Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but according to afew posters because ramsey hasnt done well  the rest wouldnt which is ridiculous.

If ramsey is thw best we have god help us as none of them will make it. I dont believe for a second there isnt better prospects in the academy 

None of the others are ready *now*. Who knows about the future.

• Like 1

What will Barkley and El Ghazi do? I don’t mind Ramsey coming, but we needed Davis. Watkins has his best game bullying their defence, what would Davis have done to them?

Now watch Smith starting Davis in a hopeless game against City and judge him on that. 

BTW most teans that plays two striker are defensive teams rather than attacking, so it’s not a real risk.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's a more reasonable post. We do have some reasonable youth team prospects, but none who are as ready as Ramsey is and none that we could expect to come in and make an impact at this stage.

They will need time, just as Ramsey does. Which is not a guarantee that any of them - including Ramsey - will prove long-term good enough to forge a PL career, just as Gardner, Baker, Weimann etc also proved unable to maintain a career at this level. Not many players make it!

A lot of those players though made an impact.....at first but were unable to sustain it, thats the normal scenario. A player stepping up to the first 11 making little impact but cutting it over a longer period of time is very rare - I can really only think of Dwight York, Ugo, Tony Dorigo who started slowly but then came good.

But if JR isn't cutting it - I can't believe there isn't anyone else in the u23's not worthy of 10-12 minutes here and there ? 

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but according to afew posters because ramsey hasnt done well  the rest wouldnt which is ridiculous.

If ramsey is thw best we have god help us as none of them will make it. I dont believe for a second there isnt better prospects in the academy 

Agreed. 

20 minutes ago, supermon said:

So you don't mind that we can't string a few passes together, you don't mind we constantly pass to the opposition. I'm not asking for a lot, these are basics. I didn't mean I'm expecting swathes of possession but is it nigh on impossible to expect the basics?

I do mind but this is a defensive team set up because its a very tough game. Nakamba, Trez both added to the line up, not good on the ball but very good defensively. McGinn isn't good on the ball either,  I wasn't expecting anything decent today, We need to get better ball players in, Sanson is the type we will be going for. We are progressing but the squad depth is an issue.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

No point reading these forums today, just going to get angry. If you think not starting Keinan Davis cost us 3 points against Liverpool, you're beyond help.

I don't think a single person has claimed this.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed. 

Do you not trust everyone involved to bring kids into the first team when ready? We must have so many coaches and technical directors looking after this, but we should just throw them in because a few fans think they'd be fine. 

I'm happy go let the club look after the development of our youth team. 

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I do mind but this is a defensive team set up because its a very tough game. Nakamba, Trez both added to the line up, not good on the ball but very good defensively. McGinn isn't good on the ball either,  I wasn't expecting anything decent today, We need to get better ball players in, Sanson is the type we will be going for. We are progressing but the squad depth is an issue.

Please god no. Hes exactly the type we should be avoiding. We need impact players who will take a game by the scruff of the neck. No players who fart about with sideways passes for 80 minutes. If they aren't going to make an impact at first team level we shouldn't be buying them

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

None taken.

• Its a worry if Ramsey is the cream of our youth system.
  • I don't follow the U23's that close - But I was led to believe that we had several decent prospects in there
  • Ramsey hasn't shown much in his game time IMO - at times he has held his own. He hasn't  looked as good as the likes of Gary Gardener, Nathan Baker, etc in there first handful of games

I don't think Ramsey is the "cream of the crop" for our youth system, he is likely just the most physically developed of them that we have promoted to the first team squad. There's a reason we haven't seen the likes of Louie Barry play with the first team - he's not physically at the point where he can hold his own with PL level center backs. Now, would I like to see some of the youth prospects get some experience this year yes.  

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Do you not trust everyone involved to bring kids into the first team when ready? We must have so many coaches and technical directors looking after this, but we should just throw them in because a few fans think they'd be fine. 

I'm happy go let the club look after the development of our youth team. 

What Im saying is if Ramsey is deemed ready - there must be one or two others who can replicate what he done - or at least be given the chance.  

Just now, hippo said:

What Im saying is if Ramsey is deemed ready - there must be one or two others who can replicate what he done - or at least be given the chance.  

Why? 

Our current crop in the u23 are a few years younger than Ramsay. I'm more than happy to let the multiple people involved decide when they're ready for first team football. 

3 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I don't think Ramsey is the "cream of the crop" for our youth system, he is likely just the most physically developed of them that we have promoted to the first team squad. There's a reason we haven't seen the likes of Louie Barry play with the first team - he's not physically at the point where he can hold his own with PL level center backs. Now, would I like to see some of the youth prospects get some experience this year yes.  

We are only talking the odd 10 minutes here and there though.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Watkins to the wing and Davis on to bully their CBs.

Remember with the Ramsey sub he stuck him on the wing. Why not Davis there?

Ramsey is much quicker than Davis and can close down space better. If we were losing the game I'd fully expect KD to have come on.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why? 

Our current crop in the u23 are a few years younger than Ramsay. I'm more than happy to let the multiple people involved decide when they're ready for first team football. 

Fair enough.

We aren't going down - we aren't going to get Europe - Im not talking about starting half a dozen of them - just if Ramsey has has his few minutes and not really produced, why not give someone else a few minutes ?  - why keep throwing Ramsey on when he isn't delivering ?

Sure decisions for the coaching staff as you say. Smiths subs didn't work today.Perfectly reasonable they are questioned. 

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Ramsey is much quicker than Davis and can close down space better. If we were losing the game I'd fully expect KD to have come on.

See I disagree -Last week aside I would Bring Davis on to see a game out. It helps us keep the ball out of harms way.

• Like 1

Â