January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes. But we signed him not borrowed him and we could afford his wages without FFP issues.

So not really the same situation.

Depends how you look at it, there would be no transfer fee involved, £80k/week for 2 years plus subsidised wages for 6 months this year would cost roughly £10m

Whereas the fee rumoured for Makdoudi alone is £10m for a young 20 year old centre back, thats without even adding his wages into the equation..

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Depends how you look at it, there would be no transfer fee involved, £80k/week for 2 years plus subsidised wages for 6 months this year would cost roughly £10m

Whereas the fee rumoured for Makdoudi alone is £10m for a young 20 year old centre back, thats without even adding his wages into the equation..

Both will be out of contract in the summer so the £10m for Makdoudi probably wont be as high in January.

I imagine Cahill will want a hefty signing on bonus should he come here, or anywhere else on a permanent deal.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Both will be out of contract in the summer so the £10m for Makdoudi probably wont be as high in January.

I imagine Cahill will want a hefty signing on bonus should he come here, or anywhere else on a permanent deal.

Yeah but we'd only be signing him on a perm if we went up this year, really dont think a loan for 6 months would break us and if we don't go up then we can look at cheaper options in the summer

Just now, Junxs said:

Yeah but we'd only be signing him on a perm if we went up this year, really dont think a loan for 6 months would break us and if we don't go up then we can look at cheaper options in the summer

Yeah, I agree with that.

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The likes of McGinn? I’m all for it

No, like turning down quality players who could play 6 to 30 months, because there isn’t enough long term in it. 

None of us knows if McGinn actually is Premier League quality. Let’s hope we will fond out, but i’m Not sure he is.

1 hour ago, Silent_Bob said:

No, like turning down quality players who could play 6 to 30 months, because there isn’t enough long term in it. 

None of us knows if McGinn actually is Premier League quality. Let’s hope we will fond out, but i’m Not sure he is.

I think he is, he’s class, already a key player for us and he’s only been at Villa for a few months

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

At this moment in time Trent I think it is the more sensible route to go down given our position, not just in the league but as a club as a whole atleast until we get back to the Premier League.

It would make more sense to do it this way for now and it also puts the club in control of the situation, rather than the situation controlling the club. (Micah Richards)

Yeah it may look like short term thinking but given our situation I think it's the more logical approach for now and that's the hand we have been dealt to play with for now it seems.

So far the loans we have this season have worked out fine thus far (except GK) and whilst we are loaning we are also slowly recovering whilst rebuilding, again not just as a team but as a club from top to bottom.

I think the main rebuilding process will be able to properly get underway once we return to the Premier League and are in a more lucrative position if you will to really go for it and build something.

Gary Cahill on loan would be a good option right now imo and a sensible approach and here's why;

-He will perhaps be on something like £100-120k a week at Chelsea and I would agree we would fit 70-80% of that for wages.

-An ex-villan and has always kept himself tidy on and off the pitch and has gone on to much better things in his career. He has gained a wealth of experience and right now Villa need that inabundance if we are to mount a challenge this season.

- I think the chance to work with JT once again could be an attraction for him and could be a pulling factor that would work in our favour.

-It's a better approach to sign him for 6 months than to take the unsustainable approach of signing him or someone else for the sake of it on a 3 year deal for even more wages and a signing on fee, (for us to return to the Premier League and they're deemed not good enough or whatever and yet we will be stuck with them for the next 2 years collecting a wage, taking up a space in the team and no resale value on them).

Of McKenna, I cannot really comment on him not knowing much about him, but I've read that Rangers and a couple of other clubs have been interested in him, however if he is of highly rated and a decent player then he could be a gem if the wages are right and signed on a long term deal.

As mentioned, our John McGinn and Andy Robertson of Liverpool is another good example of good buys from the SPL and this would be a good example of someone that we could sign on a long term deal as it also equates to a long term build rather than a short term quality stop gap.

Cahill would fit right now. It would be a 6 month deal and that bit of quality we need right now as well as numbers in the defence. All day long.

Once we return to the PL then we will be in a better position for long term-ism and be able to build something properly.

We are in no position right now to be signing players that involve transfer fees, agent fees, signing on fees, and high weekly wages over a long period cause of our FFP recovery.

I would take an 80k pw Cahill for 6 months (£1.6m - £2m approx) than a player on a contract that could cost us well over £30m over the space of 3 years.

We simply cannot afford this approach or gamble right now as it is what led us to the very crap that we have just spent the last 3 years trying to recover from.

Let's continue to build and improve slowly, steadily and astutely rather than stupid, needless and recklessly.

I'm afraid I disagree with the majority of this, I think we have polar opposite views in fact. Such is football.

Cahill or Ampadu on loan from Chelsea and Makoudi on a perminant deal would be a nice start to resolving the CB issue.

Bring in a better goalkeeper whilst the LB position still needs to be addressed as Taylor just does not cut it for me.

I think we may be okay in the other positions having El Ghazi, Bolasie, Adomah, Abraham, McGinn, Grealish, Kodja, Hogan, Davis as a stong attacking force. Also ideally sign Bradley Dack from Blackburn and that could be quite a domineering team.

If we can also offload maybe 2 or 3 more players that would be ideal and free up a few quid.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I think spending £10m loaning Cahill would be madness.

I agree it would be.

I would have Cahill for maximum 6 months on a loan deal paying 70/80% of his wages. Nothing more, nothing less.

In this we would be borrowing valuble experience for a player dropping to this level, even if he is 32, he would be solid in our back line in this league and would only cost us roughly £1.5/£2m in wages. You just cannot get a better deal than that and I feel it suits all parties.

I recall only 2 months ago many folk wanted to sign a 37yr old John Terry.

So for the price of loaning Cahill, in effect a short term sticking plaster, we could likely get in McKenna and Makoudi, with both having contracts expiring at the end of the season.

Take the emotion out of it and it’s a no brainer.  Two ball playing centre halves of the right age all day long for me!

• Like 4

Are the people that identified Mokoudi and McKenna still at the club? Just because we were interested in these 2 in the summer doesn't  necessarily mean we still are given the whole set-up has changed. 

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree it would be.

I would have Cahill for maximum 6 months on a loan deal paying 70/80% of his wages. Nothing more, nothing less.

In this we would be borrowing valuble experience for a player dropping to this level, even if he is 32, he would be solid in our back line in this league and would only cost us roughly £1.5/£2m in wages. You just cannot get a better deal than that and I feel it suits all parties.

I recall only 2 months ago many folk wanted to sign a 37yr old John Terry.

If we do this in January I will officially give up with Aston Villa Football Club.

There is absolutely no way we should be paying 70/80% of Gary Cahill's wages, the blokes on almost £100,000 a week at Chelsea.

At centre back we need to stop relying on loaning players in and get some young, good players signed to the club. A loan just papers over the cracks and we will be in the same mess again in the summer. You can pick up good players at this standard for 3-4 million, just look at McGinn & Hourihane.

I'm hoping that the new Villa board and coaching staff are in the same mind regarding this, we need young, hungry players at this club and relenquish the old peoples home nature that has swamped the club over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

No, not really. Its nothing like when we signed McGrath which was the original point.

As for the above, I think spending £10m loaning Cahill would be madness.

£10m to loan Cahill?? where did you get that from?

22 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

If we do this in January I will officially give up with Aston Villa Football Club.

That's a bit dramatic!

I was only suggesting this in the mindset that we are still keeping one eye one FFP?

So loans are our only option if we are talking signing players that could add something to the party.

As I have already stated in a few posts previous, if a quality CB for £4/5m can be found then I would also take that option.

It's okay saying papering over the cracks but it's not always easy to buy in January.

If it came to it then I would sooner we papered over the crack for 6 months rather than leaving it totally bare as we find ourselves at today. 1 fit CB - and he's not even ours!

Don't rule out loans too much. They have been vital to us so far.

4 hours ago, av1 said:

Are the people that identified Mokoudi and McKenna still at the club? Just because we were interested in these 2 in the summer doesn't  necessarily mean we still are given the whole set-up has changed. 

They don't have to be at the club still, i'm sure the reports will be there, and they will probably still be on the radar.

I don't think our problem was ever identifying targets, it was COACHING and integrating them into a mutually beneficial system!

• Like 1

I want to sign a defender instead of going down the loan route. It's better we sign a defender who can form a propper long term partnership.

For such a vital position I can't believe anyone would have any other view!

29 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I want to sign a defender instead of going down the loan route. It's better we sign a defender who can form a propper long term partnership.

For such a vital position I can't believe anyone would have any other view!

Problem is we are in the Championship.

Are we looking for someone of Championship quality, and if so do we need to buy another one to replace him in the summer if we go up?

Can we afford (or attract) someone who is PL quality and can be built around for years to come? Do we have the scouting set up to this yet?

It's not easy. IMO the worst we can do is once again spend big on a Championship quality player who will at best make us slightly better.

Our current CB pairing, while temporary is working for now. £10m or so to put Alex or Chester on the bench would be folly when we have more pressing issues.

we need cover, badly. But it's a difficult time to buy players in January, especially when not knowing what league we will be playing in next season.

Moukdoudi is out of contract in the summer so he'd be worth a try in Jan IMO.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1