Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Wow, you guys are depressing, why even bother to watch Villa.  Following Villa through thick and thin I’m with you but turning up defeated before each game, depressing each other further before even kick off....I feel sorry for you! I always go into a game with a bit of hope.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely hilarious. Going to use this more often.

Smith OUT despite having clay that's made of donkey dirt. Oh, and he has to compete in the Premier League because he got us promotion after taking over from a monstrous mess.

Looking forward to the reply.

Absolute, Donkey Dirt......I will have to use this more often.u🤪

19 hours ago, VillaCas said:

When was this TRO?

Sometime ago, Dalian Atkinson got the winner iirc.....can't remember the exact date.

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I was going to bite, but I think we've done this circle too many times now.

Yeah, there is seriously no point anymore. 

The manager is getting the rest of the season. Best to just ignore the constant insults and moaning about him now. 

Let him try and save us and see what happens. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NSmith22 said:

It was also rumored that many of those “Smith signings” were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices. If we had Webster, Phillips, Benhrama, and Maupay we’d likely be sitting where Sheffield are. Phillips fills the role of both Nakamba and Luiz. Maupay covers Wesley and Samatta. Webster covers Konsa and Engels. Benhrama covers Trezeguet and Jota. We needed to fill a squad but we could have gone for potential and cheap for the bench instead of spreading £10-£15 million signings across 3-4 positions. That’s rolling the dice with injuries but it’s better than completely wasting transfer funds. 

I think we could have picked up Jay Rodriguez and or  Dwight Gayle, which would have been better that what we did.

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Where have you plucked this from?

If that was the case, do you think Smith would consider naming a weaker team to relegate us and keep himself in a job?  If not, why post it? It's a really strange thought.

I know former managers were totally focused on themselves and never once thought of the best interests of the club, but Smith isn't a man who thinks like that.

Erm? The man next door.

A really strange thought?.....not to me it isn't.

shows how we think differently.

Well it looks like West Ham have found that elusive fight....required.

hope Dean can instill some in us.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we could have picked up Jay Rodriguez and or  Dwight Gayle, which would have been better that what we did.

Together they have 1 more goal than Wesley and Samatta combined 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I was going to bite, but I think we've done this circle too many times now.

No need to bite, just justify.

If it was was any other manager he would be hounded and booed by now, you know that, an we are not doing that, though only due to sentiment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No need to bite, just justify.

If it was was any other manager he would be hounded and booed by now, you know that, an we are not doing that, though only due to sentiment.

Well also the stadiums are empty 

If I remember was heavy booing in the West Brom game last season 

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Have you accepted we've won any games yet or are you still sticking the bottom lip out?

We've dropped a massive 19 points from winning positions... 19!

You can bury you head in the sand all you want and throw out a silly insult to anyone who doesn't agree with you but that's the reason I said we throw in the towel during matches.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually put in a good performance today (but still lost), and then follow it up in the comparatively more winnable game against Man United with another abject surrender. We've done that a few times this season.

• Like 2

Don't think Man. United is any more winnable than Liverpool away currently.

The ultimate pee take will be playing like our lives depended on it and lose 2-1 again and then be complete no shows v Palace and lose that 1-0 meekly. If we win that one I'm pretty confident we'll take things into the last day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Why the little digs @TRO? This isn't the first one. 

I've just been in the Steve Bruce thread, selected a random page (2000) and read your posts going back 10 pages. (Was looking for one about villa fans hounding out managers because I'm sure you've made this point but I may be wrong).

What I found instead was you saying, and I'm paraphrasing: that he is the manager, has the managers hot seat and as such deserves our support. Does Dean not deserve this? If not, why treat them differently? Why does Bruce deserve our support and not Dean.

You said, he is a man who will give it his all and as such deserves our support. Dean is a villa fan, he is absolutely giving this his all. So, why doesn't he deserve your support? Why is he treated differently?

"There is only so much you can coach.....The clay on the potters wheel has to be of merchantable quality, else the potter can not make a pot of any worth."

This is a quote from the Steve Bruce thread. Why have you not made this point with regard to Smith? With regard to Smith, it's about he hasn't made the players better. Why?

The inconsistency isn't blatant, but it's definitely there. It doesn't seem fair to me.

• Firstly that was an exaggerated joke, but yes i was making a point, i guess.
  • The manager does deserve support, and when in the ground i do....but the truth deserves to be aired too....i can only say it ,as I see it, i cannot talk for you. If you followed my posts carefully, you would see, despite us losing out on that final, which was disappointing, the 24 wins and the ability to sign effective players like Terry, Abraham and McGinn, made me feel he deserved supporting.....However, the 11 games the next season, was not the same and our journey was looking in danger, the resolute defending was getting breached the attraction was waning....if you read my posts with impariality, you will know, i wanted him gone, when he went, maybe cabbage free, because, i don't want that episode fir any of our managers....You think you can glean a bias from my posts between Smith and Bruce, fine, i am not in control of your interpretation, but I can assure you, its not meant....I will confess to you, i get really miffed and frustrated at poor defending and sloppy goals conceded on a regular basis....I have not got much time for that.
  • Dean for me seems like a good man, but in my eyes not tough enough or deliberate enough, his interviews to me seem passive and nebulous, lacking a clear understanding of what he gleans from our games, its all little sound bites and generalisations, no real depth or substance in his assessments.
  • I have no doubt Dean is doing his best, that is not in question, I just think he maybe out of his depth, which saddens me, because i really wanted it to work....if like has been mooted that he never got his first choice signings, then he deserves empathy on that, but he must stand stronger, with those that deny him his first choice signings....how can he develop a team based on that...He has to find a way of defending himself better.
  • My quote you cling too.....I still stand by ...there is only so much a coach can do, but improvement no matter how small should be acheived....I have seen flaws in players all season....I have seen an unwilligness to get close to opponents all season, thats training ground stuff and a lack of a demanding approach to work.I have seen us constantly losing out on high balls, surrendering initiative to stronger opponents, that should be worked on.
  • I cannot just make the same comparisons, to make it easy for you to comprehend....i make them on what i feel and not what YOU think I feel.

I don't give a fiddlers toss which manager we have, where he comes from or what his background is as long as he wins more games than he loses, improves us, no matter how gradual and signs players that have an even chance of making us better.

There is no agenda, with me, no matter how much you look for it and think you have found it....Sure, i make errors and i have been known to change my mind, when i feel it appropriate to do so,my prerogative.

My comments on managers are about what they do, not what they are, well thats how i mean it to be.....if Dean went on a winning run or cured our defensive flaws my comments would change....since Lockdown, defensively we have been better, he just needs to add a few wins.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The ultimate pee take will be playing like our lives depended on it and lose 2-1 again and then be complete no shows v Palace and lose that 1-0 meekly. If we win that one I'm pretty confident we'll take things into the last day.

I think today is the more winnable game of the 2 especially if Liverpool still celebrating

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Wow, you guys are depressing, why even bother to watch Villa.  Following Villa through thick and thin I’m with you but turning up defeated before each game, depressing each other further before even kick off....I feel sorry for you! I always go into a game with a bit of hope.....

I think we are exercising our motto "prepared"

prepared for what we know is coming.

but don't be depressed by other peoples comment, have the courage of you own convictions and stick with the win.

But why do we watch it, when we know whats coming?......good question.

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I would bet a sizable sum of money on this happening.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we are exercising our motto "prepared"

prepared for what we know is coming.

but don't be depressed by other peoples comment, have the courage of you own convictions and stick with the win.

But why do we watch it, when we know whats coming?......good question.

I understand the completely defensive stance of preparing for worst so you’ll never be disappointed and if the worst doesn’t happen then it’s a bonus but that’s not the way I’m tuned because most of your thoughts are then sad thoughts.  I read that we were going to get beaten easily by Sheff Utd but we didn’t, people talk about how bad we are but we are slowly climbing to safety as BMouth and Watford are worse than us.  We’ve already climbed from 19th to 18th....yes that’s poor but it’s going in the right direction. 

Â