Dean Smith

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think the DM article is likely to be nonsense. Where would they have got their information from? Have we ever leaked stuff to the DM before?

The fact that it's an article in the Daily Mail is enough to prove its nonsense 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem is Pete, it was mooted after the heavy Leicester defeat at home, which was nearly 2 seasons ago...that he maybe on borrowed time.

sure we had a good season 2020/21....but the sequence of results has a familiar tone to them, under closer scrutiny.....last season, we did manage to limit the back to back losses, that happened 4 times, we have to go back to the relegation scrap of 2019/20 to see the 4 losses on the trot, that happened twice, plus 2 x 3 losses on the trot.

Yes that could indeed be a factor. There is no doubt after the Leicester game he was on the verge but Covid helped to save him and post Covid we got our act together somewhat. That occasion may have been Smith's little bit of latitude from CP and NSWE and he may not have that this time around 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our owners never wanted Henry, it was made up by a journalist, quite possibly in order to highlight Henry's availability for a job, but he was never considered by our owners.

Fair enough. And thank God for that.

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I think the DM article is likely to be nonsense. Where would they have got their information from? Have we ever leaked stuff to the DM before?

Didn't they break the Bailey story but a different journalist 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Farlz said:

If Saints batter us on Friday and we lose that’ll be the end for Smith I’m certain. This is gonna be as big as it gets, he has to get it right. 

Smith has turned it around from the death before and I fully believe he can do it again. It can’t end like this. 

JWP scares me for Friday

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I don't think anyone can complain if we replace Smith. He has been great for us in terms of getting us to where we are, and every Villa fan appreciates that so much.

Unless you're a complete tool bag.

But, if he's sacked, it won't be a knee-jerk reaction. It won't be like Spurs have done with Nuno and we bin him off after 10 league games. This calendar year, from Grealish being out injured, all the way to where we are now, has been poor. It has just been offset by the odd highlight. e.g. Last 2 games of last season, the Leon Bailey cameo against Everton, the win at Old Trafford. However, even this season you can counter that with the Watford 1st half performance, the Spurs performance, and the collapse at home to Wolves.

Smith's PPG record, and his overall record without Grealish, is not great and it feels like we're heading back to where we were in his first season back in the PL.

The current manager deserves to go down as a bit of a hero at Villa Park for everything he has done to get us to where we are, but that doesn't excuse him from the same criticism and scrutiny as any other PL manager where things have not been great for a while.

Big clubs make big, sometimes difficult, decisions when needed. Obviously the Spurs decision to replace their manager was an extreme, but they have a plan and are acting on it to get the club to where they feel it needs to be. I won't complain if we do the same now.

Good post JS but I think it's come a little early - I don't think his fate is sealed yet and I'd consider it a little rash to sack him at this point. Patience isn't finite, though. The next 3 games will tell the tale, IMO. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I don't think anyone can complain if we replace Smith. He has been great for us in terms of getting us to where we are, and every Villa fan appreciates that so much.

But, if he's sacked, it won't be a knee-jerk reaction. It won't be like Spurs have done with Nuno and we bin him off after 10 league games. This calendar year, from Grealish being out injured, all the way to where we are now, has been poor. It has just been offset by the odd highlight. e.g. Last 2 games of last season, the Leon Bailey cameo against Everton, the win at Old Trafford. However, even this season you can counter that with the Watford 1st half performance, the Spurs performance, and the collapse at home to Wolves.

Smith's PPG record, and his overall record without Grealish, is not great and it feels like we're heading back to where we were in his first season back in the PL.

The current manager deserves to go down as a bit of a hero at Villa Park for everything he has done to get us to where we are, but that doesn't excuse him from the same criticism and scrutiny as any other PL manager where things have not been great for a while.

Big clubs make big, sometimes difficult, decisions when needed. Obviously the Spurs decision to replace their manager was an extreme, but they have a plan and are acting on it to get the club to where they feel it needs to be. I won't complain if we do the same now.

Excellent post. Bang on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Good post JS but I think it's come a little early - I don't think his fate is sealed yet and I'd consider it a little rash to sack him at this point. Patience isn't finite, though. The next 3 games will tell the tale, IMO. 

I think the owners are fed up with the lack of consistency just like the fans are.

They will feel like they have given him the tools and he isn't delivering.

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

You're spot on. He helped saved the club and has delivered some of our most memorable results in recent history. 7-2, Double over Arsenal, first win against United in forever.  This has coincided with an improvement year on year.

For the first time it looks like he's going backwards, and maybe that he's reached his limit. 

I think he gets the Southampton game to turn it around. If we lose that not sure we can hold on much longer before forcing a change in our fortune. 5 losses in a row is not acceptable, even accounting for the injuries we've got. Only grace for him is the club didn't sign a player in the position we needed after losing Grealish. 2 right wingers and a striker did not replace what we'd lost.

• Like 1

To me, whether the decisions was Smiths or not from what we are led to believe… o’kelly and Terry leaving feels like it was the beginning of the end to me… they seemed like well respected and good guys to have around which obviously had an influence with the good team spirit which seems to have disappeared. We have a coach for everything now and feel like it’s a too many cooks situation. The players are clearly struggling to get to grips with systems that are trying to be implemented… whether this is a transition period that should be bared with who knows right now. But what I’m certain of personally is smiths decision to drop Mings smacked of a manager trying to prove to fans he wasn’t afraid to make a decision like that and it felt wrong. Yea mings has his critics but the whole team has been making mistakes at the moment and the captain is not the fall guy right now. Our team over the last 2/3 years has been built on it team work and togetherness.. huge cracks. I’m pointing my fingers at the men either side of DS at the moment…they probably need time themselves but just doesn’t feel right. 

16 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Spot on.

There's no ill feelings from any of us but I'm sorry there are better managers out there, more importantly right now we need to get out of this horrible run of form we're in and Deans got a lot of square pegs and he's trying to fit them in round holes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I think the owners are fed up with the lack of consistency just like the fans are.

They will feel like they have given him the tools and he isn't delivering.

He lost his biggest tool just before the season started. And I use that word in all senses.

As I said earlier, I think our issues this season have so far been almost entirely down to recruitment. The team is very unbalanced. 

Whilst DS needs to take responsibility for that, he is not entirely responsible for recruiting. 

Also, having players in the squad is one thing, them being available for selection is another.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Spot on.

There's no ill feelings from any of us but I'm sorry there are better managers out there, more importantly right now we need to get out of this horrible run of form we're in and Deans got a lot of square pegs and he's trying to fit them in round holes.

The question I would have then, is if a new manager can't do anything about the square peg, round hole thing until January, why would we sack DS now?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

The question I would have then, is if a new manager can't do anything about the square peg, round hole thing until January, why would we sack DS now?

I think the conventional wisdom would be, to give the new manager time to settle in, get to know the squad and coaching staff, and assess the priorities for January recruitment.

Â