Dean Smith

Demitri_C

50 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This happens like 90% of the time when a vastly superior side plays an inferior one. It's a gulf in quality, you're reading into it more than that. Not a single team managed to beat Liverpool or even keep a clean sheet at Anfield for almost 3 years, including much better teams than us such as, I don't know the team with the record for most points in a single season etc. I'd be astonished if there was something fundamentally amiss with every one of those, what, 30 teams?

The performance wasn't a disaster, but the result was inevitable when the 3 musketeers came on.....we have just drifted in to a losing mentality.

The thing is Southampton with not much to play for just defeated a more in form Man City.....no doubt you will roll out the excuses for that.....what a turn around from an earlier season 9-0 drubbing.....thats what a fighting spirit is.

Its the mentality, i am getting at, not the just the lack of talent.

We sign second and third choice players and get second rate results, its more than just the team or the manager.

Edited by TRO

Just now, VillaCas said:

They said as much? That they were happy that we lost 2-0? 

Yep, said they thought it would be more, so pleased.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

No not a free pass but I think the real failures have been the definite Suso signings. Wesley, Trez, Nakamba, Samatta. I think some will accuse him of being guilty of being naive in accepting them but given he agreed to work within a structure and will have little form info to work from I’ve some sympathy

If Smith had been solely responsible then I believe Phillips, Beneama and Maupay May well be here now and we would be much better off 

Whatever, We need to be far far better during this summers recruitment

No managers get everything they want. It isn't an easy market. You need to make due with what you have.

You can lose because of a lack of quality. But what is not acceptable is being outfought. Players heads dropping every time we concede a goal. Not being able to defend a basic thing like corners.

It isn't just a quality problem, it's a mentality problem. We are soft. Too easy to bully. The players mirror the manager.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

Kind of result where people look at it and think that it's not so bad could have been worse, then Liverpool go and lose a couple of games then people look back on the result and think maybe t was a bad result after all, and a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Kind of result where people look at it and think that it's not so bad could have been worse, then Liverpool go and lose a couple of games then people look back on the result and think maybe t was a bad result after all, and a missed opportunity.

Far less one sided that man city Soton, which they lost. We need to score. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

I agree. The frustrating thing was Liverpool weren't even coming at us full pelt. It was casual. If they were at like they are most of the time, would of been messy for us. All that...and we still couldn't be a bit braver on the ball.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Very much doubt they'd lose a couple games in a row, especially at Anfield. That hasn't happened since Kodjia was banging in 20 goals for us.

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I thought our mindset, team spirit and application were extremely good today

Of course they are gonna fight now. They don't wanna get relegated. 5 games left now.

Where has this fight been all season? They left it far too late.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be the greatest suprise now they've got nothing to play for. And it would be the first time we've got a result that people have looked at as a positive one then that team that we go the result against as gone on a bad run of form and we've thought maybe it wasn't such a great result after all. The Sheffield United draw being a recent example of that.

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Does that mean then he gets a free pass when it comes to recruitment ? He gave the green light ( Purslow told us the final decision lies with Smith ) to sign these players. I definetely think hes been sold short by a deplorable sporting director who should without doubt be sacked but what worries me, especially going forward if we stick with Smith, is it's apparent he wanted this job so so bad and was willing to maybe be dictated to a little, his assistant manager picked for him ( just bizzare ) and an i pick one you pick one transfer policy relationship with the sporting director. I don't think Dean is strong enough to say " No sorry, im not having that "

I agree with a lot of this. Dean has had a very tough job to do, no doubt about it. We all know we had a huge amount of changes to make in the summer and I don’t think he had the best of help in doing that. Whether or not he had the final say, who knows if that was genuine or just for public consumption. Either way he doesn’t appear to have been strong enough to square up to Purslow/the board and say no this isn’t the right football decision. 

The Villa manager’s job has eaten up a lot more experience men than Dean Smith. The romantic in me desperately wants him to succeed and I still cling to the hope that we somehow fall over the safety line. However my head tells me that at the very least he isn’t experienced enough and at the moment anyway there’s not conclusive evidence that he is a good enough manager at this level. 

I feel that if we do stay up then that is the time that the board really need to appoint the best manager that we can get. I’m grateful to Dean for what he has achieved in getting us up and would be even more grateful if he pulled off a great escape. However for me we need to be ruthless, because that’s how successful clubs behave. Pay off his contract, shake his hand, he’ll always be welcome at Villa Park of course and if we stay up he can leave with a smile. Either way he can hold his head high. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

I thought our mindset, team spirit and application were extremely good today

I am not talking about, just today.

Liverpool was in post title mode until they brought on 3 subs to remind them how they got there.

It wasn't one of our worst days, but we still lost.

We must understand, losing so regularly has no future for our club....and we have managed to do this against much lower clubs too.....there is not much disparity, its us thats not right, despite valiant efforts today.......Heskey and Souness was doing some explaining on Sky, does anyone listen?

Man Utd will be another inevitable defeat.....its all so depressingly predictable.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Man Utd will be another inevitable defeat.....its all so depressingly predictable.

Very true Tro. We are far too easy to predict. Looking back at previous relegation battles the teams down there spring surprise results.

Can anyone honestly say we look remotely capable of that, especially as we have failed to do so all season. I honestly don’t think we’ll pick up more than 3 points between now and the end of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim said:

Very true Tro. We are far too easy to predict. Looking back at previous relegation battles the teams down there spring surprise results.

Can anyone honestly say we look remotely capable of that, especially as we have failed to do so all season. I honestly don’t think we’ll pick up more than 3 points between now and the end of the season.

Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba will be fun...

Just now, villalad21 said:

Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Pogba will be fun...

Our relegation won’t be defined by games against the big teams remember. It’s against the likes of Watford, Southampton and Bournemouth etc... where we need to make it count. 

Just now, jim said:

Our relegation won’t be defined by games against the big teams remember. It’s against the likes of Watford, Southampton and Bournemouth etc... where we need to make it count. 

Can't believe he said that after the City game. Sends out the wrong message to the players. To just disregard certain games.

Â