Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The whole game seemed slow and laboured, an it was Liverpool who were running it, even though they were shite. If we could have played a bit quicker like we did when we did them 7, we would have at least controlled the game, but it was all slow motion which is why Liverpool got there deserved.

I said before without Martinez we would be bottom half anyway. I would say more than 50% of our progress has come from Martinez saving the day, take a look at his stats, our opposition shots on goal are up there with the crap. Burnley, Sheffield, Newcastle, West Brom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

agreed, I think that might be the reasoning behind not having more youth players as 1st team subs

Doesn't have to more. Maybe just a different one. Right now Ramsey isn't making a positive impact - is there really no one at a comparable level to step on the pitch for 10 minutes

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

The whole game seemed slow and laboured, an it was Liverpool who were running it, even though they were shite. If we could have played a bit quicker like we did when we did them 7, we would have at least controlled the game, but it was all slow motion which is why Liverpool got there deserved.

I said before without Martinez we would be bottom half anyway. I would say more than 50% of our progress has come from Martinez saving the day, take a look at his stats, our opposition shots on goal are up there with the crap. Burnley, Sheffield, Newcastle, West Brom. 

Agreed. A couple saves got us to HT 0-1. Be in major trouble without him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

See I disagree -Last week aside I would Bring Davis on to see a game out. It helps us keep the ball out of harms way.

Ramsey coming on to play right wing was the right decision, Davis comes on and Liverpool push Robertson up

And it wad a decision only made because of injury 

With Robertson and TAA on the pitch we had to stay with 2 wide men and IMO Ramsey did well with Robertson

20 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Ramsey is much quicker than Davis and can close down space better. If we were losing the game I'd fully expect KD to have come on.

Yeah Ramsey was completely the right sub considering we only had two centrally in midfield and were protecting 1-1.

Think AEG instead of Davis was the odd choice today particularly how bad El Ghazi was last week and can't really remember him touching the ball for the twenty minutes he was on.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Doesn't have to more. Maybe just a different one. Right now Ramsey isn't making a positive impact - is there really no one at a comparable level to step on the pitch for 10 minutes

I agree, I'd like to see more of the youth as well. 

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

We aren't going down - we aren't going to get Europe - Im not talking about starting half a dozen of them - just if Ramsey has has his few minutes and not really produced, why not give someone else a few minutes ?  - why keep throwing Ramsey on when he isn't delivering ?

Sure decisions for the coaching staff as you say. Smiths subs didn't work today.Perfectly reasonable they are questioned. 

But that's how Ramsay will develop, keep getting minutes here and there. 

I'm sure with this current crop they will be in soon. A few of them have signed their first pro deals, they wouldn't do that if they didn't see a path to the first team. 

I love a young prodigy playing as much as anyone, but I'm just happy to trust the coaching staff and those in charge of the academy. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

*checks table*. 10th. Huge strides taken in last 2 and a bit years. 

We're still a massive work in progress. Looking forward to a summer of more signings and seeing where Smith can take us next season. 

Needs to be better than this though, give away so many points this season on more than winnable games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

*checks table*. 10th. Huge strides taken in last 2 and a bit years. 

We're still a massive work in progress. Looking forward to a summer of more signings and seeing where Smith can take us next season. 

No other team has progressed as much as us, these last 3 seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

People seem to be desperate to create two groups of fans, those pro Dean Smith and those anti Dean Smith. Unfortunately some in the 'pro group' want to create this division and denounce anyone who says anything against Dean's decision making, subs, tactics etc..

Regardless of that, the truth is the majority of fans sit in the fairly balanced middle ground where people are both grateful and respectful of what Dean has done for the club but also worried about the huge drop off in form and results.

It's not binary, or black and white, there are a lot of shades of grey.

I personally don't want to see him sacked, I have a lot of time and belief in him, but I am not going to lie and say that recent poor form and results doesn't have me worried. I genuinely can't see us getting many points in our final run of games.

terrence howard raise drink GIF by Empire FOX

• Like 1

My stance on Dean Smith is that (even if we lose every remaining game) we've made good overall progress this season and he deserves to be backed heavily in the transfer window.

It's fine to have a downturn in results, particularly if that coincides with your best player being injured, so I'm pretty chilled about our current run of form. He deserves to be evaluated in the context of the whole season rather than just the last few months, as we'd probably be delighted if the sequence of our results was reversed. I'm not going to turn on him because we've only made good progress instead of the amazing progress it looked like we'd made at the start of the season.

I don't think there'll be anywhere to hide next season though. I can see him being replaced if we're not in the conversation for Europe at Christmas, and I could also see him getting the sack if we don't finish in the top eight at the end of next season,  as if the owners invest heavily they'll want (and deserve) continual improvement. I don't think Dean currently has the tools at his disposal to deliver the Top 8 no matter what he did, but I don't think he'll have that excuse next season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Needs to be better than this though, give away so many points this season on more than winnable games.

He's not immune from criticism I agree, but looking at the job he has done overall, he is well into the positive column. 

If we invest heavily this summer and don't get any better, then sure, questions will be asked then. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

People seem to be desperate to create two groups of fans, those pro Dean Smith and those anti Dean Smith. Unfortunately some in the 'pro group' want to create this division and denounce anyone who says anything against Dean's decision making, subs, tactics etc..

Regardless of that, the truth is the majority of fans sit in the fairly balanced middle ground where people are both grateful and respectful of what Dean has done for the club but also worried about the huge drop off in form and results.

It's not binary, or black and white, there are a lot of shades of grey.

I personally don't want to see him sacked, I have a lot of time and belief in him, but I am not going to lie and say that recent poor form and results doesn't have me worried. I genuinely can't see us getting many points in our final run of games.

I think that's rubbish.

Unfortunately last season there was a massive shout for him to be sacked. This thread was full of people calling for it. And some of those same posters jump on every little thing or complain about everything. 

People asking valid questions don't get jumped on by anyone being defensive 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think that's rubbish.

Unfortunately last season there was a massive shout for him to be sacked. This thread was full of people calling for it. And some of those same posters jump on every little thing or complain about everything. 

Aren't you jumping on what i said and being defensive?

Also I never mentioned last season, I am talking about here and now. You are pretty much make my point for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think that's rubbish.

Only if you think they are valid though yeah?

Â