Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, hippo said:

should we decide to make a change we should do likewise. but I'm not holding my breath. Eddie Howe or Lampard for example would appear to just be changing the name over the door.

I agree completely. Even more reason not to make a change

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Just Because!!!!?!??!!

You guys are f***ing killing me. 

He's met every challenge set for him since he joined. Every. One. despite a core of our fan base (we all know) desperately wanting him to fail so that they can be proven right when they said he was the wrong appointment. 

And now we are on a downward spiral, as I said it isn't just a few games it is this calendar year. 1.17 PPG in 2021, Is that good enough? 

What is the plan going forward? We have been getting progressively worse as the year has gone on, the odd good result here and there doesn't change that. 

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Just Because!!!!?!??!!

You guys are f***ing killing me. 

He's met every challenge set for him since he joined. Every. One. despite a core of our fan base (we all know) desperately wanting him to fail so that they can be proven right when they said he was the wrong appointment. 

i dont think anyone with half a brain can argue he was the wrong appointment, the guy got us out of the champ at the first go, kept us up, and led us to a mid table finish last season, no arguing that he was the right appointment and has done what was asked of him.

there is however a reasonable debate, as to whether he is the right person to take us forward, which is a whole other debate and everyone has an opinion on it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think anyone with half a brain can argue he was the wrong appointment, the guy got us out of the champ at the first go, kept us up, and led us to a mid table finish last season, no arguing that he was the right appointment and has done what was asked of him.

there is however a reasonable debate, as to whether he is the right person to take us forward, which is a whole other debate and everyone has an opinion on it.

Question for me is can he stop the rot. With Newcastle set for a funded overhaul in Jan ...I'm seeing us in the mix as it stands.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

As much as I like Smith and want him to succeed I'm resigned to  him having reached his heights.

Villa look disjointed, we start the games so slowly and tactically we look inept.

This is the main reason why Nuno has gone as I was reading tactically over their last few games they've lost the plot

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Anyway, I'm not saying we should keep DS here in perpetuity, I'm just saying it's fair to give him more than a quarter of a bloody season to sort shit out, especially since he is only partially involved in player recruitment. 

Unfortunately fairness doesn't come into it. We cannot risk relegation, if Deano continues to get these results and play like we are playing he must leave the club and be replaced with someone to try and help us protect our PL status

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

He is two games short of a 3rd of a season. How long do you propose given we are getting worse?

I would agree if there were one sign of positive change but there isn’t, things are getting worse and confidence is ebbing away. 

It wouldn’t be a panic decision, wait for more games to pass and us be in real trouble would be a panic.

It’s been a completely stop-start season, though, and he’s barely had a chance to work with certain key players.

IMO the only valid reason for getting rid at this point is if he’s totally lost the dressing room, and they’re actively trying to get him sacked. If that’s the case, then his days are numbered.

If it’s purely about form, and the vast majority of the players are still behind him, then he should be given time to turn it around. I don’t see the benefit of sacking him in that scenario and then scrabbling around for a replacement when nobody obvious is available.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

That's 2 wins ........which seem elusive right now. 

Six points is huge.

Its not just two wins though. There are 9 clubs we would need to get zero points for us to get to the European places. When you are down at the lower end of the table we need a lot of clubs above us to make a significant move upwards

No thanks to Gerrard.

Will be a travelling circus if he's appointed kind of similar to when we got Sherwood in.

I can imagine the vomit inducing tapping the YNWA sign in the Anfield tunnel along with clapping the kop end ignoring our fans the way Houllier did.

I think if Smith doesn't get 6 points out the next two he's gone.

Edited by AshVilla

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I can't see Smith surviving if we don't get a reasonable points return (or at least a significant uplift in performance) from the next 3 games. 

We definitely need at least one win but I think the performances will count for more than the points. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I can't see Smith surviving if we don't get a reasonable points return (or at least a significant uplift in performance) from the next 3 games. 

It'd be unlikely and I don't think he'd have many complaints if we were to lose, say, 6 games on the bounce. I do think he has the wherewithal to turn things around, though. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we contradict ourselves alot on here.

On the last bad run, and subsequent turnaround, weren't most fans hailing Shakespeare as the catalyst to it?

Could be right, but it’s my absolute right to move the goal posts when it suits my argument! Still he does have a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a stirrer behind the scenes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Don't know how the above thing isn't displaying posts, but hey.

Anyway, my rebuttal would be that seasons aren't played over 28 games, calendar years or over 10 games of a new season. All selective statistics. 

Fair enough. Do you have some stats that offer hope? In my mind the stats are pretty damning but the performances speak for themselves and don’t rely on anything deemed to be selective. Something rational to cling to would be appreciated.

I'm still for Smith. But if we could get Gerrard or ideally Potter (another villa fan), we would be foolish not to go for it imo. Gerrard has proven himself an excellent manager. And whilst we aren't at the top of the league like rangers he's done an excellent job beating Celtic with lesser players and resources.

Potter though he's a fantastic manager and we should be pursuing him as much as possible. 

If we want to continue to progress, injuries or not, we need to stop these bad runs of form for start, which are beginning to be a trait of Smiths.

Also if these new coaches have been brought in over Smith's head, I would say he hasn't got too long left anyway, they must have been brought in as the board thought we wasn't good enough last season.

I'd say the Southampton game needs to be a winner, if not, he'll be hanging by a thread. Love him or hate him, as a club we need to be winning football games with or without him.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s a disaster waiting to happen. I’d say a fair few of our recent problems are down to Shakespeare. If we were to go down that route, and I doubt we will, then very serious questions need to be asked of Purslow.  The supposed chat with his chauffeur would be cosy compared to his chat with a certain gentleman from Montana and his friend. 

What was the supposed chat with his chauffeur?

Â