Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Makes you wonder also, does he actually have a very discernible coaching ethos, how he wants to play the game etc or was it all just bluff and bluster. I think Brentford had a philosophy that came from their 2 DOF'S and a well run proper scouting network, and Dean steered it. What's kind of apparent now is, he was never driving it.  I mean take Hassenhutl for example. Their shape is fantastic, play good football, their work rate is phenomenal and they'll be even better next season you'd imagine. He improved them. Well coached. Dean just can't seem to make any imprint or improve this group. Would you trust him to go again next season ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Makes you wonder also, does he actually have a very discernible coaching ethos, how he wants to play the game etc or was it all just bluff and bluster. I think Brentford had a philosophy that came from their 2 DOF'S and a well run proper scouting network, and Dean steered it. What's kind of apparent now is, he was never driving it.  I mean take Hassenhutl for example. Their shape is fantastic, play good football, their work rate is phenomenal and they'll be even better next season you'd imagine. He improved them. Well coached. Dean just can't seem to make any imprint or improve this group. Would you trust him to go again next season ?

No, regardless of division. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

when you are happy with keeping a clean sheet for 70 minutes and lose 2-0....something fundamentally is amiss

This is nonsense TRO! Who exactly is ‘happy’ to have lost 2-0?

Im not a massive Smith fan and believe that his ceiling is probably mid-table (with an appropriate squad) but I came into the season with a sense of realism

In July 2019 I said that with the squad we had 17th place would be a good result - that is still not out the question.

We have a very poor squad with minimal PL experience. We got rid of 18 players and bought 15 in of very average quality.

If we go down I’m 100% behind Smith to bring us back up. If by some miracle we stay up I’d be happy to replace Smith but only if it was for a really high calibre manager

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are just too many things to mention....and its all been said.

when you are happy with keeping a clean sheet for 70 minutes and lose 2-0....something fundamentally is amiss.

The squad is not good enough, but imo its more than that.

This happens like 90% of the time when a vastly superior side plays an inferior one. It's a gulf in quality, you're reading into it more than that. Not a single team managed to beat Liverpool or even keep a clean sheet at Anfield for almost 3 years, including much better teams than us such as, I don't know the team with the record for most points in a single season etc. I'd be astonished if there was something fundamentally amiss with every one of those, what, 30 teams?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

So was last season, when we had a clearly defined style of play and coaching ethos that led us to promotion a fluke or something? Hangover from Brentford, which has since subsided?

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I think people are playing down our squad too much just as an excuse for Smith. A better manager would have gotten more out of them this season.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

If we go down I’m 100% behind Smith to bring us back up. If by some miracle we stay up I’d be happy to replace Smith but only if it was for a really high calibre manager

Does that mean then he gets a free pass when it comes to recruitment ? He gave the green light ( Purslow told us the final decision lies with Smith ) to sign these players. I definetely think hes been sold short by a deplorable sporting director who should without doubt be sacked but what worries me, especially going forward if we stick with Smith, is it's apparent he wanted this job so so bad and was willing to maybe be dictated to a little, his assistant manager picked for him ( just bizzare ) and an i pick one you pick one transfer policy relationship with the sporting director. I don't think Dean is strong enough to say " No sorry, im not having that "

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

So was last season, when we had a clearly defined style of play and coaching ethos that led us to promotion a fluke or something? Hangover from Brentford, which has since subsided?

Grealish returning from injury. He had the best striker in the division. We werent playing mind blowing football in a league where your weaknesses as a manager aren't nearly as exposed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I think people are playing down our squad too much just as an excuse for Smith. A better manager would have gotten more out of them this season.

Starting XI today

Reina in his late 30s probably his last league games as a professional

Konsa potential Premier League player at moment a top half Championship defender

Hause midtable Championship defender

Mings a lower half Premier League defender

Taylor midtable Championship defender

Luiz and McGinn lower to midtable Premier League player

Jack top 6 player

El Ghazi lower to midtable Premier League

Davis a League 1 striker

Trezeguet Vanarama League if lucky

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Grealish returning from injury. He had the best striker in the division. We werent playing mind blowing football in a league where your weaknesses as a manager aren't nearly as exposed.

Aha, so now the quality of the players at his disposal are considered. Very interesting. 

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

West Ham have a better squad than us and sacked the manager at Christmas and havent got near 40 points yet. Not sure what magician we could have signed

2 points in 9 matches. Doesn’t take a magician to win 1 and lose 8 and still have done better. 

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

2 points in 9 matches. Doesn’t take a magician to win 1 and lose 8 and still have done better. 

that doesnt get to 40 points which is what you said we would be on

20 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

This is nonsense TRO! Who exactly is ‘happy’ to have lost 2-0?

Im not a massive Smith fan and believe that his ceiling is probably mid-table (with an appropriate squad) but I came into the season with a sense of realism

In July 2019 I said that with the squad we had 17th place would be a good result - that is still not out the question.

We have a very poor squad with minimal PL experience. We got rid of 18 players and bought 15 in of very average quality.

An earlier poster said as much....in the reactions thread.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Aha, so now the quality of the players at his disposal are considered. Very interesting. 

Mate, dunno where u are going with this. I'm saying i think we should make a change for next season. Just my opinion.

It's easy to write down all our players names and write something negative next to it, before the season started people were doing the same but writing something positive next to it. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. They've performed well at this level earlier in the season, so we know that they can do it, whateverit may be there's something more to this bad run that we're on.

Just now, Zatman said:

that doesnt get to 40 points which is what you said we would be on

Ha ha. Fair enough. I was being somewhat flippant. Bar a 10 game spell last season we have underperformed under his management. I believe an experienced and intelligent manager would have done much better. He has done nothing of note in the game and that is unlikely to change now.

• Like 1

My argument is under Dean every attacking player has got steadily worse as the season has progressed.

El Ghazi carried some threat, now non existent. Same with Samatta who was a breath of fresh air when he first joined, now he offers as much goal threat as John Terry's lucky pants. Trez didn't do much but he did occasionally score goals or offer some form of threat now he is the new Tonev.

Davis does nothing, he doesn't win headers from set pieces or shoot on goal more than once every three games. McGinn is probably lacking match sharpness but he rarely even looks a shadow of the player that started the season. Even Grealish's form has gone steadily down hill.

You could argue Hause and Konsa have improved since the restart and Luiz definitely has. But there is no confidence or belief in that team when it comes to creating or converting chances. Who can you blame that on other than the coach?

It's definitely not all Dean's fault, but he has to carry a large share of the blame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Does that mean then he gets a free pass when it comes to recruitment ? He gave the green light ( Purslow told us the final decision lies with Smith ) to sign these players. I definetely think hes been sold short by a deplorable sporting director who should without doubt be sacked but what worries me, especially going forward if we stick with Smith, is it's apparent he wanted this job so so bad and was willing to maybe be dictated to a little, his assistant manager picked for him ( just bizzare ) and an i pick one you pick one transfer policy relationship with the sporting director. I don't think Dean is strong enough to say " No sorry, im not having that "

No not a free pass but I think the real failures have been the definite Suso signings. Wesley, Trez, Nakamba, Samatta. I think some will accuse him of being guilty of being naive in accepting them but given he agreed to work within a structure and will have little form info to work from I’ve some sympathy

If Smith had been solely responsible then I believe Phillips, Beneama and Maupay May well be here now and we would be much better off 

Whatever, We need to be far far better during this summers recruitment

Â