Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think Smith trusts Davis and I'm not that bothered. 

I'd have liked Davis to get a run of starts but also, he's done nothing in his villa career to be seen as the saviour he seems to be viewed as now. 

Fair enough. But Barkley for Nkamba made no sense at all - he didn't look tired, wasn't playing to badly - and his replacement had been in very poor form of late. In any shape it was an odd decision - I reckon Smith knows it as well.

1 minute ago, bose said:

Come on nobody is saying that we would have definitely won or that Davis is some miracle player.
Surely you can see why people question the decision of not using Davis at all after his performance last week?

Yes, I've said it myself. 

I think there's a few doing that. 

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Have to question why he thought Barkley was a better option than a player who changed the game when he last came on. Suppose he was hoping Barkley would like the big stage, given he's been dross on every other stage pretty much since the last time we played Liverpool. The experiment has failed, time time end it and focus on our own players that will be here this season. Let's hope City have an off day and we dont get too badly hammered.

Smith, please send Ross back home.

I can see why he thought Barkley was an option, he played well vs them last time and as he is an Evertonian you would think he would have a point to prove

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair enough. But Barkley for Nkamba made no sense at all - he didn't look tired, wasn't playing to badly - and his replacement had been in very poor form of late. In any shape it was an odd decision - I reckon Smith knows it as well.

I think he hoped Barkley would step up in a big time moment. But those days look like they've gone 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd have played Davis today. I agree, I think he could have caused problems. But it's still only Keinan Davis, I can't sit here and say we'd have won and its a terrible decision to leave him on the bench. 

You were saying to me it wasnt the right sub in the match thread!

He would have added more than the lame ramsey and the dreadful barkley.

Cant criticse him for the aeg aub though

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Lot of people blaming one player or another but they keep being picked and they keep making the same mistakes, sorry to say this because I love the bloke but questions have to be asked about the decision making today and why these same players keep making the same mistakes. 

Liverpools defence would have struggled with Watkins AND Davis.

It was was worse because our subs actually had a hand in the liverpool goal.

and why is Ramsey of the fringes of the first 11 - yet some of other youngsters are no where near it ? 

Last 17 games:

5 wins, 4 draws, 8 losses

We have won 1 in the last 6 - and that win was the freak comeback against Fulham!

Average PPG - 1.06

Equated to a full season - 40 points (aka - relegation dogfight form)

We have been very poor for a long time now, we have some very good players, but we also have some glaring holes in the first 11, and i mean seriously glaring holes!

I know we did great for the first 13 games, but we have been very poor now for quite a bit longer than we were good, its quite concerning, this summer is going to be really important.

Without Grealish this squad is bottom end of the table quality, and i mean squad, i accept we have 4-5 very high quality players, but that just shows how poor the rest of the squad is if we can say we do have 4-5 high quality players, how bad must the rest of the squad must be.....

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

and why is Ramsey of the fringes of the first 11 - yet some of other youngsters are no where near it ? 

no offence, but this type of comment is pretty irritating. Ramsey is on the bench because he's the closest to ready of the any of the academy players.

If you're expecting *all our other youth team prospects except Ramsey* to come in and play flawless, mistake-free football from the first time they walk onto the pitch you're obviously setting them up for failure.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He got it wrong today, he got it right last week.

Stating that doesn't make me reactionary. 

I don't think he got it wrong today

Poor players, individual mistakes and injuries 

Back to losing a game it being because some fans have a different opinion on what sub he made

If you think about it, 'no manager is ever good enough' because they all run out of ideas/get sacked/are moved upstairs eventually. Only Fergie bucked the trend for longer than expected and even he retired before getting the push. When you think of it like that, why not go out on a high? It's really just a matter of time.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

no offence, but this type of comment is pretty irritating. Ramsey is on the bench because he's the closest to ready of the any of the academy players.

If you're expecting *all our other youth team prospects except Ramsey* to come in and play flawless, mistake-free football from the first time they walk onto the pitch you're obviously setting them up for failure.

None taken.

• Its a worry if Ramsey is the cream of our youth system.
  • I don't follow the U23's that close - But I was led to believe that we had several decent prospects in there
  • Ramsey hasn't shown much in his game time IMO - at times he has held his own. He hasn't  looked as good as the likes of Gary Gardener, Nathan Baker, etc in there first handful of games

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think he got it wrong today

Poor players, individual mistakes and injuries 

Back to losing a game it being because some fans have a different opinion on what sub he made

You can see the argument though. Nkamba was playing well - and was subbed for a player who has been poor for a number of months now.  A player instrumental in our turn around last week remained on the bench. - Nothings clear cut - but I can see why those decisions are being questioned.

I find Smith frustrating. He makes some odd decisions. He is very rigid with his approach and we do have these long spells of being garbage but I honestly thought we were a bit better today. We could easily have won that game. We didn’t but losing 2-1 at anfield is no disgrace. Let’s see how we get on next week!

• Like 3

Love the guy and has done a brilliant job for us.

Has done his job brilliantly, promotion, safety and progression in 3 seasons.

HOWEVER he is NOT the guy to really kick us on to where we want to be and to fulfil the ambitions of our owners. We should let him go in the summer and really show some intent with a bigger name and sell a project to attract the 3 or 4 quality players that will make us a force.

Jack yet to be determined, but our owners have showed real intent with our proactiveness to lockdown contracts for key players therefore I feel they won’t accept mid table next year nor should they.

1 minute ago, Mark_1989 said:

HOWEVER he is NOT the guy to really kick us on to where we want to be and to fulfil the ambitions of our owners. We should let him go in the summer and really show some intent with a bigger name and sell a project to attract the 3 or 4 quality players that will make us a force.

Jack yet to be determined, but our owners have showed real intent with our proactiveness to lockdown contracts for key players therefore I feel they won’t accept mid table next year nor should they.

I get your point but Smith has earned another season for me.

In his defence Smith has quite looked like he has peaked. Then he seems to learn and surprise us.

Everyone knows ive been a big critic of smith but i cant agree with sacking him. He has made us a midtable team in his second season so progress has been made.

I do have reservations about whther he can get us to push on to challenge for europe as he looks very limited without grealish. Also he has made some questionable signings like trez, traore, barkley, engels etc.

• Like 1

Â