Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Unlike last week, the subs just didn't make an impact. 

If our players could just stop trying to give the ball back to the opposition team as fast as possible that might help things slightly. 

Just now, mykeyb said:

I get your point but Smith has earned another season for me.

Yes thats my thoughts to. But what if we only win 1 more game between now and the end of the season. ? 

What I don't understand is that in the inverview before the game he said that he wanted to recreate the attacking play he saw in the last 20 minutes against Fulham. 

Well the thing is Dean, that galvanising performance was as a result of Davis.  Yes Trezeguet got 2 goals but it was Davis that created the atmosphere. 

He had 3 chances to recreate that today and failed to take that opportunity. 

Elghazi and Barkley have proved over and over again that they will not come on and improve or change anything. 

Ramsey? well OK fine, but it's not revolutionary is it, it's not going to completely change our play. 

I find it baffling and feel a chance to win was replaced with a final line up almost guaranteed to concede a late winner under pressure. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bose said:

Come on nobody is saying that we would have definitely won or that Davis is some miracle player.
Surely you can see why people question the decision of not using Davis at all after his performance last week?

We were chasing the game at home to a team in the relegation zone so bringing on another forward player is obviously the correct call.  I'm not sure when holding on away to Liverpool it's the right move.  I thought Ollie was by far our best outfield player and shifting him wide I think would have made us worse and easier to play against.  Of course we will never know whether someone pops up with a quality finish like Alexander-Arnold anyway.  My main issue is bringing Barkley on at all, especially before Ramsey.  The two wingers getting injured was annoying as well, as well as Traore's performance in general.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Everyone knows ive been a big critic of smith but i cant agree with sacking him. He has made us a midtable team in his second season so progress has been made.

I do have reservations about whther he can get us to push on to challenge for europe as he looks very limited without grealish. Also he has made some questionable signings like trez, traore, barkley, engels etc.

Why wait till we are 6-10 games into season to make a change. Always been my issue with clubs why not make a change when you are in a position of strength which we would be in the summer.

In truth I’d give him a golden handshake thank him for his service will always be loved but no room for sentiment - I believe there will be better managers available in the summer who could take us next level.

I’d make a bet that he won’t be manager come the final game of the season next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What I don't understand is that in the inverview before the game he said that he wanted to recreate the attacking play he saw in the last 20 minutes against Fulham. 

Well the thing is Dean, that galvanising performance was as a result of Davis.  Yes Trezeguet got 2 goals but it was Davis that created the atmosphere. 

Elghazi and Barkley have proved over and over again that they will not come on and improve or change anything. 

Ramsey? well OK fine, but it's not revolutionary is it, it's not going to completely change our play. 

I find it baffling and feel a chance to win was replaced with a final line up almost guaranteed to concede a late winner under pressure. 

So would you have gone 4-4-2 at Anfield?

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Unlike last week, the subs just didn't make an impact. 

If our players could just stop trying to give the ball back to the opposition team as fast as possible that might help things slightly. 

I don't know whether its our style or something; but none of our central midfielders actually have good passing stats. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

We were chasing the game at home to a team in the relegation zone so bringing on another forward player is obviously the correct call.  I'm not sure when holding on away to Liverpool it's the right move.  I thought Ollie was by far our best outfield player and shifting him wide I think would have made us worse and easier to play against.  Of course we will never know whether someone pops up with a quality finish like Alexander-Arnold anyway.  My main issue is bringing Barkley on at all, especially before Ramsey.  The two wingers getting injured was annoying as well, as well as Traore's performance in general.

They say the best form of defence is attack. 

It's not necessarily about going gung Ho and leaving yourselves exposed but if the ball sticks up front and if the opposition think you can hurt them so are more cautious it can relieve so much pressure on the defence. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I didn't even think we were under that much pressure at the end. We looked nailed on for a point and if anyone was going to get 3 it was us. The goal we conceded was like slow motion - we just semmed to hand it to them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't know whether its our style or something; but none of our central midfielders actually have good passing stats. 

I think they all have the technical ability to pass much better, we just lack composure too often.

Forever grateful for all he has achieved and deserves the highest praise for what he has built so far, how he turned us around and helped save us . He has always handled himself with the utmost dignity and is one of us...

All that said I do get why some question his credentials, his decision making and in game tactical management is suspect and I personally don’t think he can take us much further than he has so far as I don’t see him as an elite level coach who can take us to the next level but a very solid manager. Is that enough for NWSE ?

Im not being reactionary to one result. Im also not saying he should be sacked. But I also don’t understand why some cannot accept that the above POV is also valid and that maybe they will decide that to go up a level a change is required. Take the emotion out of it and if an elite level manager is available and interested in joining us than is it not a least a conversation to be had? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

None taken.

• Its a worry if Ramsey is the cream of our youth system.
  • I don't follow the U23's that close - But I was led to believe that we had several decent prospects in there
  • Ramsey hasn't shown much in his game time IMO - at times he has held his own. He hasn't  looked as good as the likes of Gary Gardener, Nathan Baker, etc in there first handful of games

That's a more reasonable post. We do have some reasonable youth team prospects, but none who are as ready as Ramsey is and none that we could expect to come in and make an impact at this stage.

They will need time, just as Ramsey does. Which is not a guarantee that any of them - including Ramsey - will prove long-term good enough to forge a PL career, just as Gardner, Baker, Weimann etc also proved unable to maintain a career at this level. Not many players make it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

So would you have gone 4-4-2 at Anfield?

I would have played Watkins and Davis, not sure it would be a strict 442 though. 

I'd have more time for the notion that he emphatically isn't "the man to take us forward" if he had the means to realistically be expected to do so. Rough estimate but each week we have a match day squad that includes 4-5 starters and more or less an entire bench worth of players that this forum doesn't believe to be up to the standard of a team that should challenge for Europe. So I'm not sure it's entirely fair to make those statements with such certainty when if anything that we're where we are is a credit to him considering the overall quality at his disposal relative to the teams we'd have to overtake.

More than happy to see where a few more quality additions can get us. There's real potential in this side but it's become more than apparent that we're still a work in progress.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Why wait till we are 6-10 games into season to make a change. Always been my issue with clubs why not make a change when you are in a position of strength which we would be in the summer.

In truth I’d give him a golden handshake thank him for his service will always be loved but no room for sentiment - I believe there will be better managers available in the summer who could take us next level.

I’d make a bet that he won’t be manager come the final game of the season next year.

I think he will....but that will be the point where the owners come to a big decision I think as not convinced we'll be that close to 6th next season.

Didn't Wes Edens sack a coach who was doing steady DS type job for his baseball team so does show a ruthless streak although no idea if that change has paid off in the long run as don't follow it.

We want a manager who in next 2-3 years will crack the top 6, just not convinced DS quite has that in his locker in long run but he's done a fantastic job so far and easy to forget that when we lose a game.

Without doubt I think this summer is really crucial period and could well shape our next 5 years for better or worse with what we bring in.

Hate bringing them up again but Leeds looking good to finish top 10 and they're talking about getting in Rodrigo De Paul who will fit very well into their system so that's a good example of club on the up looking to further improve their first 11, we need to do that aswell.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

None taken.

• Its a worry if Ramsey is the cream of our youth system.
  • I don't follow the U23's that close - But I was led to believe that we had several decent prospects in there
  • Ramsey hasn't shown much in his game time IMO - at times he has held his own. He hasn't  looked as good as the likes of Gary Gardener, Nathan Baker, etc in there first handful of games

Yeah but according to afew posters because ramsey hasnt done well  the rest wouldnt which is ridiculous.

If ramsey is thw best we have god help us as none of them will make it. I dont believe for a second there isnt better prospects in the academy 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think he hoped Barkley would step up in a big time moment. But those days look like they've gone 

Look through these and you can just about see them. 

thumb_binoculars-golf-cart-gps-pace-of-p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I'd have more time for the notion that he emphatically isn't "the man to take us forward" if he had the means to realistically be expected to do so. Rough estimate but each week we have a match day squad that includes 4-5 starters and more or less an entire bench worth of players that this forum doesn't believe to be up to the standard of a team that should challenge for Europe. So I'm not sure it's entirely fair to make those statements with such certainty when if anything that we're where we are is a credit to him considering the overall quality at his disposal relative to the teams we'd have to overtake.

More than happy to see where a few more quality additions can get us. There's real potential in this side but it's become more than apparent that we're still a work in progress.

He's done everything asked of him and more. And achieved, realistically what could be expected. 

So why can't he do more with better players? Has done enough to continue trying to build the club. 

I just think he's not football hipster cool enough for some. I also think if he was sacked in the summer, it would upset a lot of first team players. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would have played Watkins and Davis, not sure it would be a strict 442 though. 

That's the thing, it's actually quite tough to get them in the same team.  If you don't go 4-4-2 and stick Ollie wide then you lose the qualities he gave us today and we would probably have been worse.  I don't think Davis has ever played wide.  Could go for a diamond in midfield but Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are class going forward.

Â