Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

No, were miles behind Leeds in the Championship when Dean took over

But we got promoted ahead of them.

They seem to be as good as us in their 1st season. Can they maintain that next season? Not sure yet. 

But leeds have done rsally good business.

I think or midfield business has been pretty shit.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

But we got promoted ahead of them.

They seem to be as good as us in their 1st season. Can they maintain that next season? Not sure yet. 

But leeds have done rsally good business.

I think or midfield business has been pretty shit.

well i do on our midfield bit, its the biggest issue we have more than the wide players

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Leeds have and this is their 1st season in premier league

Leeds were way ahead of us at the time in the Championship. We got promoted first and then had to assemble a pretty much new squad. 

Don't get me wrong, Leeds have done great though, but they never had to do a rebuild. Similar to Sheff Utd last year, they have carried on the momentum of promotion. We couldn't do that as we had to buy a new team, that needed time to gel. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I would say more than 50% of our progress has come from Martinez saving the day. 

He's done well to get us up from the Championship there's no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zatman said:

well i do on our midfield bit, its the biggest issue we have more than the wide players

What we agree on something?😉

I think we have done well with keeper and most of the defence. Ollies been a good signing

But the biggest concern for me is the midfield. Sanson too early.

Aeg traore and trez has been far too inconsistent for my liking.

I like nakamba for 12m i dont think he has been bad for the price.

Barkley has been rubbish since his injury so im glad thats a loan at least 

Think we big questiona over SJM in the summer whther we need ro be looking for a better player to compete with him.

8 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Aren't you jumping on what i said and being defensive?

Also I never mentioned last season, I am talking about here and now. You are pretty much make my point for me.

Well last season is the reason some of those same negative posters get jumped on. Because they've done nothing but moan about Smith from day 1. 

If you criticise pretty much everything he's done or create these wild expectations, it's no doubt some defend the manager. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Leeds were way ahead of us at the time in the Championship. We got promoted first and then had to assemble a pretty much new squad. 

Don't get me wrong, Leeds have done great though, but they never had to do a rebuild. Similar to Sheff Utd last year, they have carried on the momentum of promotion. We couldn't do that as we had to buy a new team, that needed time to gel. 

I think raphina has been a brilliant signing. We missed a trick with that signing

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Only if you think they are valid though yeah?

Haha nope. 

You see lots of posters who don't get any defensive responses. It's pretty obvious the ones who do and ones who don't. 

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

But hopefully not a repeat where he gets to spend £100m or so yet again on players and then it counts for nothing if Jack gets another long term injury and he has no plan B.

Our form since Jack has been injured is relegation form.

We had to fix other areas last summer. This summer will be different. We'll be able to spend big on creative players as a priority.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well last season is the reason some of those same negative posters get jumped on. Because they've done nothing but moan about Smith from day 1. 

If you criticise pretty much everything he's done or create these wild expectations, it's no doubt some defend the manager. 

Any idea who they are?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

We had to fix other areas last summer. This summer will be different. We'll be able to spend big on creative players as a priority.

I hope you're right mate.

Where have you been anyway? Long time no see.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

But hopefully not a repeat where he gets to spend £100m or so yet again on players and then it counts for nothing if Jack gets another long term injury and he has no plan B.

Our form since Jack has been injured is relegation form.

I agree. Any team will miss Jack as he is one of the best players in the league. He's our Messi isn't he?

I'm sure this summer we will be strengthening our creative side. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But this is the problem with this thread. A lot of the criticism comes from these hypothetical scenarios. The idea that what a few wanted to happen would have made all the difference. And then hammer the manager with it.

Davis might have made a difference. He might not. He's hardly got an amazing record as a premier league player. It's Keinan Davis. 

No-one will ever know.  Of course it is, by definition, hypothetical.  However, what I do know, having watched us for the last 10 games or so, is that bringing on El Ghazi and Barkley would not deliver a positive outcome. 

And you are wrong, most of the criticism is not because he doesn't follow my or anybody else's hypothetical scenarios, it is because he doesn't try anything other than what he has repeatedly tried over the past 10 games or so and that is just not getting us anywhere.

As for KD's record, I don't get how anyone who watched the Fulham game could say that KD is not a better option at the minute than most of our front line, Watkins and Jack excluded.  KD, supporting Ollie, certainly made a difference last week! 

I accept that the squad has deficiencies and I don't expect us to qualify for Europe - although I do think we had a chance given our strong start and a more tactically astute manager might have got us there given everyone else's deficiencies this season - but I do want us to at least give it a go.  To do that, at the minute, he has to try something different and he just can't seem to look past his 4-3-3 with ineffective wide players that produces nothing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

No-one will ever know.  Of course it is, by definition, hypothetical.  However, what I do know, having watched us for the last 10 games or so, is that bringing on El Ghazi and Barkley would not deliver a positive outcome. 

And you are wrong, most of the criticism is not because he doesn't follow my or anybody else's hypothetical scenarios, it is because he doesn't try anything other than what he has repeatedly tried over the past 10 games or so and that is just not getting us anywhere.

As for KD's record, I don't get how anyone who watched the Fulham game could say that KD is not a better option at the minute than most of our front line, Watkins and Jack excluded.  KD, supporting Ollie, certainly made a difference last week! 

I accept that the squad has deficiencies and I don't expect us to qualify for Europe - although I do think we had a chance given our strong start and a more tactically astute manager might have got us there given everyone else's deficiencies this season - but I do want us to at least give it a go.  To do that, at the minute, he has to try something different and he just can't seem to look past his 4-3-3 with ineffective wide players that produces nothing.

And this is where you look silly, because you stamp and moan about not getting anywhere, when no club has progressed as much as us since he arrived. 

We improve every season, so I think we are getting somewhere and will continue to do so. And when we stop, then I'm sure he will be replaced 

• Like 1

Improved/or come in and improved the team:
Watkins
Konsa
Martinez
Cash
Grealish (always awesome but he has been on fire this season)
Targett

Gone backwards:
McGinn
Luiz
Trez

Stayed the same (roughly):
Mings (arguably more gaff prone this season)
Nakamba (i like him but we need a better defensive midfielder than him if we are to improve)
El Ghazi (I backed him to stay in the team, but recent games he has been poor)

Not offered much
Traore (Jeckyl and Hyde in player form)
Sanson (yet)
Barkley (despite his good start)
Davis (not had many opportunities)
Ramsey (still has a big future and good to get experience but I don't personally think he should start yet).

I think the gamble on Barkley made sense, it's just a shame it didn't come off. I think we maybe pinned too much hope on Wes returning and should have bought a striker rather than Traore, but it's easy to see why the decisions were taken along with Sanson.

I think overall we invested well in the team, maybe it's unreasonable to expect us to go from a relegation fight to a Top 8 team, but if feels like our form is now as bad as it was in the first half of last season and if that carries on till the end of the season, the owners will have to decide on whether they back Dean with large investment or change direction. I think they will back him regardless of results.

Edited by VillanousOne

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Apologies, I wrongly thought that we could talk about stuff that is said about Dean Smith outside this thread. Thanks for clarifying 

you can talk about what you want, I was clarifying what I was referring to. Happy to clarify.

• Haha 1

Â