be difficult to catch the top 2 if we continue give away soft goals that in the main emanate from not tracking back....not exactly Rocket Science more to do with positioning and a tenacity of mind to recover and not leave it to team mates.

For sure the 2 clean sheets against Derby and Boro...were magnificent.

If we can be mean at the back allied to our fluid offensive style, we will have cracked it.

We have c20 games from Jan 1..... i just hope we can bring in the right re-inforcements.

I think Dean has worked wonders in such a short space of time and despite my comments are a match for any team in the league......I'm just looking to win every game, which i know is perfection.

The most exciting thing about this team is that is there still large room for improvement. Especially at the back. It can only get better! 

I can’t wait to see Smith in the transfer market.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The most exciting thing about this team is that is there still large room for improvement. Especially at the back. It can only get better! 

I can’t wait to see Smith in the transfer market.  

Do you know what VLV......that is the most exciting thing of all.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2018 at 08:55, KenjiOgiwara said:

Deserved a win here. El Ghazi was superb. Hutton immense. How a player can switch position and make it his own just impresses me endlessly. **** shite refereeing on that handball. Should not be possible. 

Sorry but i disagree, although Hutton played well overall, in the end he was at fault for both goals, was out of position for the long ball for the first, then should have stayed on his feet instead of going down.   For the second he was again caught out of position which allowed their winger to stroll into our box with no other player in sight. And agree with others, keeper is shite and its about damage control till Jan

• Like 1

Â