Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Waking up to seeing Jack and Deano's threads in other football in the space of 3 months, how quickly the tables turn in football :(

It certainly is the end of a golden era for the club in its recent history. 

EdIKoXL.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Feel like he should have been given more time, we know that team can play well.

He was our leader for some of the best villa moments I’ve ever witnessed as a fan and I’ll love him for it forever.

Feels ashame for it to end like this. 

Good luck deano. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

It certainly is the end of a golden era for the club in its recent history. 

EdIKoXL.jpeg

Going to look fond on this period in our history for years to come. Doubt we'll ever top the ecstasy and feel-good factor of those years.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Lineker still an idiot

Yeah I don't agree with that, it's not knee jerk or panicky

Players weren't performing for him, not sure if it's deano or the changes we've made in the back room or the change we've made at captain or what but we're sleepwalking as a team 

That's why I find it so disappointing, these players can and will play better for someone else, pisses me off with villa because it happens too often 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I was the biggest Smith supporter and even I can see there was nothing knee-jerk about this decision. We've been leading up to this for almost a year.

Same here. I absolutely love Deano but Lineker is wide off the mark.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was the biggest Smith supporter and even I can see there was nothing knee-jerk about this decision. We've been leading up to this for almost a year.

? You've literally just said in your previous post that it's only the way the recent fixtures lined up that got him sacked and he looks pretty rosy otherwise.

Edited by est1874

30 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The socials seem to be full of people saying "Big mistake" and similar.

Dean had a 36% win percentage during his time at Villa.

As much as we loved him, I don't understand how anyone can go defending that, especially with the money spent.

Considering where we were thats not a bad win %.

It will take a lot more money than that to reach 45-50%

• Like 1

Just now, est1874 said:

? You've literally just said in your previous post that it's only the way the recent fixtures lined up that got him sacked and he looks pretty rosy otherwise.

Rosier =/= pretty rosy.

I also said, in that same post, that losing 5 in a row was the killer...but it wouldn't be a killer if things had been exceptional beforehand. They were just about acceptable, which was the point being made by the post I quoted.

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

As much as we loved him, I don't understand how anyone can go defending that, especially with the money spent.

Because of the significant changes he instigated.  Whilst I hate the money side of football, you can just as easily misspend it, it doesn't guarantee anything so not sure why how Lange spent the money is relevant to how Dean managed the product of that spend? (If of course, Lange is responsible for transfers?)

27 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You're skipping over the 36% win rate to focus on money. If I'd said "especially with having one of the best players in the world at his disposal for the majority of his tenure", you'd probably have pointed out all the games he missed due to injury? 

It's irrelevant that Dean had to build a team. That's what managers do, that's a huge part of the job, and we can only judge him on the job done.

I'm sad to see him go, but the numbers don't lie; he wasn't good enough. 

Or the constraints were such he could not succeed?

Just now, macandally said:

Says forum poster with not even a thousandth of professional experience that Lineker has?

Is it possible he is right and you are not?

You say that but if I had to bet on who actually watches us every week it wouldn't be Lineker... 

That's why I don't rate the opinion of any of these pundits, they don't watch us unless they have to 

39 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Considering where the club was, we didn’t just need a win %, fat Sam can get you one of those. 

we needed a lot sorting at the club and he helped massively with that. 

I think this decision may bite us in the arse tbh. 

it’s not going to be a good end to 2021, we will still be 15-20th come New Year’s Eve 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It was perfectly fine until this season for me

We had a team capable of promotion, got promoted

Built a team to stay up, stayed up 

Improved that team to push up the table, pushed up the table

Put together a team stabilising in midtable... And we're struggling but it's not impossible

If you're judging him on win percentages suggesting that we should be higher up the league then I disagree, the players aren't there, our league positions under Smith have been reflective of the team that we have

So, just so I'm clear on your view, you think we should definitely have stuck with Dean?

I really think that because many clubs do sack managers on frequent basis, many people not associated with Villa will see this as a knee jerk decision.

I think that people fail to see we have really good ownership that want Europe, and aren't simply looking to make up the numbers anymore. We shouldn't be seen as a Crystal Palace or a Brighton. 

This decision wasn't based on 5 games - it was the entire season (and back end of last season) of inconsistency.

Everyone wishes Smith well, and I'm confident the owners will have a good replacement.

But this isn't a shortsighted decision. This is long term planning, as unfortunate as it is for us and Smith.

• Like 2

Â