Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think the measure of his success here can be taken from the outpouring of warmth toward him today on here. How often can that happen after a manager has been sacked?!

He made it fun to support us again and brought pride back. My favourite manager in my lifetime. He’s responsible for some of my favourite moments - Wednesday & Rotherham away in the 10 game run, play off final, 7-2 etc.

Can’t wish him anything other than the absolute best for whatever he goes on to do and hope we see him back at VP to support the team in the future!

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

For me he is in a small group of managers, Saunders, Atkinson, Little, Gregory and Smith, all of whom I was gutted when they left. In most instances it was the right decision.

Thank you Dean, top man.

You have picked in my view the best 5 managers in that time.

Would disagree about it being the right decision in Saunders and Little cases.And maybe even Smith.

4 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

My favourite manager of my lifetime, overall he's done a great job for us but felt the time is right for a change. I wish him well for the future and thank him for some fantastic memories! 

MON was my favorite manager of my lifetime.

Saw us challenging for top 4 something I'm not sure I will ever be able to see again.

Smith comfortably the best manager of the last decade though.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

First time he's been sacked.

Let's see what he does post Villa.

Managers who leaves Villa tend to turn to shit.

McLeish, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo, O Neill. None of them done anything significant after Villa.

Leave it out please 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

‪Can’t shake the sadness over this…‬
‪We’ll never have this connection again.‬
‪Dean clearly cares deeply about this club.‬
🙁

About his club 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

He’s been absolutely **** from all angles, club needed to make a call and I’m not mad at them but he’s a victim of circumstance here.

Not sure we’ll ever know whose decision the new coaches were, but I hope Shakespeare, Danks and probably McPhee go because we don’t need continuity here.

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all Dean, you are a true Villa hero and will be remembered purly with appreciation - something not many Villa managers over the last years can say.

As I said in a post earlier today - in one way I think it's good that he goes now, before the atmosphere becomes toxic, now he can leave with his head high. What he has done for this club the last three years is incredible. 

• Like 2

Perhaps it was inevitable that this was needed. We need a new start post Championship-era, post relegation battle, post-Jack. To now take the next step and compete for European places we probably need to reboot. We also need to upgrade the squad and replace the ones connected with the Championship and bring in players who aspire to be a top PL team, not to go up to the PL and stay there. 

Absolutely loved the bloke during his time here. For the first time in a long time, it felt like the board, manager, coaches, players and fans were all singing from the same hymn sheet. He brought the feel good factor back to the club and gave us some fantastic memories.

However, I do think that it was the right decision from the board. It seemed that something wasn't quite right, and the spark had gone. Some of the decisions regarding selections/formations reflected those of a manager who is panicking and losing control. It's going go be a gamble, sure, but someone has to make these big decisions, and the last thing we'd want to do is wait until it's too late.

Â